Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Could it cause issue's?

GSS

Hi guy's, iv'e given 2 people in my building my Comecast wifi pass word as they can't afford their own.
Now someone else asked to use it..Like the title say's what issues could I have and am I stupid to have given it?:can:

Last edited:

GSS

Huh?:undecided:
When I use my TV's remote the menu feature shows access points to all who have it, which all have the lock key icon..That's actually how the last person asked me, he was told I have it because it shows my Appt #. Why would comcast show all the access points and there must be a way of blocking it?
First illegal thing that comes to mind might be him or them logging on to child ****agraphy:(
You got me really regreting my last 2 decisions..Wow Z raffle somehting to think of..

Last edited:
Can you not change the password? If those other two people come knocking again just tell them you cant give it for legal reasons.
I think normal uses such as streaming, or P2P, or uploading might be more likely issues.:thinking:

GSS

Yup Griande, i'm going to do just that. One guy's had it for over a year, I know him a little but not all that well?:undecided:
The issue's you mention I might have was what I was worrying me but Z 's comment hit the point home..
Best be safe:)

If you're looking at legal reasons, it's certainly against their terms of service.

https://business.comcast.com/terms-conditions-smb#sthash.ghwh6KqH.dpuf

Edit: also if any of them do anything illegal, it's on you since your name is on the service.

To second this, not only is it against terms of service as ZRaffletickt suggests you are held liable for anything illegal being done with the service.

It is also an easy way for someone to get in between secure transactions, decode them or get enough information to compromise your identity.
If you have any apps that store your credit card information, realistically they may be at risk as well.

We've actually had a similar case here in BC (Vancouver and Victoria) where people used public wifi hotspots to find online banking, ID and phone numbers
of people using the service. You'd be surprised how easy it is for a someone with ill intent to steal your identity with an insecure hotspot.

Last edited:

GSS

There was actually a episode of Cop's where they nailed a repeat offender still on parole for the same thing parked in front of houses in a nicer area of town.
He stuck out like a sore thumb in the middle of the night and the idiot had his laptop out loaded with info and probably 20 people's worth of bank accounts statements and all kinds of info written in a ledger. Not the smartest thief considering he had to know his way around the system to get this info:whistle:
Greed I would think:thinking:

Unfortunately, I got here a little late. Yeah, Peter, change your password immediately and don't give it out again. You are not only setting yourself up to be liable for whatever they do online, but you put yourself and any online transactions available to anyone they might give your password to.

One sure way of getting them off of your account is to ask to split the cost, but I wouldn't want to have people on my account going who knows where and doing who knows what on the internet.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

That's what got me thinking about this in the first place. Sure is a good way though to make them think twice about asking again:eg:
The guy across the hall told me he would give me $20 or $25 a month for my Wifi access. Not much considering I pay just about $200 a month for my Comcast package.
It would be nothing but hassles, as the signal isn't even that strong, the first one I gave to lives down the hall, halfway the length of the whole floor and he has trouble getting a good connect..
Steve001's link told me exactly what it's about, it's there for friends or family who have Comcast and a curtisy to them. Those who don't have Comcast, I can only give access to 5 and then there are still other rules..

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd be revoking access pretty quick from both a security and liability standpoint.
It being a secured network opens up all kinds of legal issues if they get on something or download something they shouldn't. If it were insecure, you have a way out of that one here in the states. Depending on your router, you may be able to open up a limited guest AP that limits transfer speeds as well as access to any other devices on the network and their traffic but honestly, it's not worth it given the TOS it would still be violating.