Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Could I possibly live in the most unlucky spot on LPF?

Everywhere I look are blinking lights in the airways. I actually live just 1 mile north of an Air Force base, and 10 miles north east of an airport, and to make things worse I live directly under the most active runway at the base, so playing with laser at night is a nightmare.
Anyone else have this type of misfortune?

anton

I live about 2 miles from an airport and the runway for the planes is positioned directly twords my house so planes are constantly flying over me. It really sucks when when trying to play with lasers

Yea, in Anchorage the international airport is 10 miles away from my apartment, I always have to beam in the opposite direction of the airport if I am doing a night sky beam. Fortunately, the flight path for landing is normally the opposite direction and they aircraft turn right or left before overflying my place, unless approaching from the direct east of me, which happens too, so I had to be careful not to aim too low to the horizon and beam an aircraft too far away to see.

Right now I have aircraft taxing within 200 feet of my tent, that's close.

I live about 2 miles from an airport and the runway for the planes is positioned directly twords my house so planes are constantly flying over me. It really sucks when when trying to play with lasers

Yeah 2 miles is pretty close, I definitely know how you feel when it comes to playing with them at night. Honestly I think the good thing about this airplane situation is that if for some reason you accidentally hit one far away or at least a few miles away they may just go what was that!? It's the morons that continue to keep purposely hitting it over and over are the ones that end up on the news, hopefully this never happens to me or anyone else but if for some reason you ever do then it wouldn't be long enough to make them even notice much as long as you're aware you did it and immediately put it down and try not to make the same mistake. Believe me I cringe every time I have one in my hand and happen to see a plane flying around. I don't even turn it on.

Yea, in Anchorage the international airport is 10 miles away from my apartment, I always have to beam in the opposite direction of the airport if I am doing a night sky beam. Fortunately, the flight path for landing is normally the opposite direction and they aircraft turn right or left before overflying my place, unless approaching from the direct east of me, which happens too, so I had to be careful not to aim too low to the horizon and beam an aircraft too far away to see.

Right now I have aircraft taxing within 200 feet of my tent, that's close.

That's incredible Alaskan, have you ever run into problems with police? Or anyone asking what you're doing? Because I've had the police called on me just once, I had to explain to several officers that responded to the call that I'm an enthusiast and that I am responsible. Kinda nerve racking to be honest.

No, never. In Alaska we are kind of red neck about minding our own business, most of the time. Unless harassing someone or doing something illegal, why pay any inordinate attention?

Radim

That's incredible Alaskan, have you ever run into problems with police? Or anyone asking what you're doing? Because I've had the police called on me just once, I had to explain to several officers that responded to the call that I'm an enthusiast and that I am responsible. Kinda nerve racking to be honest.

Well, quite difficult moments not knowing whether they take your lasers or not. How did they react when you were explaining to them? Did they seem interested in your hobby?

I also live not far from an airport (about 10 minutes car drive), also the final approach is over the area I'm taking pictures often. Luckily it is not very busy and with proper care the pictures can be taken safely. It will be interesting more in summer as charter holiday flights will cause much more traffic.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Why were they called?

I saw a post some time back where one of the members here was using his laser beaming into the night sky when I cop drove by and stomped on his breaks. He came over and said not to worry, he just wanted to see it, thought it was cool. Never point at one though, they can shoot you dead and be justified by the law.

I live within 5 mi of an airport and directly in line with the runway most often used. The aircraft fly right over my head. So I don't go outside with my lasers. I live in the city too, just to top it off.
Ed :beer:

Reactions: GSS

diachi

I'm <2km (~1.2 miles) from the end of the big runway here (there's two, one for lighter aircraft [Twin Otter, BE200 etc] and one for larger aircraft such as the 737s). <3.5km (~2.2 miles) from the main terminal.

I also have the float plane base with the water/ice runway (They use it all year, except during ice breakup/forming) which is 90* to the east of the end of the big runway from my location. It's <4.5km away.

Thankfully not a whole lot of air traffic. :)

Last edited:

Radim

Seems to me like every laserist lives near an airport. :D I know, likely those who have airport nearby post, but let's ask - who has no airport nearby? Define term "nearby" reasonably as you like... I'm just curious...

Yea I'm a few miles from an airport.. but that's ok.. my projectors keep me plenty busy inside.. my kitchen is a nightclub most nights.. fog music and rainbows of laserbeams

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Despite living 20-50 miles away from major airports, being in the flight path to London does have its fair share of air traffic. Including the occasional flypast. :p
Imagine if the latest news story was: Man jailed for shining laser at red arrows during royal flypast. :whistle:
Probably best I stick to indoor lasering. As even though I live just outside the city, we have a lot of snooty individuals. :D

Last edited: