Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Copper convertible M462 build

HI GSS,
The PLTB450B at 1A will give you around 1100 mW's and @ 950mA will bring you just over 1W. It's a nice choice of diode for a lower power pen build.And if the host is a full CU host your duty cycle would be safe.
I have a few of those diodes i just may build a pen today i was modding . It's a Defiant flashlight pen i been working on modding it. Flea market price was 3.00 It will take 2-10440 cells or a single cell with a boost drive.
I think some one stated in an early thread about these pen lights just can't remember who

Rich:)

GSS

HI GSS,
The PLTB450B at 1A will give you around 1100 mW's and @ 950mA will bring you just over 1W. It's a nice choice of diode for a lower power pen build.And if the host is a full CU host your duty cycle would be safe.
I have a few of those diodes i just may build a pen today i was modding . It's a Defiant flashlight pen i been working on modding it. Flea market price was 3.00 It will take 2-10440 cells or a single cell with a boost drive.
I think some one stated in an early thread about these pen lights just can't remember who

Rich:)
Lifetime, it was Bowtie that scooped up a few Defiant flashlights at Home Depot and the thread isnt to old. I'm pretty sure you posted on it. 1W in a host that size might be a decent all around compromise. How much in amps would you need to run a 520nm at 1W and how much in heat will it put out compared to the 450nm at 1W if you had to guess.
Little Edit....I can do a little homework on this question just not feeling 100%
New Edit....Went to my friendly "kiss" guide started by Pman and it seems you have to run the 520nm's pretty hard at 1.4W to get close to 1W good good info. but wondering if you mixed up the settings for the NDG7475 Says 1.8A for 1.8W and 2.4A for 1.4W Let me double check before I put my foot in my mouth like I usually do!

Last edited:
I have had a couple of small heavy copper hosts for some time and I finally got around to putting a build together. I can't remember who I purchased them from but I know it was here in the B/S/T section.

Here's the 2 hosts along with a few laser66/leadlights that I already build but haven't shown. Just waiting to finish 2 more before showing a whole bunch of them. I should have taken more pics of the copper build but I'll show what I did take:
TVhqbP.jpg

There are a couple of small brass ends as focus knobs but they are not threaded so I widened the inside holes slightly to fit regular focus knobs and made them slightly deeper and then glued them in place:
5wcoL7.jpg

SlIP5w.jpg

There's a shelf down inside for the module to press fit to:
TqYIJ1.jpg

Pressed in the diode, soldered and secured the driver and heat-sinked it and then made the aluminum module piece lip thinner/wider:
XCYU5J.jpg

Took a contact board from a small flashlight and trimmed it removing the components and then pressed it onto the end of the aluminum module piece after soldering the driver connections to the contact board:
GUmfkj.jpg

Pressed the completed module inside the host and used some thermal grease although it was really tight anyways:
lrWdUu.jpg

Was going to just build a low powered 462nm with one battery for over 100mW but then realized I could do both by adding a coupleing (very tight) so I can either run it low or at 2.2W with (2) 10440 and a spacer:
O58Tdm.jpg

The tiny magnet on the - battery end as the button contact is flat:
A9CrxU.jpg

gcOpss.jpg

It is perfectly straight. Just an illusion from the pic if it looks bent to your eyes.
Lywoa4.jpg

I'll be adding some beam shots later this afternoon:)

Here is is with a single 10440:
Hcv1xD.jpg

Here's the output with a 3-element because I forgot to put a G2 back in before measuring otherwise it would probably be about 270mW:
CnoJjL.jpg

Shining at a Uranium 1" marble it's too bright even at 208mW:
3lF1W4.jpg

ew0l6V.jpg

1.7+W with the 3-element agoin but it is over 2.2W and will actually spike just past 2.3W on start with a G2:
WBIuU9.jpg

Very bright 1.7W:
FaXB95.jpg

qcjxC6.jpg

About 25' to black wall:
hgJgcT.jpg

:gj: :gj: :topic: