Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool newly discovered BluRay effect(I think)

HIMNL9

Just be careful ..... acetone is a bad beast, and not all the times it act as you can expect ..... i know that 150mw MUST not be enough for blow it, but, safety first, all the times ..... ;)

3zuli

it's cool effect, BUT NEVER PUT YOUR LASER CLOSER TO THE SCREEN THAN 5cm!!! I did, then -ZAP- and this was the end of my 1st PHR :( - tv screen is like a capacitor, few pF charged to 15-25kV, that's enough amount of static electricity to kill your laser

To add to the finger nail polish idea, this works with many dark objects submerged in water (or presumably any liquid with a relatively low boiling point). I first noticed it when focusing on a rock in a fish tank a few years back.

This happens for the same reason that water makes noise right before it boils. The immediate area (ie the bottom of the pan or the focal point of a laser) is hot enough for the water to boil, and so it does. But once the bubble of gas expands, the gas contacts the cooler liquid away from the hot spot and the bubble condenses rather quickly and kind of implodes on itself. Many of these in rapid succession give a crackling noise.

Last edited:
50 WATTS !!! or 50 mW's ????

50 Watts. 50mW is just a class IIIb pointer and would never be sufficient to set off a shotgun primer at any distance.

I have a Melles Griot DPSS putting out just over 2W that would probably work with a beam expander but I never tried it.

I KNOW that 50mW's is just a pointer class (IIIb) laser, & didn't figure it would generate enough heat to set off a shotgun shells primer, that's why I asked. I have another one now. If your Melles Griot DPSS puts out just over 2W, where did you get the 50+W figure from. Is your pal bringing a much more higher powered Gas Laser when he comes over ?

I KNOW that 50mW's is just a pointer class (IIIb) laser, & didn't figure it would generate enough heat to set off a shotgun shells primer, that's why I asked. I have another one now. If your Melles Griot DPSS puts out just over 2W, where did you get the 50+W figure from. Is your pal bringing a much more higher powered Gas Laser when he comes over ?

It's a Z fold Laserscope system that runs on 208V power and is water cooled. It can put out 60W in a stretch and the pencil sized beam will set a fence on fire!

A 50mW blue ray focused would probably set off a shotgun primer that's been removed from the shell and if you shine the laser on the back where the cup is. Not that I would do that! I hold firecrackers in my hand and light the fuse and throw them as can be seen on my unsafe laser video. Shotgun shell primers are nasty. They are fun to shoot at a brick wall with a wrist rocket and are about as loud as a black cat firecracker. You can also put them in the bottom of an oven and you'll know when preheat is done! The wife doesn't care much for it though!

Try various white plastics too. the cheap plastic that my apartments uses for the light switch covers glows better than the tv!