Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool newly discovered BluRay effect(I think)

Well I was shineing my bluray around my room in pitch black darkness, and I just happened to shine it at my tv,not a LCD or plasma,just a normal one. :'(

When I shinned it on the tv there was sort of a streak of "white" where I had shined it,but it oonly lasted for about half a second,it went away FAST! :shocked:

I'm almost positive it just wasn't my eyes reaction to the sudden change of lighting.

Has anyone tried this?

Don't attempt that without laser safety glasses, the TV will easily reflect the beam.

(Not directed directly at the thread starter, just to everyone who is going to go try it out for themselves)

I no you hear this a lot but I stood at such an angle and shinned it at such an angle that I knew exactly where there the reflected beam would emerge from.

But yes I no everyone should always wear safety glasses.

So it was a CRT? CRTs work through cathodoluminescence. Electrons hit a phosphor, excite electrons in the phosphor up to higher energy levels, and when those electrons fall back down to "ground", they emit light. Just as the electrons from the CRT excite the phosphor, so can photons from your laser.

Fluorescence with your laser = photoluminescence, it's the same thing as cathodoluminescence, really, except for one uses a beam of electrons to do the exciting, and one uses a beam of photons to do the exciting.

You mean just an old round-screen TV? I can imaging blu-ray would do something to an LCD, but I wouldn't have thought that kind... Have you done it more than once?

I've done this a few times with my old CRT TV as well, it makes a cool effect, gives a "tail" on the BR dot when you move it around. I couldn't recreate this effect on an LCD, only using 5mW BR for that because I don't wanna burn the LCD.

You can draw on an LCD with a finely focused BRD at 100mW or more. It's like an etch-a-sketch. Problem is you cannot shake it to erase it! It's permanent! So be careful. Word is you NEVER shine a high(er) powered laser at an LCD particularly if it's focused where the beam waist (smallest part) may touch the surface. A 100mW green will also do permanent damage. It's like a row of dead pixels. ;D

For you older ones that remember B&W CRT sets that shrunk as they discharged at power off and the solo beam would project a bright dot in the center for minutes...a BRD reminds me of just that! It's spooky looking.

On older long persistence phosphor tubes (particularly radar scopes) you can draw pictures with the BRD nearly as effective as GITD sheeting. One day I'm gonna get the ceiling in the head tiled with that stuff. ;D

I do this on my TV all the time. Even works on blown diodes. Dim ones.

Nordhavn said:
On older long persistence phosphor tubes (particularly radar scopes) you can draw pictures with the BRD nearly as effective as GITD sheeting.  One day I'm gonna get the ceiling in the head tiled with that stuff.  ;D

Glow in the dark paint? I just picked up a can of GITD spray paint and painted a giant sheet of wood. :D Flashlights work great; I can't wait until my bluray is done... :-/

Hey this is a really old thread but I thought I'd add something else I noticed a while back.

For those that have ladies in the house with finger nail polish pick a bottle and focus your BR down to as small as you can and shine it on the bottle. Move until the waist is close to the inside of the glass. The stuff inside will crackle and pop like crazy from the heat! It almost sounds like an electrical discharge!

daguin

Hey this is a really old thread but I thought I'd add something else I noticed a while back.

For those that have ladies in the house with finger nail polish pick a bottle and focus your BR down to as small as you can and shine it on the bottle. Move until the waist is close to the inside of the glass. The stuff inside will crackle and pop like crazy from the heat! It almost sounds like an electrical discharge!

But DO NOT let her catch you doing this to her nail polish :crackup:

Peace,
dave

Grix

Do not attempt this on LCD's, I burned several pixels on my PC with my dilda once. :(

HIMNL9

Nordhavan ..... and, also, i suggest you to do those experiments outside, on something non flammable, and at a certain distance from your face ..... nail paint polishers is usually acetone, and acetone have a nice and LOW flashpoint threshold ..... (KABOOM) :p

Nordhavan ..... and, also, i suggest you to do those experiments outside, on something non flammable, and at a certain distance from your face ..... nail paint polishers is usually acetone, and acetone have a nice and LOW flashpoint threshold ..... (KABOOM) :p

Hmmm my other post disappeared...

The energy level of 150mW of well collimated 404nm is well below that of being hazardous with a bottle of nail polish.

If I were going to shoot it with 50watts of 532 I'd do it outside or in the blast room!

A friend of mine is coming over this weekend (probably not now because we're forecast to have blizzard conditions now!) to blow up some fall pumpkins. We put 12 ga shotgun shells (game load no high brass!) in the pumpkins flush. I use an orange core cutter that works perfect and the shell fits tight!

He's used to putting them in the field and aiming for the primer with a .22. We're going to be using something a little more high tech though! 50+ watts out of a laser scope! 5.5mm beam with 1mr divergence 200 yards downrange.