Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Convoy S2+ 405nm & 450nm Builds

Hi again - Another in the series of builds I'm putting in Convoy S2+ hosts - This may be my last build log of these for a while as I've settled on a build method that can be replicated with only a very limited range of tools, so if I make any more lasers using this method in the S2+, I won't make new threads for them.

The 405nm is a special wavelength - it's hard to look at the tight dot - almost if the eye isn't capable of viewing the wavelength properly. It looks very different on camera to how it does in person! It looks nice in the box it came in :) I'll keep hold of these in case I ever need to liquidate this collection.

It uses a 405nm S06J-12x diode driven at 270mA by a 17mm round Boost driver from OdicForce. Not fully happy with the noise from this driver, but it was passable for a build like this, cost effective (£8) and seems to work alright. In addition, the driver has reverse-polarity protection and a soft start feature (mine measured at around 30ms to ramp up to full output).

No outdoor beam-shots as I finished it late last night and wanted to sleep instead - but I've included a comparison of four different lasers in my current collection, from left to right; This 405nm, a 445nm Sanwu Guardian 1W, my Green S2+ build, and a 1W 638nm by Trinh Hong Phuoc.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Immo, that's a nice looking build, I really like those Convoy hosts, they make a great starting point for a DIY laser build! :)
Your laser rainbow is growing.

Is your heatsink one of DTR's 20mm units?

Thanks! The copper module & aluminium heatsink are indeed DTR's 20mm ones. Since the thermal connection between the copper and the host is indirect (through the aluminium and then through the brass threads to the host), I'm using the 20mm modules to give it a bit more thermal mass. I'd machine something better fitting if I had a lathe but I'm fine giving that extra duty-cycle up in exchange for enabling me to build at all :)

The Aluminium part was cut down by about 60% to allow the assembly to fit back in the host's head in roughly the same spot as it would with the stock LED reflector, filed & sanded as perpendicular as I could (once again, a tedious step but with a lathe it'd take minutes to face it down instead). The Alu part is glued to the brass with Arctic Alumina epoxy and the driver is locked in with the pill's threaded retaining ring.

Thanks Rich - I do like your Convoy hosts - but since this set is all "low" power (aiming for 100-300mW each) that aspect is less important to me. Having enough space to set up a workshop is not likely to be possible while I'm renting but when I get the opportunity I'd love to experiment with some slightly more ambitious designs like those in your signature before something truly custom :)

Hi no problem oh sorry about all the pics I’m on my phone at work my big fingers don’t swing it

Rich:)

Looks good, Nick. I'm glad you have progressed to building these lasers for yourself. There is a sense of accomplishment when you finish it and it works as well as it looks.

Adding another to this set, it's the same as the 405nm one except in a blue convoy host. Diode is a PLT5 450B singlemode blue diode. Driven from the same Odicforce 17mm driver as the 405nm one.

Unfortunately, I cannot really recommend the Odicforce drivers - They don't seem to regulate all that well and are a pain as components and pads are too close to the edges of the PCB, meaning that they can be shorted easily by the hosts. A better designed driver will eventually be substituted into these but they're working - so I can't moan too much.

I'll also be adding a singlemode Sharp red to this when the host that Trinh Hong Phuoc is making for me gets to me :) Hoping to have a laser in every colour they make this host - So only the red and a cyan to add...