Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Contest (feeler): 2-months, to design a NEW community boost driver!

14V is simply the IC spec. I would modify the circuit to run whatever. I think the 2.7V to 14V IC only had an output capacity of 2.5A... wouldn't be as nice as 3A output but I guess it beats 1.4A =P. Going to put in a order for the parts soon and will be trying to do a preliminary build on copper etched PCB. If the copper build etched PCB works i'll consider building and buying a real PCB. Would be able to power a 445 max with 1 driver! =)

How stingy are you guys on the size? How much bigger than the flex drive is it okay to get?

Last edited:

Generally speaking, the smaller the better. Should be able to fit within a 17mm diameter circle, is my general rule.

Generally speaking, the smaller the better. Should be able to fit within a 17mm diameter circle, is my general rule.

Ouch, thats smaller than a penny! Know of a good common small host to design for? Can't promise that it will be smaller than a penny.

Last edited:
most of the hosts used here can only fit a 17mm round PCB.
you can also go rectangle.. not too wide but a little longer could work

most of the hosts used here can only fit a 17mm round PCB.
you can also go rectangle.. not too wide but a little longer could work

I have to disagree - most hosts make using a rectangular board incredibly difficult, especially if it isn't one sided. That said, circular is *always* better (most area efficient shape) and smaller than 17mm would be great! It's doable, because we have drivers that ARE that size. You just need to be creative ;)

rhd

I think the idea of two-level (not two-layer, but two distinct PCBs) is an interesting one. If it was a choice between a 20mm circular shape, and two 15mm PCBs attached in a stacked formation, I think the latter would be preferable. In essence, you'd be creating a cylindrical shape, which is potentially the most volume efficient size for our hosts.

The AK-007 does it that way, and it's really convenient.

Agree - I think the stacked formation is good. But making it 16mm in diameter would be preferable, either way, so it can fit in most pills.