Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

:confused: Hoping for a lot of feedback - I love this forum

Hi there I have been on the forum for days now reading and reading and getting way to many ideas. Currently I have 39 windows open (most of them this forum) eek :D
I love reading about everyone’s projects but I end up getting more confused the more I read
About who to buy from?
Which heatsink material is better?
Who can I trust (of the people that sell cheap or not so cheap lasers – outside of the forum)
So I am going to try it this way.
I am looking to build 2 lasers for starters
1 RED (200mw 630-650nm) And 1 InfraRed (100mw 808nm)

Hoping to find those in a good quality module that will meet the specs it says it has.
*Do the module’s always include the driver? Pretty sure that is the case.

*Does anyone sell a timer circuit attached to their module?

*AM hoping to find a stock host that will hold everything that has some type of safety lock keylock .. Is there such a thing?

*What is the best material for a heatsink for these 2 laser diodes. Is there one that will work for both types and power?

*What is the most commonly used material for the host?

Is there one set of goggles that will cover both of these lasers?

I love the custom made hosts etc but international shipping is a little scary. I am hoping for contacts in North America.

Ok Thanks for sticking with me this long I know I have a lot of questions. I do appreciate any and all responses. I have tried to do my homework here but your expertise will be appreciated.

Thanks so much …. Jan

Welcome to the forum :D

I suppose I will answer your questions.

1. It depends who you are buying from. A lot of the time, a "module" is just the laser diode and the AixiZ module it comes in (a small, easily handled barrel that you can stick a bare laser diode in). Other times, for instance, with regards to green modules, it'll come with a stock driver.

2. As far as I know, no one sells drivers with timer circuits built in. But those aren't hard to do. Google 555 timer.

3. I know there are a few hosts with locks that you can buy online. I think odicforce.com stocks one. But there are a lot of hosts used around here that don't have locks that are really good for starter lasers (take a look at the Aurora C6).

4. When it comes to heatsinking, copper is by far superior to any other metal (with the exception that some consider silver slightly better). So, if you are looking for optimal run times, then I'd go with copper.

5. Typically, hosts are made of aluminum, but really, they can be whatever you want them to be made out of! However, I would caution against anything besides aluminum, copper, or silver, because most other metals have a poor thermal conductivity compared to those.

6. Take a look at EaglePair on SurvivalLasers.com. I believe there is a pair of goggles there that will cover ~600nm-1064nm or so. Those should do.

7. There are lots of machinists in the United States that will do custom hosts for you. Just gotta search around for some that you like :D

Again, welcome to the forum. Don't be put off asking questions because some of the people here will just tell you to use the search bar. If you seem like you've done you're own reading, people like me will always be willing to help!

Welcome!

We have a thread in the forums explaining which companies are reputable and which aren't.
That's about as much help as I can be :)

By the way: I hope you are aware of the dangers of lasers :beer:

"Wolfman" Thank You Very much you have really helped me alot with narrowing down parts/types. With so many choices and suppliers I was simply overwhelmed. I really appreciate your input.
"Tha" Thanks to you as well. No worries about the laser safety. I have some very expensive goggles now that are my best friend

SKeeZ

1: No, many most of the time you have to match the heatsink to the driver.
2: Very hard to find (i have never seen one with out the laser components fully installed)
3: Silver is the BEST heatsink material followed by copper then aluminium.
4: Aluminium
5: Thor Labs LG4 Blue Lens: 12% Visible Light Transmission -prepare to spend money
6: Check peoples info under their avatar, there are many custom host USA manufacturers

Last edited:

NO4H99

For an empty host with a key lock, try Lazerer.com.

I'm not sure about the quality, but think I remember seeing one there for fairly cheap. Might take a while to get to you though.

ARG

Hey - Welcome to the forum! :D

Nice to see another Canadian here. I'm in Vancouver :)

Hi there Arg :) I am on the Island. I am getting pretty close to an order here but then I got nervous about customs (due to the sellers warnings) Do you know which companies are likely to get the paperwork right so there are no delays .. I am pondering Odicforce (UK) and Lazerer in (HK) I think and possibly Aixiz (TX) I am assuming it the specific diodes or modules that could be a problem and not the bits and pieces. Also I came across egismos in Vanc or Seattle Have you ever used them? They have a great price on just some bare diodes I am looking at plus if I hear they are good I may get them to quote on a specific module or 2. I appreciate your input if you can help me with the issues here. I am pretty excited when I see what you all are building Like Wow