Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Concerns about recently purchased Scientech 365 + Calorimeter

So I received my meter today and have tested all of my lasers several times and thought I'd post an update...

I suspect the readings are about 10mW higher across the board than they should be...for example:
My "10mW" O-Like violet pen stabilizes at 18mW after about 10 seconds.
My "50mW" O-like green starts off at about 80-90mW for the first 15 seconds or so, then dips down into the 60-75mW region...This in particular made me suspicious...but I don't know if O-like actually rates this laser as 50mW IR-inclusive, or 50mW of pure green.

The laser that yields readings most near its rated power is my 150mW violet also from O-like; it stabilizes at almost exactly 150mW after about 10 seconds or so.

I also tested each of the laser's power through my focalprice goggles, and the green lets through about 17mW of power, and the 150mW violet lets through about 8mW... The violet numbers through the goggles seem particularly off considering in HIMNL9 thread (http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/cheap-anti-green-goggles-focalprice-o-like-43109.html#post569155) his 177mW violet only lets through .7mW through the same goggles. (I have 3 pairs of these goggles and all three yield similar readings)

So what do you guys think? Do these numbers seem completely off given the lasers?

In any case, I've contacted Scientech about a possible calibrtion; however I am skpetical since it's such an old unit, and would likely cost more to be calibrated than I actually paid for it...Also if there is anyone with the know-how who is willing to calibrate this meter, or even just to compare it to your own calibrated one, let me know!

Last edited:

Now the next inexpensive test would be to get a 200mW to 500mW
Red Laser (because they are more stable) that has bean power tested
on a known calibrated LPM and compare the readings on your LPM... It
is not exact but will give you a bit more info on your meter's calibration...

Jerry

D

Deleted member 8382

I'd rather consider the O-like lasers being overspec than your LPM having any problem. If it shows 18mW for a 10mW pen and you asume it's showing +8mW, then in a 50mW reading it would show 90mW, which isn't the case.

Am I wrong?

Now the next inexpensive test would be to get a 200mW to 500mW
Red Laser (because they are more stable) that has bean power tested
on a known calibrated LPM and compare the readings on your LPM... It
is not exact but will give you a bit more info on your meter's calibration...

Jerry
I will have to look into that, I should probably have a high powered red anyway haha ;) . Nothing sticks out in the Buy/Sell/Trade section at the moment... My ideal scenario would be if Scientech would offer an affordable calibration service for such an old unit...but that seems very unlikely sigh.

Calibration of LPMs by OEMs starts at a few hundred dollars in
my experience...

Your LPM may not be off by as much as you think...IMO

Jerry

I'd rather consider the O-like lasers being overspec than your LPM having any problem. If it shows 18mW for a 10mW pen and you asume it's showing +8mW, then in a 50mW reading it would show 90mW, which isn't the case.

Am I wrong?
I honestly don't know if this is right or not haha but it seems reasonable that if it was off by 8 on one measurement it would be off by more on a higher one...
Calibration of LPMs by OEMs starts at a few hundred dollars in
my experience...

Your LPM may not be off by as much as you think...IMO
Yeah I figured it would be about that much, and at that point I would probably just buy a LaserBee or Kenometer...but I will have to wait and see what Scientech says.

I think you two are probably right about it not being off as much as I thought, the readings seem more reasonable now that I think about it; of course the paranoid OCD part of me would still like it to be accurate within a few mW ;)

D

Deleted member 8382

not only that, we know O-like usually ship overspec lasers! Think about it. If the deviation was like "an offset" and not a %, then shining nothing at it would result in a reading too, wouldn't it?

Not really Albert... the meter has a zeroing feature... and we don't know
if the previous owner played with the calibration adjustments..

Maybe (not saying it is) the calibration has been change to be non
linear... (more variations at lower readings and less at higher readings)...
Just a theory... (if that is even possible with the Scientech LPM)

@n_t.... don't worry too much about it... you have a good idea of the
powers of your lasers until you do a comparison with another LPM.

Jerry

daguin

PM me your email address. I'll send you a copy of the manual for your power meter and your calorimeter.

Peace,
dave

Hey Dave while you are being so generous... :whistle:
would you have a copy of the Manual for the
Scientech 365 + 360201 Head I got from you..:thinking:
If you do... send me a PM with the details and costs..

Jerry

daguin

Hey Dave while you are being so generous... :whistle:
would you have a copy of the Manual for the
Scientech 365 + 360201 Head I got from you..:thinking:
If you do... send me a PM with the details and costs..

Jerry

I should have sent you a copy when you bought it :yabbem:

PM me a reminder of your email address. I will send an attachment. I have the manual for the 36-xxx series of the disc calorimeters, but not the specific one for your calorimeter. What I have will probably tell you everything you want to know anyway. I have the 365's manual.

Email attachments are offered at no extra charge :angel:

Peace,
dave

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Sent a couple PMs...

Also if anyone was wondering, Scientech responded and they DO NOT offer calibration services for such an old meter/head.

daguin

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Sent a couple PMs...

Also if anyone was wondering, Scientech responded and they DO NOT offer calibration services for such an old meter/head.

I didn't realize you had contacted them. They have moved on from these series of meters. You cannot even get parts from them anymore. I'm sure that my Vector S-310 will be out of support soon as well :( (if it isn't already)

Peace,
dave

**EDIT**
Attachments away! They are just under 5Meg. If you need them broken up, let me know