Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Concerned about vision

LSRFAQ

For the most part, the OP is describing simple eye strain. He/She may just need glasses. He/She may just not be used to rapidly changing the accommodation distance/focusing of his/her eyes.

I would not read too much nefariousness into this. But I would get it checked out.

I used to teach school. One of the first things they taught us in Education was to check the vision of students who were having grade point issues in reading. Lots of people slip through life with uncorrected vision and un-needed eye strain. So its not an uncommon thing.

One way to think of this. Spend six months in a Nuclear Sub, submerged on patrol. Then dock, greet your family, and then try to look at the building on the hill five miles away. That is going to hurt, from lack of exercise of those muscles.
When the OP got the laser, they started a new regime of eye exercise. They may not be used to looking around at full accommodation or at close focus.

Caveat, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. I'm just an old fart who has seen this sort of eye strain when I introduce students to lasers in the lab. I once had a visiting laser engineer bring prescription laser safety goggles.
He needed them to reduce eye strain. They do make such things as a custom order.

So if it persists, get it checked out by a optometrist first. Then if need be find a ophthalmologist.

Steve

Last edited:

I meant the kind that block out sun, the type that are photochromic, I'm pretty sure they're a tinted orange color to block low wavelength light, such as UVA & UVB.

Nope. Standard prescription contacts have UVA and UVB protection and are completely transparent. I know because I've worn them most of my life. Prescription glasses have transition lenses that darken when exposed to uv, but not contacts.

USAbro

That's the word. Transition. Yes my mom just bought transition contacts for herself. -1.5 I think

ECBL

Hmm, did this discussion about transitional lenses somehow evolve from mentioning my sister-in-law wears blue eye contacts? I was referring to this kind.
Anyways, @ LSRFAQ, I think my eyes were just too light sensitive that first week... they're GTG now :cool: . The noticeable difference occurred when I doubled up my protective glasses (The Wicked Laser's pair placed over my Eagle Pair).

LSRFAQ

That's the word. Transition. Yes my mom just bought transition contacts for herself. -1.5 I think

I've said it more than once, I've typed it 1000 times. "Transitions" lenses DO NOT darken rapidly enough to become a laser safety device. It is a reversible chemical reaction in the glass or plastic, and it does NOT happen fast.

Steve

USAbro

I'm not talking about them being used as laser safety glasses. Please read through the thread from the beginning.

Good thread

+6 for Steve

I heard of someone getting a reflected eye hit while wearing safety glasses that do not have side shields-- if the laser beam comes from slightly behind and enters the side of the glasses to the eyes this reflection will be almost of the full power as the side hit makes a huge difference AFAIK-- They are made to reduce the incoming beam form the front of the glasses and NOT thru ther back side-- so the OPs idea of adding shields is a very good one.. you can be injured by laser even with your back to it... WHEN wearing glasses-- ironic --yes? that would NOT happen if you were wearing NO glasses.

hak

There is a thread in the LPF tutorial section on Laser Safety Officer (LSO) training and there is a lot there about our eyes and lasers.

3Pig

Makes me wish I got the ugly eagle pair instead, but damn the cool eagle pair glasses look... cool :cool: I barely use my 445 anyway because its too scary. Guess its cardboard and duct tape to the rescue.

I heard of someone getting a reflected eye hit while wearing safety glasses that do not have side shields

I recently tested one of my goggles with my 2.5w 445 and it began to melt within a second. I wouldn't trust these for long term exposure. So I would suggest that if you were hit while wearing the goggles to immediately advert your eyes so you don't suffer permanent damage. You can never be too careful right?

Edit, Do the glass safety goggles fully protect you? I might save up for a pair.

Last edited:
^^^ NOT SURE but there must be a good reason why some cost >$100 and some are less than $20-- and no melting of the glass versions-- I tell new members buy asap what you can afford --save up for better and then use your old ones for guest goggles.

hak

It sounds like eye strain to me, focusing your eyes on that tiny bright spot. If you didn't get the laser in your eyes, then you don't have laser eye damage.

The fluorescence from the glasses is bright enough to 'dazzle' your vision temporary, same as any bright light, but it isn't enough to do any damage.