Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Concept Build need some expert opinions!!!

As asked above, can you clarify what exactly you want your final outcome to be? There was some interesting stuff where many red diode lasers were taken, and with accurately aimed mirrors they were directed to just about overlap - so you had a large beam that was actually made of several small beams side by side. The mirrors are nice because you can get the beams in very close proximity and aim them along one line.

What you're doing sounds a bit like you're trying to mimic those LEDs with several dies. Problem is you need to make sure each of the emitters is pointing exactly the same direction (you can imagine being off by even a fraction of a degree would be a problem). Also, when the emitters are not very close together, you can't just shine them through the same small lens, they must each be collimated on their own (not sure if you were trying to collimate them at once or not, but think of it as the diff between a flashlight with a multi-die LED, vs several single-die LEDs. The multi-die is ideal; having several singles means you need a separate reflector for each, and is really just like having a bunch of flashlights side by side.)

Are you just trying to make a very impressive visible beam, or are you actually trying to mimic a single beam of higher power?

dieselmarine;

The electronics can be done as I did on my Triple PHR build.

The trick is to achieve focus.

Best way is a fiber optic collimator like that used on multi-die Red lasers.

I'd check with the guy in the BST section who was selling lots of hi-power red modules.
Heruurististic ?

LarryDFW

Last edited:

daguin

You cannot achieve what you desire using only lenses the way you are thinking. Each of the beams will be diffracting through the lens at a different direction/angle

Using a fiber-optic combiner will get you all of the power in one beam, but you still would need a beam expander (after the combiner) to make the beam wider so it would "look like" a light saber beam. Otherwise, all you have is a more powerful "regular" beam.

Peace,
dave

D

Deleted member 8382

You cannot achieve what you desire using only lenses the way you are thinking. Each of the beams will be diffracting through the lens at a different direction/angle

Using a fiber-optic combiner will get you all of the power in one beam, but you still would need a beam expander (after the combiner) to make the beam wider so it would "look like" a light saber beam. Otherwise, all you have is a more powerful "regular" beam.

Peace,
dave
What about my idea?

mfo

Damn, I think Vic is trying to take over the world....What's next, the Death Star Project?

J/K this is an awesome idea dude. I hope you get the flaws worked out to make this happen!

jaycey

I remember Rog:bowdown: was working on a lightsaber, before he took up golf:cryyy:

Asherz

I'll just throw this idea out there, would it be possible to collimate separate diodes towards a group of optic fibers further up the base of the tube, and then have the optical fibers create a large collimated set of beams appearing to be one large one?

jayrob

This is just something I was thinking about trying its basically like a lightsaber I am looking to achieve a thick beam maybe with phr's first to see how it goes. So I want to make an aluminum heat sink just like an aixiz module but maybe around 6x the size. Threaded, but it will have 3-4 diodes press directly into the heat sink depending on which is easier to focus 3 or 4 diodes? I already started on the lense I machined the aluminum lense housing and I'm currenty experimenting with different types of glass lenses like: binocular lenses, magnifying lenses, Also I have to figure out what drivers and power supply to use. I would like to know if this is a waste of my time anyone feel free to reply but I am looking for replys from :

Daguin
Jayrob
larryDFW
Lasersbee
Iskor12
Tech_junkie
Kenom

And if anyone feels left out thats too bad stop being a baby, lol just kidden
go right a head!

PEACE,
-SARGE

You could get three modules side by side in a triangle, and if they are all perfectly aligned, it would probably appear to be a thick 'multi beam'...

But you will still have to focus each one individually I would think. :thinking:

And I would think that you would need a separate driver for each diode. But you could power the drivers from the same source...