Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI GLP-589 noob review

It's similar to how a multiline argon works. Though on on ML argons the cavity mirrors are just coated for a wide band and the lines that lase, lase, since it doesn't require another stage to get the final output. With DPSS, the cavity coatings have to be much more wavelength specific, since there are lines that could lase, that aren't wanted that would rob energy from the lines you do want. ND:YAG and ND:YVO4 are both capable of lasing on multiple wavelengths simultaneously.. However, to my knowledge, the non-linear crystals aren't capable of doubling multiple wavelengths at the same time though, at least as far as getting multiple visible wavelength outputs at once. Meaning you'll never see say 473nm and 532nm for example, coming from the same DPSS laser. At least not with current materials.

Last edited:

It might be possible using separate doubling NLO's but eh, I think that would be hard to align, and i'm sure there are probably reasons it's not really feasible or else we'd probably have seen it done.

That sucks, guys. I ordered a GLP 589nm 5mW direct from CNI. I never had any problems with it and it was one of my favorite lasers (>13mW peak).
I sold it and am assuming it is still great since I never got a complaint.

It makes me wonder exactly what it was that failed in your pointers.

Last edited:
Mine sucked from the getgo. At most 2mW when it was at the 'perfect' temperature to even lase at all.. I should have sent it back to CNI for warranty but I would have had to do it through Glenn since it came from him.. which I didn't really want to do considering it took 9 months for me to get the damn thing to begin with.. coupled with the fact he told me he'd measured this exact one to be doing 7mW and 5 average... yeah right. The one I got had never been out of it's box.. Initially I was just going to try to transplant the 'module' and driver out of mine into a larger host with better heatsinking that would take a higher capacity battery, but I ended up ripping the lead off the c-mount on disassembly when one pin of to the driver came unsoldered and the thing twisted.

Last edited:
Mine sucked from the getgo. At most 2mW when it was at the 'perfect' temperature to even lase at all.. I should have sent it back to CNI for warranty but I would have had to do it through Glenn since it came from him.. which I didn't really want to do considering it took 9 months for me to get the damn thing to begin with.. coupled with the fact he told me he'd measured this exact one to be doing 7mW and 5 average... yeah right. The one I got had never been out of it's box.. Initially I was just going to try to transplant the 'module' and driver out of mine into a larger host with better heatsinking that would take a higher capacity battery, but I ended up ripping the lead off the c-mount on disassembly when one pin of to the driver came unsoldered and the thing twisted.

Yeah, that happens a lot with people who are unfamiliar with CNI's modules.
CNI can do RMAs directly. You don't have to go through Glenn. Just provide the serial #. I've done it before.

When dealing with CNI, I've learned that it is best to be patient. I've received a dud before but if you are polite and patient they will come through.
My story, in a nutshell, I waited many months for an 80mW 473nm PGL-M. When it arrived it worked for a second or two before it would only output a few tens of milliWatts. I contacted CNI and got an RMA asap. I decided to exchange it for an 80mW PGL-III-C instead. I ended up with a monster 473nm that peaked at more than 175mW. I still can't believe I sold it. I've never heard of a portable 473nm that could top it since.

CNI does and can produce some incredible stuff. I think that part of the reason we (not me, I haven't really been super active lately) have been seeing some poor QC lately is because CNI is a manufacturer and they prefer to sell to distributors. GBs and individual orders are probably a bit of an inconvenience for them.

Last edited:
My issues weren't with CNI as much as Glenn. In that GB, I was one of the first people to pay, yet one of the last to actually get my laser. The only other to take longer was aryntha to get his 400mW 532.. which took over a year.. And it didn't work for long either. Other people got theirs months ahead of me getting mine. So apparently other people had 'priority' over me for some reason. I was also told he measured the one he was sending me at 7mw peak and 5 average.. yet the laser I got had obviously never even been out of the box.. much less measured.

So like I said, this was the laser that ended my business dealings with Glenn. Yes i'm aware he was having problems elsewhere at the time during that GB, but that's still no reason to lie or give preferential treatment to people.

Last edited:

DJZ

Thought I'd share that I've finally metered the cni at SELEM. Coherent lasercheck showed 12.7mW. I say 'showed' because later in the day it fell out of my shirt pocket and took about a 2' drop. I picked it up and had no output at all. Just out of desperation I replaced the battery and still had no output. So I pressed and held the button for about 30 seconds and suddenly had a weak flickering beam. I put it back in my pocket and tested it again about an hour later. Surprisingly, I had a solid beam again. Re-metering now shows 18mW! What luck! I'll be picking up a lottery ticket before I get back to the hotel!

Last edited:
Thought I'd share that I've finally metered the cni at SELEM. Coherent lasercheck showed 12.7mW. I say 'showed' because later in the day it fell out of my shirt pocket and took about a 2' drop. I picked it up and had no output at all. Just out of desperation I replaced the battery and still had no output. So I pressed and held the button for about 30 seconds and suddenly had a weak flickering beam. I put it back in my pocket and tested it again about an hour later. Surprisingly, I had a solid beam again. Re-metering now shows 18mW! What luck! I'll be picking up a lottery ticket before I get back to the hotel!

:drool: 18mW!!!

You are very lucky:beer: