Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI developments?

ixfd64

I've heard reports that CNI will stop shipping portable lasers greater than 5 mW as of 2015. However, I couldn't find any secondary sources on this; the CNI website doesn't mention anything about this change, and the only other source comes from an LPF member who says he has been in contact with CNI and government representatives. There also doesn't seem to be many recent posts on this issue.

I do know another LPF member says his order from CNI was canceled, but yet another LPF member reported that CNI would still ship them to the U.S. as long as the lasers are broken into parts.

Does anyone have any further information? Is CNI really discontinuing its high-powered portable lasers, or are we just hearing rumors?

Last edited:

If you are really curious, I might suggest contacting CNI directly. That way you get the information firsthand, and not through someone else.

If you find out I would be curious to see what they say and if there is any way around it.

I can only tell you that I have not heard.

Please check you PM box as I have sent you a message about good forum etiquette. You have made a bunch of reply's in just a few min that aren't making much sense.
Thx

While on the subject of CNI lasers, has anyone ever taken one of their small lab lasers and converted it for mobile use with a battery? I've wondered if there is a lab unit which lends itself to modification or conversion into a bulky pointer.

While on the subject of CNI lasers, has anyone ever taken one of their small lab lasers and converted it for mobile use with a battery? I've wondered if there is a lab unit which lends itself to modification or conversion into a bulky pointer.

Someone did (successfully, IIRC) with a B&W tek 473, which are CNI heads. There's a thread on it somewhere.
edit: link
I have wanted to attempt that for quite some time, but those 473's aren't popping up near as frequently as they once were.

Last edited:

ixfd64

I've heard conflicting information regarding this. Some say it'd be fairly easy for an experienced hobbyist to convert a lab laser to a portable one, but I've also heard others say it's very hard due to the difficulty of realigning the optical components. I guess it all depends on the type of laser.

This gave me an idea: if worst comes to worst and most companies stop shipping shipping high-powered lasers, then maybe some of us could start a "conversion" business. From what I understand, legal restrictions generally apply to shipping lasers, not building them.

Davidx

I got a letter last week from CNI.
I was asked where I live, I told them US
I was politely informed that they would no longer be selling over 5mw lasers to the U.S. :(

They are listed on the FDA Import Alert: Import Alert 95-04

As for the lab laser for mobile use why modify it? Just find a light enough 12V and use a power inverter and stuff them in a backpack and plug it in.

Alan

joeyss

They are listed on the FDA Import Alert: Import Alert 95-04

As for the lab laser for mobile use why modify it? Just find a light enough 12V and use a power inverter and stuff them in a backpack and plug it in.

Alan

you can buy a 12 or 6 volt SLA battery cheap

like 13 for a 8ah 12 volt.

Bulky but they work.

Great for charging phones ( i have a click one cig lighter adapter for the terminals) and the 6volt rechargable lantern battery springs are great for testing lasers that use 6-9 volts as the driver as they can be made to hold wires in. They also make LED and incan floating lanterns much brighter as the end voltage stays near 6 since there's 3 cells instead of 4 like in the regular lantern battery. The lantern batteries also are 5ah.

Last edited: