Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[CLOSED] - Local Laser Selling?

Hey everyone! :wave:

So, I've been showing off my new 300mW 532nm laser quite a bit. I live in a small town, with literally nothing to do aside from go to the ocean. Which gets old after so many years. So, this laser is like 'the coolest toy ever' to everyone who sees it. I've been the talk of the town lately, and everyone is wanting to see it. But, with so many people liking it, comes so many people wanting to purchase a laser of their own...

So, I ordered some 532nm Ebay Pens a week or so ago (before the town's laser hype), and with them being 1 - 3 days away, I'm wondering if perhaps I should try to sell them to some of the locals. I'm 100% sure I can sell them all for profit, but that's not my concern. I know I can make them agree / sign to something that states I'm not responsible for anything stupid they do. That's not my concern either.

My problem, is that I have a conscious. I couldn't sleep well at night knowing I sold some teenager 2 lasers and him and his friend went to school and blinded everyone. And I can't force anyone to purchase, or wear safety glasses with them. To be honest, I doubt they would anyways, as the beam and dot would be so much more impressive without them, and invisible with them.

So, I just kind of want some feedback from you guys. Do you think selling them to locals is a good idea? It could fund my laser habit, and potentially get me some more high-quality lasers for myself with the money earned.

1. Should I sell it to them, but write and print out a full guide in the form of a booklet that I include with it?

2. Should I require them to read the booklet and complete a test at the end of it before I'll sell them one?

3. Should I only sell it to people willing to purchase safety glasses (I can stock those too, if you guys think that's my best choice)?

4. Should I just trust them to use them responsibly, and ensure I only sell it to people 18+, or with parent's permission, yet stress all of the dangers as best I can?

5. Other? (Your suggestion)

I'm really stuck, as I've got lots of different choices here. I just don't want to be responsible for the creation of Oregon's first "all-blind town".

So, go ahead and respond with a number, your thoughts, whatever you've got to say about it. Everyone's opinions will be accepted and appreciated, as always. :beer:

Added question: After I've received opinions, if I do end up selling lasers here in town, what colors do you think I should stock? Obviously greens are the most impressive at first glance, but some people may want the burning power of blues. And I highly doubt anyone will want a red, because reds are just the color of the standard "$1 laser pen" from every store around. So it's not nearly as exotic and impressive.

FINAL VERDICT

Basically my opinion on this hasn't changed any. Everyone basically confirmed the feeling of it being a bad idea. I'm going to get them metered, play around with them, and most likely sell them on LPF. I'll price them by output power, and can include a 4 pack of AAA batteries for them for an extra $2 or whatever I decide at the time. The 5 lasers I ordered to test quality are expected to deliver today, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the replies! :beer: :thanks:

Last edited:

Re: Local Laser Selling - Thoughts?

I doubt it's a good idea.

Spreading lasers around general public isn't particulary healthy for the hobby's reputation. If you want to make a quick buck, you can sell them to close friends, or people you generally know aren't your Average Joe.

You can also try re-selling them around the forums here. Offer some power guarantee and "Yep, it's 100% sure it works, I tested it" guarantee to eliminate the gambling effect you get by buying from eBay, and add some value to it that you can make money off.

We have tons of top-grade lasers on sale here but we usually divert all newcomers to eBay and DX and other crap sites for beginner level lasers.

All in all, selling them locally by bulk? I'm against. Sorry. :/

I strongly advise against selling higher powered lasers to people(100mW>).

Not only will it get you into some serious trouble with the law(since Class 3B/4 *pointers* are illegal), but if someone gets hurt you would have to accept responsibility(only way around it is make them sign a sheet of paper telling them they accept all responsibility for the safe use of this device).

Maybe an idea to fund your hobby would be selling them on LPF? You never know who might be looking for a pack of 3 eBay pens!

PS: I do like the idea of a test, that shows how importantly you take laser safety :)

Last edited:

Yeah, basically what you guys are saying is the same thoughts I'm having. I just don't want to be giving lasers to idiots.

And @ Greenlander - The Ebay pens are very highly unlikely to be over 100mW. I ordered them as 5mW, so they're sure to be anywhere from 10mW - 80mW most likely. 80mW being a total score, for the price. So I wouldn't necessarily call them "high powered lasers", but they aren't pointers so they will be dangerous if shone in the eye.

Although as Eud said, perhaps I should keep it strict to people I know and trust who are interested, and ensure I inform them of everything I possible can. And maybe just meter a bunch and sell them here on the site. Seems a lot safer than selling them to people I don't know as well.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. :beer:

Note: People are still welcome to post their opinions on it, whether you agree or disagree with anything said so far.

Edit: From what I found, you don't need any form of license or permit to sell lasers, as long as the lasers are legal. Meaning they're within the legal power, are labeled, things like that.

Last edited:

Yeah, basically what you guys are saying is the same thoughts I'm having. I just don't want to be giving lasers to idiots.

And @ Greenlander - The Ebay pens are very highly unlikely to be over 100mW. I ordered them as 5mW, so they're sure to be anywhere from 10mW - 80mW most likely. 80mW being a total score, for the price. So I wouldn't necessarily call them "high powered lasers", but they aren't pointers so they will be dangerous if shone in the eye.

Although as Eud said, perhaps I should keep it strict to people I know and trust who are interested, and ensure I inform them of everything I possible can. And maybe just meter a bunch and sell them here on the site. Seems a lot safer than selling them to people I don't know as well.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. :beer:

Note: People are still welcome to post their opinions on it, whether you agree or disagree with anything said so far.

Nononon, I know the eBay pens won't be 100mW. You were talking about selling blue lasers also, those will be in the Watt range :)

Last edited:

Nononon, I know the eBay pens won't be 100mW. You were talking about selling blue lasers also, those will be in the Watt range :)

Ahh, got'cha. I added an edit as to what I found about license / permits.

And in the OP - "I know I can make them agree / sign to something that states I'm not responsible for anything stupid they do.", because if I did start selling them, I want to have it documented that they agreed to take responsibility for it, in case there is anything that comes my way. :beer:

Number 4 and try to stay down to 5mw, otherwise its probably not a good idea.

Alan

Number 4 and try to stay down to 5mw, otherwise its probably not a good idea.

Alan

Well if I were staying at 5mW, it wouldn't a problem. Then I could sell them without fear, as they're not nearly as dangerous. It's the fact they they could be anywhere from 5mW to 80mW. :/

But you did give me an idea. Maybe, I should get all lasers metered. Sell the 5mW - XXmW to locals, and anything higher to LPF members.

Anyone know what a good "XX" number is, there? 5mW - ??, for locals. Or should I keep it strictly ones that are 5mW or less? (Highly unlikely I'll get any that low, though)

It's a nice idea but not one that I'd be willing to carry out. Also being the talk of the town for owning a powerful laser is not something I'd be even remotely comfortable with. All It takes is for one over protective mother to see the increasing news stories about lasers and you'll be done for. I shined my 445 into the night sky for all of a few seconds at my back door and that was more than enough. I wished I could keep doing it as the beam of pure blue just appeared to touch the stars, but I didn't particularly want to see blue flashing lights at my door either.

It's a nice idea but not one that I'd be willing to carry out. Also being the talk of the town for owning a powerful laser is not something I'd be even remotely comfortable with. All It takes is for one over protective mother to see the increasing news stories about lasers and you'll be done for. I shined my 445 into the night sky for all of a few seconds at my back door and that was more than enough. I wished I could keep doing it as the beam of pure blue just appeared to touch the stars, but I didn't particularly want to see blue flashing lights at my door either.

My laser is totally legal in the U.S. Protective mothers can get as mad they want. x)

Edit: The laser laws in my state specifically, are not to shine it at aircraft. That's it.

Although, note, that is laser-specific laws. Things such as shining it in to traffic isn't specifically a "laser law", that disrupting traffic or even causing an accident. I'm just referring to that being the only laser-specific law.

Last edited:

Well if I were staying at 5mW, it wouldn't a problem. Then I could sell them without fear, as they're not nearly as dangerous. It's the fact they they could be anywhere from 5mW to 80mW. :/

But you did give me an idea. Maybe, I should get all lasers metered. Sell the 5mW - XXmW to locals, and anything higher to LPF members.

Anyone know what a good "XX" number is, there? 5mW - ??, for locals. Or should I keep it strictly ones that are 5mW or less? (Highly unlikely I'll get any that low, though)

Probably 20mw for locals but that's just my opinion.

My laser is totally legal in the U.S. Protective mothers can get as mad they want. x)

Edit: The laser laws in my state specifically, are not to shine it at aircraft. That's it.

Although, note, that is laser-specific laws. Things such as shining it in to traffic isn't specifically a "laser law", that disrupting traffic or even causing an accident. I'm just referring to that being the only laser-specific law.

Not shinning it at aircraft is a federal not a state law, you also can't use it at all within 10 miles of any airport and you can't even shine it in the flight path of an aircraft.

Alan

Probably 20mw for locals but that's just my opinion.

Not shinning it at aircraft is a federal not a state law, you also can't use it at all within 10 miles of any airport and you can't even shine it in the flight path of an aircraft.

Alan

Yeah, it's because my state has no laser specific laws, that I was referring to it as the only law in my state.

And thanks, 5mW - 20mW for locals, anything higher for LPF members, sounds pretty good to me. Then I at least won't sound like a greedy prick not selling anyone even 1 of my pointers. I'll probably do #4, and require the 18+ or parent/guardian to sign for the laser, and stress all of the dangers to them. So if anything comes back to bite me I have it documented.

As always, anyone is still welcome to jump in with opinions, as everyone's opinions are taken in to consideration. Even new members. :beer:

Last edited:

Tmack

If your not making any money, then just give them the site, or eBay seller. If your making money, buy a bunch to get a wholesale price and print up wavers. Ether way, no matter what anyone signs, when something happens , they will still come to you. And yes you have a document to protect yourself. But just think, if all that does happen, was it worth it, to sell a few pointers, and now you have to prove your innocence with documentation?
Sounds like too much trouble just to sell a few people some $10 pointers, if even that much. I mean, tell them $20 at best,,,,,,,still not worth the trouble it may bring when they shine it at a car that cut them off. ( unless you sold a couple hundred at $20) lol then it may be worth documenting purchases. Just my view of it all. Take it for what it is.

Good luck whatever you choose. :)

If your not making any money, then just give them the site, or eBay seller. If your making money, buy a bunch to get a wholesale price and print up wavers. Ether way, no matter what anyone signs, when something happens , they will still come to you. And yes you have a document to protect yourself. But just think, if all that does happen, was it worth it, to sell a few pointers, and now you have to prove your innocence with documentation?
Sounds like too much trouble just to sell a few people some $10 pointers, if even that much. I mean, tell them $20 at best,,,,,,,still not worth the trouble it may bring when they shine it at a car that cut them off. ( unless you sold a couple hundred at $20) lol then it may be worth documenting purchases. Just my view of it all. Take it for what it is.

Good luck whatever you choose. :)

First highlight - They'll come for me some day, for something, no matter what. Besides, that's assuming the person who did it doesn't take responsibility, and tells the officers 'It's not my fault I tried to blind traffic, my friend sold it to me.', which just doesn't make any sense. I doubt it would take more than showing an officer a signed piece of paper for me to get on with my day.

Second highlight - Hell, if I buy a bunch of lasers for $2 - $5, and they test 5mW to 20mW, and I sell them for $10 - $20, that's still $5 - $15 profit per laser. I could sell 5, and have made a fair amount for doing nothing really. And that's just 5, in a town of 3200 bored people. I'm sure it would end up more than that. And I will of course be explaining all of the dangers, and all of the ways they could get in trouble with the laser, as well as answer as many hundreds of questions they may have.

This will by no means be a "mass distribution". It will be by word of mouth that I'm found, or if someone sees me messing with one at night and asks me about it. It won't be an "over the counter" type of deal, it'll be like "a friend selling you a video game". I'll sell them to 1 person at a time, and educate them as to them about everything I can, every now and then.

Thanks for the response. Every opinion helps shape my final decision. :beer: :thanks:

Tmack

I think you have your mind made up. No one seems to think this is a Good idea, but you seem to have an answer for each concern.

Edimoniuim - I doubt it's a good idea

Greenlander - I strongly advise against

Pirsquared- probably not a good idea

Trenchee- not something I'd carry out.

Me- not worth it.

YOU- yea but,,,,

Which Is perfectly fine. :beer:

Last edited:

I think you have your mind made up. No one seems to think this is a Good idea, but you seem to have an answer for each concern.

Edimoniuim - I doubt it's a good idea

Greenlander - I strongly advise against

Pirsquared- probably not a good idea

Trenchee- not something I'd carry out.

Me- not worth it.

YOU- yea but,,,,

Which Is perfectly fine. :beer:

If someone were to come up with a positive response of how they think I should do it, and gave the reasons, I'd be equally "yea but" to them too. In order to find the true solution to something, you have to attempt to shoot down all of the reasons given for an answer. ;)

In all honesty, I'm leaning more toward not selling them at all, and keeping them myself. I'd much rather be the 'laser guy', than 'the guy responsible for blindness in Oregon'.

But to the above 'yea but' to everyone, if someone were to say "You should sell them. It's totally safe and nobody will get hurt." --

Yeah, but, there are no guarantees. There could be hundreds of 'less known' laws that I could be breaking. And there's ALWAYS a chance someone will get hurt. It's a lot easier to be responsible for myself, than to feel responsible for everyone else.

-------

So it's just a matter of not having anyone say anything positive for me to try and combat. :beer:

Edit: I'll let this sit up 'til tonight, and if nobody has any good arguments as to why this is a good or bad idea, I'll post my final decision on it. Before I posted this I was leaning more toward not selling them. Now that we're a few posts deep, I still don't think I want to sell them. I may seem defensive, but I'm actually on the same side. :beer:

Last edited: