Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Cleveland, Ohio NDG7475

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63385
  • Start date Start date

Hi,
The 03 diode has a factory ball lens and can only be focused by removing the ball lens. As where the NDG7475 diode has a can and can be focused, The 03 without the ball lens removed become an open can where the emitters ar exposed and you will need to be really careful not to get anything on them.
Rich:)
in other words. open can and ball lens diodes are not really what you want.
its common (for men) to go as big as possible.. not really smart.

JADs and JAD&D are good ways to start AFTER you learn about the very common mistakes that can happen--there are dozens of ways to kill diodes--some can be avoided by Just Add Diode or Diode and Driver 'kits'they come soldered and no way really to harm by static-- and the driver current is set on JADD, which can be tricky- do you know what a dummy load is? Shorting all CAPS? and ground your hands and work space? actually the best way to start is lowest cost builds and most easy.
Should a kid get a MO-Ped or a Crotch rocket ninja?

When I was pointed to Sam's laser I found a ton of info from a lifetime of teaching that Sam did while at Penn State-- no ads- no bull- just ALL the facts. Lots of other experts wrote a lot of what you see at Sams.
ALL should read/study with Sam before trying anything new.

He answers only Qs that you cannot find at Sam's by google search(very very rare btw).
Think 'self help' -- shortcuts can be tricky.. & learning the hard way can be very spendy.
Building a laser is not much like building a flashlight..

some new guys have awful ideas and misconceptions- like a quicky testing of a diode using a 9v batt OMG!

Instant and silent death.. AND when fails are our fault-- trying to return for refund or a new diode will not make you many friends..the fault is almost NEVER a bad diode. Its user error-- THUS starting with lower cost parts is smart. less wallet pain when they fail--

You must read/study a LOT! there are toots here on everything. I have a good one there on laser safety and LSOs. ( in 'tutorial' section)

SEARCH 'Photonic Spectra'-- the 26 yr old laser etc photonics trade mag-- I like getting it by mail but some like the on-line mag ..(95% is over our heads--but interesting). The hobby laser folks make up ~1% -- so you wont find much on 'us'-- but that is the correct way it is.

The MOST IMPORTANT-- do no harm.. Protect you eyes at ALL times. Do NOTHING that makes us look like idiots. lastly--- study laserpointersafety. com.
WE never like to see a LPF member there getting busted. like lasing aircraft-(we normally ban them)- a good way to end up in Fed Prison where there is never any 'early-out' for good behaviour. Laser eams at night in 'town' will get you busted

& yr intentons will mean very little. Its either out in the 'country' or indoors at night.
Courts are making 'examples' of anyone getting into trouble .

REMEMBER guns have laser sights-- so if a laser is seen- it will be reported as a gun laser-COPS have them- and will assume the worst. In New Zealand its a law- nothing over 1mW IS LEGAL-- IN AU ITS 5mW.-- laser idiots will make that happen here. right now -- lasers at protests are doing US great harm--When the public reads about these --they always think the worst--
cops getting totally blinded--all lies -but no matter.

rant over

hak

Last edited:

JADs and JAD&D are good ways to start AFTER you learn about the very common mistakes that can happen--there are dozens of ways to kill diodes--some can be avoided by Just Add Diode or Diode and Driver 'kits'they come soldered and no way really to harm by static-- and the driver current is set on JADD, which can be tricky- do you know what a dummy load is? Shorting all CAPS? and ground your hands and work space? actually the best way to start is lowest cost builds and most easy.

When I was pointed to Sam's laser I found a ton of info from a lifetime of teaching that Sam did while at Penn State-- no ads- no bull- just ALL the facts. Lots of other experts wrote a lot of what you see at Sams.

He answers only Qs that you cannot find at Sam's by google search(very very rare btw).
Think 'self help' -- shortcuts can be tricky.. & learning the hard way can be very spendy.

some new guys have awful ideas and misconceptions- like a quicky testing of a diode using a 9v batt OMG!

Instant and silent death.. AND when fails are our fault-- trying to return for refund or a new diode will not make you many friends..the fault is almost NEVER a bad diode. Its user error-- THUS starting with lower cost parts is smart. less wallet pain when they fail--

You must read/study a LOT! there are toots here on everything. I have a good one there on laser safety and LSOs. ( in 'tutorial' section)

SEARCH 'Photonic Spectra'-- the 26 yr old laser etc photonics trade mag-- I like getting it by mail but some like the on-line mag ..(95% is over our heads--but interesting). The hobby laser folks make up ~1% -- so you wont find much on 'us'-- but that is the correct way it is.

The MOST IMPORTANT-- do no harm.. Protect you eyes at ALL times. Do NOTHING that makes us look like idiots. lastly--- study laserpointersafety. com.
WE never like to see a LPF member there getting busted. like lasing aircraft-(we normally ban them)- a good way to end up in Fed Prison where there is never any 'early-out' for good behaviour. Laser eams at night in 'town' will get you busted

& yr intentons will mean very little. Its either out in the 'country' or indoors at night.

REMEMBER guns have laser sights-- so if a laser is seen- it will be reported as a gun laser-COPS have them- and will assume the worst. In New Zealand its a law- nothing over 1mW IS LEGAL-- IN AU ITS 5mW.-- laser idiots will make that happen here. right now -- lasers at protests are doing US great harm--When the public reads about these --they always think the worst--

rant over

hak
Spot on, better to start off small and be cautious. It is for that very reason that I am particularly fond of green lasers; brighter than blue with only a fraction of the actual power

rant over

hak

@hakzaw1

Sorry it took so long to reply, there is a lot of valuable information that i truly appreciate! I have been doing a lot of reading on Sam's and laserpointersafety, taking my time to digest all the new information. What is JADs, JAD&D and JADD? I tried to research as much as I could before asking! I do understand basic electronics, shorting the capacitors to dissipate loads and eliminating static charges on work areas tools and my person. Also I have no interest in drawing any attention to myself or the laser community. I am hear because i think laser beams are cool and i enjoy learning, building, and tinkering! All your information is helpful, thank you for taking the time to type all this out. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Please keep them coming. -- michael

JADs and JAD&D are good ways to start AFTER you learn about the very common mistakes that can happen--there are dozens of ways to kill diodes--some can be avoided by "Just Add Diode" or Diode and Driver 'kits'they come soldered and no way really to harm by static-- and the driver current is set on JADD, which can be

JADs and JAD&D are good ways to start AFTER you learn about the very common mistakes that can happen--there are dozens of ways to kill diodes--some can be avoided by "Just Add Diode" or Diode and Driver 'kits'they come soldered and no way really to harm by static-- and the driver current is set on JADD, which can be

Ahh, I don't know why i didn't see that before. Thank you. Well you guys sold me on not using expensive/ more dangerous diodes to start off. I am also going to continue to do lots of research first, but i definitely want to start on a pcb board and make something big so i can physically see everything that is going on before getting into the tighter pre made JADs. My end goal is to build many projects probably mostly HH, but to start i was thinking more along the lines of a bench top.

Hi,
Just checkout my sig pics, these are empty hosts prewired . These are JAD/JADD hosts, they come complete with a prewired heat sink and focus adapter for your lens. And you just add your batteries Done.Click on the pics to see tremor the + sign . Its easier than you think...
Rich:)

@hakzaw1

Sorry it took so long to reply, there is a lot of valuable information that i truly appreciate! I have been doing a lot of reading on Sam's and laserpointersafety, taking my time to digest all the new information. What is JADs, JAD&D and JADD? I tried to research as much as I could before asking! I do understand basic electronics, shorting the capacitors to dissipate loads and eliminating static charges on work areas tools and my person. Also I have no interest in drawing any attention to myself or the laser community. I am hear because i think laser beams are cool and i enjoy learning, building, and tinkering! All your information is helpful, thank you for taking the time to type all this out. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Please keep them coming. -- michael
I really like your attitude.. I dont really want to be TMI! (too much info) or leaving out stuff that is quite important. So I tend to give MYB more than asked.
I never actually know exavctly what is wanted nor NOT. But always wanting to help.
Had I not asked a bunch of Qs here and read a lot ... I would not be able to help all that much. SO,, I still look for new info to read. & go to LPS.com often... We currently have two (MYB more) members working on RGB Handheld. (& MYB 'tunable-.. Lots of great pics- posting new answers. I hope they both have success and they should know that many here appreciate the sharing--

Several vets have added important info- and do this in a friendly manner.
Never condesending-- but sometimes it is hard to be kind when searching (OP) has not been done or ideas are so far out there... then they are treated fairly but we still wonder why/how they come up I with the craziest ideas..

(1) Theater spot light color Gels for cheap eye protection (2)and putting 'color filters' in front of a 'white' laser to make other color lasers--yikes-- lolol

good luck to all & stay safe
hak

I really like your attitude.. I dont really want to be TMI! (too much info) or leaving out stuff that is quite important. So I tend to give MYB more than asked.
I never actually know exavctly what is wanted nor NOT. But always wanting to help.
Had I not asked a bunch of Qs here and read a lot ... I would not be able to help all that much. SO,, I still look for new info to read. & go to LPS.com often... We currently have two (MYB more) members working on RGB Handheld. (& MYB 'tunable-.. Lots of great pics- posting new answers. I hope they both have success and they should know that many here appreciate the sharing--

Several vets have added important info- and do this in a friendly manner.
Never condesending-- but sometimes it is hard to be kind when searching (OP) has not been done or ideas are so far out there... then they are treated fairly but we still wonder why/how they come up I with the craziest ideas..

(1) Theater spot light color Gels for cheap eye protection (2)and putting 'color filters' in front of a 'white' laser to make other color lasers--yikes-- lolol

good luck to all & stay safe
hak

WOW, first off Hak those are crazy ideas! ... even to me a new comer. I appreciate the TMI. I would rather be well informed than struggling to put together a picture in my head with half the information. The MYB tune-able sounds awesome! Please tag me in anything like that! ... Per usual thanks -Michael

edit—

All...
I decided to take many of your suggestions and start with a JAD and a lesser powerful diode than the NUBM44-V2. Your time, knowledge, and advice is appreciated. I chose to go with a strong but "lesser powerful" NDG7475. I understand there is still much power and danger with this choice. With the help of the members here i decided to purchase from DTR, a 20mm copper heat sink with module shelf, a Super X-Driver set to 2.2 amps, and a G-8 lens. As far as the host i went with one of Lifetime17's maglights milled out to 20mm, with two 26650's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have an idea how I almost instantly shattered my G8? I used it for a collective time of maybe 5 mins. I’m not mad. Also I’m sure it was my fault and not anyone else’s, I just can’t figure out how I did that within hours of assembly.

Anyone have an idea how I almost instantly shattered my G8? I used it for a collective time of maybe 5 mins. I’m not mad. Also I’m sure it was my fault and not anyone else’s, I just can’t figure out how I did that within hours of assembly.
You sure it was made of normal glass and not acrylic glass?

Pretty sure I just over tightened the adjustment lens down to too much! No biggie, more on the way..

Anyone have any tests or demonstrations they would like to see when I get my stuff all set up? I have a decent amount of free time these days! And should I post the results in this thread or start a new one? I’ll have;
2E, 3E, G8, G2, G3, 3x Beam Expander
to play with so let me know what you’d like to see!

Back