Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Class 4's galore.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is worrying, we don't have many battery advancements. Then again, I am focusing more on Lab (mains powered) laser now and leaving handhelds for the rare and expensive wavelengths that are too expensive in lab form.

Yes, it does due to class 3a and b,
I think FDA should include a class 4b category, as although a 1W is powerful enough to burn skin it isn't instant, but anything over 2-2.5W I have noticed that it is a severe burn risk as my poor thumb found out.

Class IV a - Severe Eye hazard and possible burns to skin and flammable objects.
Class IV b - Severe Eye hazard and severe burn risk. Avoid exposure to beam.

A little more refining to the descriptions needed but you get the general gist.

Sounds pretty good to me. I'll bet they will end up doing something like this soon :D
Class IV 500mw-5000mw
Class V 5000mw-10,000mw
Class VI 10,000mw + (we all know it's coming) : )

Lmao! Very true I think it's only a matter of time. I'd rep you guys but I've repped too much lol.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is likely, especially when anyone can get hold of 1W+ nowadays for cheap, compared to when we first started out getting class 4's.

Pman

I was just thinking how many is a "galore" anyways?

Pman

I haven't taken any updated pics of all my stuff in awhile but I did finish building another 6 class 4 last week. Haven't felt like taking pics of the finished products yet and no beam shots. Do have some build pics but today I feel really cruddy and exhausted so I doubt I'll be posting any of them. I'll most likely show them all at once. I would like to finish the last one first too that I will be getting a driver for within the next 2-3 days but that one will be about 275mW. Awaiting an invoice from Jordan so I can pay and get the driver shipped. I will say that there are (2) double 18650 all heavy brass 462nm builds that I put off building for a long time. I was trying to decide what diodes to use as they required 9mm but brass isn't the greatest heat sink. Had forgotten about those 9mm 462nm. I usually buy the slightly stronger M462 but those are 5.6mm.

Last edited:

GSS

I was just thinking how many is a "galore" anyways?
Well when I googled "galore"
Its "More than one needs or wants"
Its originally a Gaelic word for "sufficiently enough"
Pman I don't think you'll ever have your fill of Galore:crackup:

Pman

I don't know, I think I might be "galorer" :)
What's really silly is I won't officially be rated class 4 until I reach 5000 posts lol
I don't know who came up with post count having anything to do with what class of laser you should be catagorized as.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I think that puts me down to 0.1 of a galore now :D only 1200 posts pman.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I'm a class 2 laser with a 7 Watt... Is this illegal? What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to wait until I was a class 4?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Lol, the class system reflects the amount of posts you have done. :D
I'm class 1m, I can't even own a cat toy laser. :crackup: