Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Clarification / Heads-up: RE "MOD9" 9mm Modules

Johnyz

Looks like this little problem is solved. Once again, are you planning a MOD3.8? (Or maybe *cough* *cough* MODC?)

I would love to be able to run red lights. Unfortunately, that's not how the law is written ;)

You're allowed to say things like "Compatible with Ford F150 Engines" or "Works with Toshiba Satellite Laptops" or "Fits Samsung Galaxy S Smartphone".
- That type of Trademark usage is allowed, no written permission required (as far as I'm aware) - whether you're happy about that Jerry, or not ;)

I understood you had stated something like "similar to Aixiz" or
"size compatible to Aixiz" or "better than Aixiz"...
I may be wrong..:yabbem:

BTW.. it has absolutely nothing to do with me being happy or not...
Your problem doesn't effect myself or my business at all...:D

I'm just stating my opinion on the subject at hand...and how
someone could interpret what you wrote. I'm quite sure that it
was not your intend to do harm...;)

Jerry

Last edited:
More than likely, in his original auction listing, he had called them 'aixiz modules', probably accidentally, and this is what aixiz took offense at.

rhd

More than likely, in his original auction listing, he had called them 'aixiz modules', probably accidentally, and this is what aixiz took offense at.

More than likely ? ;)

Come on, give me a bit more credit.

No, I didn't call them Aixiz modules. That's a mistake I wouldn't have made.

What I did do, was call them Aixiz "clones". In reality, this is probably A-OK. There's no risk of confusion, which is what the whole trademark / passing-off issue here would have been about. If you're calling something a clone, it's fairly implicit in that description that it's not the "real thing"

Never the less, it actually wasn't a good description anyway, because these MOD9s aren't clones, they're not meant to be. Really what I needed to convey (and am conveying now more elegantly) is that they are "size-compatible" with Aixiz. That's it.

FYI, I know I've said this before - but I'd be really happy if Aixiz took over making the MOD9s (or 9mm Aixiz modules, whatever they wanted to call them). I know that Aixiz could do it cheaper than me, and that would be beneficial to everyone.

jib77

But then they wouldn't be AL! :p

AL modules(all sizes) is a real hole in the market right now ... the only thing available is brass or expensive custom CU.

Johnyz

Glad this got sorted out. And what about MOD3.8 or MODC, are you planning to try designing these?

rhd

Glad this got sorted out. And what about MOD3.8 or MODC, are you planning to try designing these?

MODC is already designed, and pending a quote. I won't do a huge run of MODCs because of lower demand. Though I may as before get a few more than I actually need made, and then distribute the extras for sale here. They'll probably be a bit more expensive than the MOD9s because of the lower quantity. But they are designed, and basically just awaiting a quote.

The MOD38s are also designed, but I'm not going to push go on them until I see some sort of a press release about 515s actually hitting a consumer product like a pico, where we know they'll be likely to use the smaller 3.8mm CAN size. Since the lead time is only about 1 month, I think the press-release-to-in-hand buffer will be more than adequate in terms of making sure we're all set here for our new greens.

That said, we don't *really* know that the greens will be 3.8, though it's likely that anything destined for a Pico will be. Barring the greens however, there's not a ton of demand for 3.8s.

So, next up is a MODC. Because of sizes, it won't be totally flush. IE, your host will need to allow for the "butt" of the module to hang back a few mm inside the host. (or REALLY simplified, you can't fit a square mount, inside a circular hole!)

Johnyz

Just by looking at what E-Bay offers for c-mount laser diode, things get very interesting! I'd be surely in for one when you get them made.

EDIT: E-Bay 3000mW 808nm c-mount with FAC That's a right pretty diode there... I hope the DL IR goggles are good enough for 3W lol
EDIT2: This diode has a forward voltage of 2.2V, a Li-ion is 3.7V and a LM1084 has 1.5V dropout. Perfect match! Now just need to find a perfect host that would fit the MODC...

Last edited: