Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Check Out My 286mW Tiny Titanium Key Chain Red! (Blu-ray Too!)

jayrob

Re: Check Out My 286mW Tiny Titanium Key Chain Red!

Just finished it!

I had enough room inside the head for the extra battery length of the 2 X CR1 lithium batteries!

But I did end up damaging one of my titanium coated drill bits. Because I let it get too hot when drilling out the head on my blu-ray build... (it was worth it though) And at least my reamer did not get damaged...

Details:

There are a couple of things that made this blu-ray mod interesting using the CR1 lithium batteries in this host...

* It needed to be a case positive build.
* I had to find a way to make room inside the head.
* I also had to fabricate a way for the twist switching to work without the stock board. (which had to be removed in order for the batteries to fit)

These pictures show all of the details...

TTblu 2.jpg

TTblu 3.jpg

TTblu 4.jpg

TTblu 5.jpg

TTblu 6.jpg

TTblu 7.jpg

TTblu 1.jpg

* 2 X CR1 lithium batteries.
* PHR diode.
* Direct connect.
* AixiZ acrylic lens. (back opened)
* 75mW's

Very happy with this matching little jewel! :cool:

Last edited:

Re: Check Out My 286mW Tiny Titanium Key Chain Red!

Sweet!!!! I think it deserves a 405-G-1 Lens! And deserves more pics at some point... ok don't Really Need more pics but I love 'em. :san:
Interesting & tiny twist switch contact.

oh yea btw where did you purchase your batteries?

Last edited:

jayrob

I may throw a 405-G-1 glass lens in there...

But 26% of 75mW's will only give me about 95mW's. So I don't know if it is really worth it for 20mW's...

I got the 10180 for the red build from AW:
AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 8* - CPFMarketPlace

But lighthound.com has really fast shipping if they carry them. They carry a lot of AW batteries.

They may have the CR1 batteries as well, but I got my CR1's a while back from here:
Sanyo CR-1/3N 2L76 3V Photo Lithium Battery CR-1-3N

Although I'm sure I could find a better price somewhere...

Edit: I just ordered this deal for an 'off brand' that I will try out: (5 pack with free shipping - Cheap price!)
http://24hourbatteries.com/shop/pcs-cr13n3v-lithium-battery-free-shipping-p-119.html

Here's another picture...

TTblu%208.jpg

P.S. In case you order one of these hosts, the mini swivel hook lanyards do not come with them...

Last edited:
Yea I know a 405-G-1 wouldn't really make sense considering the gain/price.
No logic involved here. Its such a nice build that I just want to treat it to a 405-G-1. :bday:

jayrob

You have a point there...

I just may put a 405-G-1 glass lens on this little jewel! :)

Last edited:

jayrob

If your host has room, always use a driver...

These little builds shown in this thread are just because I wanted to make tiny little lasers in this host, which has no room for a driver.

I had read that others have been doing this with similar tiny hosts, and I wanted to try it. The diodes used are very inexpensive, and easy to replace. So it's just to have a very small laser, and to see how the diodes hold up with this set up...

I used the resistor in the red build, because I'm trying to keep the current to a fairly 'normal' level... But if I were to use 3 X LR44 batteries in that one, I would not need the resistor. And of course it would be much less power too...

Last edited:
G

genius5th

nice job, I like ow it fits in a keychain and packs some power

cmak

nice job, I like ow it fits in a keychain and packs some power
what insightful post :whistle:

btw still no plans on making a kit out of this host? if you happen to feel the urge, guess who's gonna be first in line to buy one :san:

:kewlpics::gj: keep it coming!

peace & thanks
-cmak

jayrob

Well... You guys saw the pictures, so you know that the blu-ray version will need some custom modifications to fit 2 X CR1 lithium batteries...

But the red version would be fairly easy to make if I just drilled out the head for you...

Maybe if I did a kit, I could size a module for the proper fit (with scotch tape wrap for isolation), and include it in a kit.

But I ruined one drill bit making only two of these. Drill bits are not too expensive, but I would have to calculate the price of new bits and maybe even a new reamer into my pricing...

And on top of that, the host will cost $30 dollars just to get one. (with their shipping cost)

Parts from me:

* Titanium host - $30
* AixiZ module - $5
* 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor - N/C

Parts that you must get:

* 10180 battery - $6 (it says out of stock, but you can message him and get them)
AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 8* - CPFMarketPlace
* Charger - About $20 bucks:
Battery chargers for lithium ion coin cells
* Diode

Then I would have to figure out how much I would have to charge for the drilling and the fitting of the module. Which would not be bad at all if it were not for the titanium material being a pain to work with.

I think maybe if you pay in advance for me to order the host, then after I receive the host, I can collect the rest of the payment for the machine work and shipping.

But if I had to buy these in advance, and stock them. Then I would charge a little extra just for the parts.

So I have to check pricing on replacement bits and reamers, and then figure it out. But I would estimate at least $30 dollars for the module and the machine work, plus shipping. Maybe even a little more...

So think about that, and if you still want to proceed, then I will check prices for replacement bits, and give a solid price...

Last edited:
You really thought you were gonna get away without people clamoring for a kit? :crackup:
A rough estimate of only $30 for the machine work including replacement bits and reamers? Sounds a bit low for the work you have to put in.

jayrob

What I was thinking, was that I could take the price of a drill bit, and a reamer... Then figure that I could probably make three of these if I'm careful not to let it over heat like I did with my last one.

So then I could just do some math, and add in my time for the work...

I'll check into the price of replacement bits and get a solid price for you.

But I'm just talking about the red modification, not the blu-ray...

jayrob

FS thread is here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-tiny-titanium-key-chain-kit-red-48899.html

Ok here's the deal...

This is based on the idea that I can drill out 3 of these titanium hosts per bit and reamer:

Since the bit and reamer will cost me $30 dollars for the pair (shipped), I will charge an extra $10 dollars on top of what I would like to make for the machine work to cover the replacement bits...

(See pictures - first post)

Red build kit: (The kit will not include the laser diode, battery, cap, silicon diode, or stickers) But I will include a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor...

* Host - $30 (or send me yours)
* Tiny swivel hook option - $2 (The swivel hook does not come with the host, but I have some if you want one with the kit)
* AixiZ module - $5 (complete module - includes acrylic lens)
* 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor - N/C
* Machine the head and fit the module (for a single Scotch tape wrap) - $25
* Tool bit estimate - $10 (this charge may or may not need to be changed. Could get lower or higher)
* 650-G-1 glass lens option - $52 (let me know if you want a normal one, or a special assembly one as shown in the picture above)
* Shipping - 3% of total, plus $3 dollars (based on PayPal fees and postage)
* Please read my shipping policy here!

($30 in advance to order the host. Or send me the host, and pay for the machine work)

It adds up doesn't it? Remember that the host and module is half the cost...

Last edited:

jayrob

Red build update:

I added a cap and silicon diode for a little more protection to the LD...

TT%2011.jpg

TT%2012.jpg

So now, using a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor with cap and silicon diode... and a fully charged 10180, I get a current draw of 438mA's. Giving 286mW's. With my 650-G-1 glass lens mod... (I liked the 370mW's from a 'direct to battery connection', but I like this little jewel too much to kill the diode so fast)

Last edited:

surfer

Hey how much would it be for the tiny titanium without you making it?

Last edited: