Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Safety Goggles Destructive Test: Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000

I know, but it still doesn't change the fact that I WISH they would accept it. I guess I'll have to pull out the ol' plastic for once :whistle:

I just ordered a pair with paypal, you just have to use a paypal debit card for amazon :san:

Thanks for the review, couldn't pass up a deal like that.

I'm glad it's helping you guys out. :D

Of the different goggles I tried to far, these are the best in terms of overall quality vs price, and I trust them more then the other different chinese goggles I tried to far.

They aren't quite as good as eagle pair, but close.

Thanks for this, Good to know information.

I just ordered a pair with paypal, you just have to use a paypal debit card for amazon :san:

Thanks for the review, couldn't pass up a deal like that.

When I reviewed the Arctic 445nm Lasershades on my website, part of that included destructive testing; However, this was before I got my hands on a LPM that could withstand the power generated by the Arctic. I did however, show a video of the Arctic destroying them. :)

Last edited:
UPDATE 6/26/12: Tested with 405nm and 532nm;

For 405nm performance was excellent, the results were essentially the same as with 445nm.

For 532nm, green light was blocked, HOWEVER I would not advice the use of these goggles with a 532nm, or any DPSS laser if the laser is not IR filtered.

For the 532nm (ignoring IR at the moment, I plan to put a filter in once I get a host made or find a nice flashlight I like) testing, what power laser did you use? Also, did the LPM go to zero when you put the glasses in the way since you said the light was blocked?

I don't plan on using these glasses all the time, I just want two pairs so I can show friends without worrying too much about them staring at the dot or flash blindness. Most of my laser use is outside after dinner when it's just dark enough to see the beam of my "5mW" red pen (it's definitely more than 5mW since the beam is somewhat visible at dusk, and pretty much completely visible at night), so I think I would be fine with these anyway, but I want your opinion before I go and order three pairs.

The LPM didn't go to zero, but that's because of IR.

Surprisingly while testing out the goggles I discovered that one of my lasers, which I thought was IR filtered, in fact isn't.

These are a good option for "guest" goggles IMO, so long as you're aware that they don't do anything for IR at all.

Thanks for the answer. I just ordered three pairs of these glasses. All I really care about is blocking the green light since our eyes are most sensitive to it. I know that IR is just a dangerous and sometimes even more dangerous because there is no blink reflex for it, but I don't think it will be a problem, especially outdoors.

One good thing about these glasses is that you can use them to check whether a green laser has ir filtering.

My Optotronics 165 was metering about 200 mW and passed 5mW to the sensor, which either means the glasses do not block green 100% or the Optotronics has a very small amount of ir leaking. I'm not sure which. Either way, taking 200mW down to 5mW is very respectable.

For blue and violet they are unbeatable at their price. Especially for someone who wants "friend glasses."

I find them to be perfect for when I want to show off the burning capability of a 2 watt 445 or a 600mW 405 and not worry about them staring at the dot.

And I know opinions vary widely about burning, but it is without a doubt one of the most impressive things you can do to show off your laser to most people.

No matter what, having extra glasses that have been tested by several members of the forum is definitely a good thing. Worst case scenario, you have some very powerful "blue-blocker" sunglasses! :D

Worst case scenario, you have some very powerful "blue-blocker" sunglasses! :D

Hahaha, I use these when I'm riding my bike because small flies get into my eyes. Too lazy + poor to buy proper sunglasses.

These double as safety goggles AND everyday sunglasses. :crackup:

I actually use clip ons, on my glasses, and often times will wear one of these over my glasses, with the clip ons, on. Works really well when it's mid day.

I bought a few of these, and I have just one question. It's a newbie question, so be warned. ha.

I have a 112mw Lazerer 532 that shows 7mw IR. I guess I'm not 100% what that means, but would that be out of the safe range for these goggles?

Yes, and no. Not exactly a newbie answer, so be warned :na:

These goggles will not do anything to block IR. So if you were to take a direct hit, your eye would be exposed to about 7mW of IR.

That said, they should be ok for the green component, and 7mW is really not much. The IR is also usually not nearly as focused.

Just still be careful with your laser.

Goggles are really the LAST line of protection. It's being careful with the laser, making sure it is completely secure, and controlling it's beam path (preventing it from hitting shiny things for example) that you should focus on.

Best option on a budget. Though obviously there is no comparison in protection versus certified goggles.

Zeebit

Troll or otherwise, you obviously just came here to necropost or you just cant read. :tsk: :twak:

The test is mainly about 445nm protection.

Last edited: