Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Husky Greenie

For those of you looking for a cheap host for a green module that is readily obtainable, I wanted to show you my Home Depot Husky (2pack for $6). It is the same host that Whatsupadrian was selling, and BobBoyce showed his copper heat sink mod on. I used the Husky host because I destroyed the pen host during the extrication process.

My friend JohnLawson convinced me to order a few of the DX 5mw pointers and crank up the pots on them. So far I have had decent luck, and all are as bright as my Ledshoppe 50mw's. However, I haven't metered them so I don't know the actual outputs.

I had a couple of leftover aixiz modules laying around, so I cut the backside off of one to use as a cover for the 532nm module's lens. This allows for the use of a dust cap, and I think it looks cleaner too.

I have a lathe, so I made my own heat sink. Being the module is the same size as an aixiz module, I imagine BobBoyce's method would work as well.
The only additional items needed were a cr2 battery and a piece of 5/8" hose to use as a sleeve for the battery.
Here are some pics from my cellphone...
noname3f.jpg

noname1l.jpg

nonamenwn.jpg

greengitd2.jpg

I apologize if this has been posted before...I didn't use the search button:na:

Last edited:

Nice Find -low prices too you should offer these up to members
or possibly a kit ????

very nice build!!

i actually have a home depot not too far from my house.. so getting those husky lights would be no issue.. that and i actually have one that i use as a.. flashlight..
(can't really sacrifice that one to the laser gods at this time.. lol :p )

yea.. john pretty much convinced me to try and pick up a few dx true 5's too.. and still "waiting on supplier" for now.. *sigh*..

i wish i had a lathe.. eh.. oh well..

Nice Find -low prices too you should offer these up to members
or possibly a kit ????

Nah, not my thing. If someone else wants to market a kit, that would be cool. The heat sink I used fits many other similar hosts as well. I just wanted to share the info and show it could be done.

Thanks for the kudos.:yh:

Coldstl; Do you have a SKU# for the $6 Home Depot Husky 2 pack??--:thanks:

Last edited:
I believe the sku is 315 760, for the 2 pack,but I'm not sure. Red and black are the colors, and they are a little cheaper than the 4pack (which has red, blue, silver, black)

The Home Depot sku is 459-504 for the 4 pack of flashlights ($13). These aren't always in stock.

DX sells these as well, you will have to wait for delivery. Then again, that's where I bought the 5mw from.
I'm estimating these should cost less than $30 to make, depending on the heatsink used. Check this out http://laserpointerforums.com/f46/home-depot-sale-cheap-husky-hosts-32256.html. I haven't priced the materials BobBoyce used, but it shouldn't be more than $5 if you go this route.

Those look awesome maybe you can hook me up with a heat sink :)

Justin

When my order from you gets delivered I will use the return address and send you one. I'm still waiting on some aluminum stock, so give me a week. You will need an aixiz module "back" for the dust cover. I used a pipe cutter to trim it down to the size I needed.

I've used these hosts myself for some time, but only for red and blu-ray lasers. Nice work on the green..

These have identical interior dimensions as the "pocket pal" host, so everything can be done the same way. Very convenient.

Thanks, EF. I also made a heatsink for this host with a little exit hole, instead of using the aixiz module, and was able to finally use one of the IR filters I bought off of you...(almost a year ago).

Thanks, EF. I also made a heatsink for this host with a little exit hole, instead of using the aixiz module, and was able to finally use one of the IR filters I bought off of you...(almost a year ago).

That's awesome, glad to hear it! Can't believe that was almost a year ago.. time flies.

64666133.jpg

19545293.jpg

I made this massive heat sink with the hope that it will allow for a longer duty cycle. The entire green module, except for most of the driver, fits inside. It might be overkill, but I like how the host feels solid in my hand.