Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap DX driver worth it?

Jstr

So I am planning on building a pair of m140 diodes into a couple relatively small hosts. I found this DX driver (actually 2, which is an added bonus).

I also like the current, at 1400 mA because it won't push the heatsink's capacity too much . I'm not sure about the 5 modes, if the 10% one will even work, but other than that it seems like a good deal. Probably the biggest reason I like it is that it runs off just one lithium ion battery.

I am still a little skeptical, however, so I thought I'd run it by some laser pros first :) good idea or no?

kilter

They shouldn't be too junky, but at the price, I think you should give it a shot!

Fiddy

it will run the diodes but not at 1400mA, i cant see an inductor on the driver so it cannot boost above a single cell voltage of 4.2V or its drop out voltage, ive done this before and only got ~300mA on high.

need a boost driver.

Jstr

Oh...
Thanks for confirming, I thought it might be too good to be true, and I was wondering how it would possibly put out 1400 mA with 4.2V input.

I might buy it just to test and make sure, but the 5 mode is kind of a turnoff anyway. Btw, is there a way to remove the memory switch to just get one mode? For the price I wouldn't mind the trouble of having to use 2 cells.

Or do you know of any 17mm boost drivers that can output 1400-1600 mA?

DTR

The X-boost comes in a round 17mm version that can do 1400-1600mA. Check with Flaminpyro he may have some in stock. Experimenting with LED drivers can be very risky as most will have nasty overshoot if they even regulate to the correct current. You don't save any money if you loose a diode. I would suggest sticking with laser drivers:beer:

Last edited:
What DTR said.

You're prepared to buy a $50 diode but then think that you'll save money by skimping out on the driver?

Save yourself some money in the long run and buy a laser driver.

Last edited:

Jstr

Okay I looked at flamingpyros thread, and I think what I need is the sxb2. Is this the one that can do 1400 mA?

DTR

It can do 1400mA but is not 17mm you said you wanted and it is a bit of overkill. An X-boost may be a better choice.:beer:

Jstr

Ok I double checked the xdrive xboost thread and there are just two xboost drivers and neither are round...
I appreciate the help very much, I'm just a little confused.

DTR

Shoot Flaminpyro a message seeing if he has any not listed or when they will be back in stock.:)