Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap 5mW 650nm DollarTree Laser

Hey guys,

I first thought my review would be of my 635nm LaserGlow 5mW but when I went to the DollarTree to get a Soda I saw this and thought, why not add it to the collection of my 5mW "Rainbow" and make a Review.

Edit: Only managed to use Flickr so bare with me :wave:

Laser itself:
Laser | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For only $1 this laser definitely feels cheap, it is made out of plastic(as is expected) and seems to want to break in your hand if you press it too hard, the buttons themselves actually seem solid which amazed me for a device this cheap, though still made out of plastic, these seem to be the strongest pard of the laser:eek:

Details:
Laser2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This Laser is a Class IIIa laser with a maximum output of 5mW, the wavelength is 650nm which is common. I never thought of adding this to my 5mW collection but as this was an "Extra" wavelength I thought let's just go for it.

The Dot:
Laser3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The dot as expected from a 650nm unit is Red, the dot actually seems to be a higher quality then I expected, no beam can be seen unless you aim it at eye level
I.e: Aimed at eye level to the floor

In conclusion:
9/10
This is a pretty nice laser for $1 and is great for adding an extra wavelength if you do not own 650nm already.

Well, this was my first review. I know I have alot to improve on and will find a way to upload the pictures directly on the thread next time. Hope you enjoyed and leave some feedback, thanks for reading :beer:

Tmack

Upload the picture to your LPF album. Then copy the bottom BB code. Paste to the thread.

Can't beat a buck.

Wow I have never seen a laser for $1. before, $3. is the cheapest I have seen here. That laser is very similar to one I have, my first laser I bought several years ago but its metal not plastic, amazingly it still works. I have a hard time imagining you can see the beam though, maybe that thing is over spec. I have three red lasers and can't see the beam unless I shine through some liquid or something. I have a 635nm that was supposed to have been tested to be between 4.9 and 5mw and they are brighter than 650nm and I just tried it in the dark at eye level and still couldn't see the beam. Anyway thanks for the review of what may be the cheapest laser sold in stores in the US.

Alan

Wow I have never seen a laser for $1. before, $3. is the cheapest I have seen here. That laser is very similar to one I have, my first laser I bought several years ago but its metal not plastic, amazingly it still works. I have a hard time imagining you can see the beam though, maybe that thing is over spec. I have three red lasers and can't see the beam unless I shine through some liquid or something. I have a 635nm that was supposed to have been tested to be between 4.9 and 5mw and they are brighter than 650nm and I just tried it in the dark at eye level and still couldn't see the beam. Anyway thanks for the review of what may be the cheapest laser sold in stores in the US.

Alan

No problemo :yh:

I thought we only bought from trusted sellers ;) I got the same laser for .50 at a flea market once :p

I was joking lol. It's all good. I'm just hoping my stinger pens take off properly. Cheers :beer:

I re read it and if you can see a beam at all then it's overspec. Got in 6 ebay pens today (stinger pen to be) and the beam on the reds is easy to see making them WAY overspec. Pointers for days...

kilter

obama-not-bad-l.png

Yeah. My stinger pens compose of the ebay pens (as the stinger pens are highly modified ebay pens). I'll make a thread when I get my big order in (will probably consist of 30 pens :p)

Yeah but every sale gets some money behind it. Maybe with all the profits I can get one when I order my 561 :p

Can't say I've seen many 5mW red laser reviews around. Good job Greenlander, very thorough. I mean as thorough as you can get with a 5mW red pointer :p

Last edited: