Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chat with a WL employee joe.

USAbro

Hey guys, I just contacted WL with this email.

Hey WL, I had a suggestion. Can you make a handheld laser in 473nm for under $100. It can be as low as 5mw just I really want one! I see you spyder II gx was one but can you make a new one. Please pass it along and please reply to this email.

Thanks

USAbro

P.S. Can you have one of your staff join www.laserpointerforums.com to answer technical questions we may have on the forums?

Within 3 minutes I got a response.

Hello USAbro,

R&D is always working on new models, power outputs and wavelengths.
Might have a laser in that wavelength in the future as it is a popular color.
Let folks at LPF know that your support ticket questin was answered in 3 minutes, thanks :)

Best regards,
Joe N.
Wicked Lasers Support

I think WL support is fantastic, this may mean that WL is really striving to improve business. I couldn't get that fast of help here on the forums.

Tell me what ya'll think.

I think if your getting help quicker through e-mail from WL stick with it.

1) I think you don't understand lasers if you think you will ever get a 473 for 100$
2) WL joining LPF wont change a lot of peoples minds on buying their products- still way overpriced and not special in any way
3) for all we know, "laserpointerforums" is a keyword that instantly notifies them so they can respond. After all, we did make a thread that got LPF in legal trouble with them, so you can be assured they want to make a good impression.

@crazyspaz

Agree with you. You won't find a 473 handheld laser for under $100, let alone from Wicked Lasers. I'm not saying Wicked Lasers is bad but even their 532nm lasers aren't really cheap & that's one of the easiest DPSS wavelengths to produce. 473 being much more complicated & costly!

-Alex

Last edited:
You can get hold of 473s for under $100 relatively easily.

And is 473 even that complicated? I thought it was just inefficient, but it's hardly much more exotic than the 532 process.

Last edited:

And is 473 even that complicated? I thought it was just inefficient, but it's hardly much more exotic than the 532 process.

Links, then.
And yes, it is a very picky process.

ARG

WL only sells handhelds though. Those lab lasers for under $100 don't really count for this purpose.

3Pig

If they released a 473 handheld the price would be insane, costing way more than other 473 handhelds on the market, because its clear that they really like big profit margins. I guess they would need a fair bit for marketing, since that's what they seem to care about more than anything, but still, charging $600 for 2W of 445 is just retarded.

Last edited:
so how can a lab laser be so cheap then? i dont see the difference.

ARG

so how can a lab laser be so cheap then? i dont see the difference.

Those lab lasers were not new. They were surplus. On top of that many required repair and tuning to get it working again.

ok i see,, doubt wl could produce anything that cheap or even close.

USAbro

I meant nothing bad about the forums, just comparing there response time. The forum members provide conversation style info with more information to be given.

I will humbly say, I no nothing about the 473 process, I just know they're expensive. However no need to pummel me. I asked them. It was a suggestion. And I'm sure one can be built for under $100. They would need microscopic profit margins and very low powered laser. TMO.

Let's get along. If you would like to correct what I said, do it, but do it nicely without shoving me down.

I meant nothing bad about the forums, just comparing there response time. The forum members provide conversation style info with more information to be given.

I will humbly say, I no nothing about the 473 process, I just know they're expensive. However no need to pummel me. I asked them. It was a suggestion. And I'm sure one can be built for under $100. They would need microscopic profit margins and very low powered laser. TMO.

Let's get along. If you would like to correct what I said, do it, but do it nicely without shoving me down.

Hey USA, the 473nm process is as follows:

808nm----->946nm---->473nm

Building a 473nm laser will be more then $100, 473nm is pretty inefficient around 3-5% IIRC so getting 5mW of 473nm requires a strong pump diode & expensive crystals!

-Alex

Last edited:

upaa27

Remember, the pump diode needs to be pretty powerful to get enough power out of the gain medium to get light out of the doubler. The effeciency is pretty bad. The gain medium can cost a good bit as well as the crystals and stability additions. ;)

Not exactly something you can make for under $100 unless your in China, but wl tends to be 200%+ overpriced.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG