Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Casio driver

DTR

Fly's have very complex eyes that have the ability to detect light polarization. Here is some info I grabbed of the web.:D

"House fly eyes are compound organs that are comprised of thousands of individual lenses. Compound eyes are capable of detecting both the polarization of light and color spectrum's unseen by humans.

House fly eyes can recognize even the slightest movements in a full, 360-degree spectrum. This allows the fly to see a far wider range, as well as detect and react to movement at a quicker pace than species with simple eyes. This is the reason that it is extremely difficult to swat a housefly. One tactic that may prove successful is to swat at the fly simultaneously with two objects: this confuses the receptors of the housefly."

Morgan

I suppose being able to see the polarization of light would allow these smaller creatures to determine their orientation to it and therefore which way up they are? I would think it difficult to have an inertia based system like that of more complex lifeforms.

WAAAAaaayyyy off topic. Sorry TJ, but this is a nice side subject.

Still no solution to running more than 1 diode from a single driver though. I have seen it done but only two diodes at a time, (LOCs). I think they were in parallel if that helps? I'd just give it a go if you've got a fair few low powered IRs. If you hooked, say, three up in parallel and deliberately chopped one out of circuit, see what happens. At worst, you'll only be two down.

M
:)

Good idea, I'll try that.

I dont mind offtopic. The thread is pretty much dead anyway.

HIMNL9

But, running 2 (or 3) of them in parallel on a constant current driver, means that if you have, as example, 3A, for the 3 in parallel (1A each), and chop one, the driver still push 3A, so they become 1,5A each (for 3 diodes) ..... worse for 2, cause for 2A (1A each one), cutting one the remaining one get the full 2A ..... constant current drivers don't care about the resistance of the load, they keep the current constant also if the load change .....

DTR

I don't know why but this thread got me thinking. Can you put a high power laser through a large fiber optic cable?

Last edited:
Some of those 40W CO2 laser use fiber. I'm sure ~2Ws of 445nm wouldn't be a problem. I'd ask that question in the Optics section. Electrofreak knows about fiber too.

Benm

Only joking. Sorry.

I'm trying to cover my house in an IR beam web. I have plenty of low power IR diodes, I just dont want/afford to have to add 20 drivers to the set up.

Well, if you actually wanted to do that, i'd just run the whole shabam in series. Apart from mechanical abuse, i've never had a single diode failing into open circuit. If they go LED from COD, the electrical characteristics remain pretty close to the normally functioning part.

DTR

Some of those 40W CO2 laser use fiber. I'm sure ~2Ws of 445nm wouldn't be a problem. I'd ask that question in the Optics section. Electrofreak knows about fiber too.

Good deal. Was thinking projector backpack with a cord. Kind of like a ghostbuster backpack.:)

Good deal. Was thinking projector backpack with a cord. Kind of like a ghostbuster backpack.:)

I believe you would still have to collimate the beams first. Which goes back to your original problem.

*Back to the spider topic*
I would have squashed "Boris"
Spiders often wander over and bite/feed off of you at night.
I was getting red marks on my hand that weren't going away a few months ago. Turns out they were spider bites and they weren't going away because the little bastard kept biting me every night.
I like the jumping spiders too but if they are in the house, they die.
One also ran up my nose one time when my gf tried to brush it off....
I was amazed at how much fluid can come out of your nose when there is a spider running around in there. :eek:

LMFAO. Man, get some bug spray.

I got a baby roach in my ear once. I was around 13, and freaked hard. I could hear it scraping my ear drum. My brother was passed out drunk, and I couldn't wake him up to bring me to the hospital. I ended up pouring alcohol in my ear. It finally died and fell out.

DTR

LMFAO. Man, get some bug spray.

I got a baby roach in my ear once. I was around 13, and freaked hard. I could hear it scraping my ear drum. My brother was passed out drunk, and I couldn't wake him up to bring me to the hospital. I ended up pouring alcohol in my ear. It finally died and fell out.

That just freaks me out thinking about it. I got a bee in my mouth once but luckily spit him out before he stung me.:eek: