Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Career Suggestions

Hey guys, I'm currently a senior in high school and college applications are due sometime in November. Anyways I have no idea what career I would like to pursue. I thought I would ask here for some suggestions. Lots of people are telling me to be some sort of engineer because I'm okay at math.

Well what do you want to be? You said you were good at math do you like math do you want to be an engineer? I could tell you to be an astronomer you might not want to be that. You have to choose what you would like to be because I would suggest an NBA superstar to bring home the money but that wouldn't matter If you don't like basketball or have not trained to be in the NBA. SO don't ask us but ask yourself. :yh:

Yeah, this is exactly what the school counselor has told me, but that's just it, I don't have an idea of what I want to be. I'm good at math and writing and all that academic stuff but I don't like that stuff too much. Also I'm not too concerned with pay, I would like to enjoy my career.

Yeah, I enjoy video games, and physics and electronics sounds good too, but I don't know if I have the money to study for careers like those. My school is really , umm, ghetto is the word that comes to mind. My school only has a handful of AP courses, AP European History, AP Spanish, AP US History, AP Statistics, and AP Spanish Literature. I've already taken AP Spanish, and AP European History, and I'm currently taking the rest. It's going to be hard getting a scholarship from my school.

Well, go out after HS and get a few worthless jobs like I did, you will most likely learn to hate them. In those hours of unbearable boredom at those jobs you loath, you will most certainly think of what you would rather be doing, concentrate on doing that thing for a living. Worst case scenario you will at least know what you don't want to do!

EDIT: I think this is how a lot of people have ended up in college

Last edited:
Just study physics. There you will learn to either love, or hate math.

If you start loving it, stop there and then go ahead and pursue engineering since that's what feeds the kids. Engineers use math like its a language. So if you can't learn to speak Italian, leave Italy.

haha, I think I already know what I don't want to do. This summer I volunteered at a rescue mission. I would make food, then I would wash SO many plates, then help clean this big kitchen, after that we would go to this place with tables and serve the food to homeless people. I like helping people and all but that was tiring, I hate to sound like a jerk, but I think I got a little taste of all the jobs I don't want. I guess I'll give engineering a go then. Any specific branch of engineer you guys suggest?

Here's advice from someone who has been around the block a few times, and has studied this very question.

Don't study English or Political Science or Sociology, or anything like that, unless you want to work for Walmart.

Don't go into Medicine, or any other field that is shifting into government control, unless you want to work for the government. And even then, don't go into a medical specialty than can be easily outsourced to Romania, such as Radiology.

Don't go into Science, unless you are either so smart that you can get tenure as a full Professor at a University, or you are happy spending most of your time writing research grant proposals and chasing after the next research grant.

Don't go into Engineering if there is any chance that someone else in India or China can do the same Engineering. Only go into Engineering if you can find a niche that involves regular, day-to-day, face-to-face contact with people who have to be local to you, or requires hands-on, physical contact with immovable subject matter (such as mines, oil fields, chemical plants, and bridges). Otherwise, any Engineering work is prime to be outsourced to India or China.

Basically, pick a career that requires daily, face-to-face interaction with people in a place that you would be happy to live, or hands-on work with immovable artifacts in places that you would like to live.

(Oh, and don't go into Law, even though it seems to apply to these criteria. New Lawyers are all getting screwed these days).

Mathematics is a VERY hot field right now. Good Mathematics majors are getting amazing career offers these days in a variety of industries. If I was starting over now, I would probably major in Mathematics. But, again, it needs to be a sub-specialty that requires working with people face-to-face daily, otherwise it is prime work to be sent to India or China.

Last edited:
Well, I'm okay at math, but unfortunately my school is poor so it doesn't even have Calculus. Otherwise I'd join it in a heartbeat, I need all the college credits I can get. Also if I go into engineering with the military I don't think the jobs will be taken by someone in China or India. They were telling us today in statistics class that there are more honors kids in India than there are kids in the U.S. That's kinda frightening.
lol @ Ghostchrome

lol @ Ghostchrome

You think Ghostchrome is LOL?

I'm 57, and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up (and I've done a buttload of amazingly interesting things while I have been trying to figure that out).

All of LIFE is LOL...

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
if anyone here interested in IT security or information security fields and wants career advice or possible leads to jobs / etc. please email me i can try and help out

take care everyone
peace
-ave