Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cant seem to unscrew aixiz laser module

S

SenKat

Okay - first off - SLOW DOWN !!!

You will get everything to work just fine if you take your time !

Here is how you insert the new diode :

unscrew the aixiz casing - take the BACK half, and turn it around...see that tiny hole ? GOOD - now, insert the PINS of the diode into that hole.
Now, take the FRONT half of hte casing, and place it on top of the diode the way it is supposed to be. Now how do you suppose the diode is going to SLIDE on in there ? Well - take this whole "assembly", holding it together with finger and thumb - and place it in a vice. Yup, a VICE ! Now, tighten the vice SLOWLY (notice the whole SLOW theme here ?) and watch as the diode slides right on into the front half of the casing ! There ! You have it now ! Now - BEFORE YOU DO THIS - make sure there is no crap on your diode's lense...please ? I cannot believe you got it so close to the match that it got scorched ! Slow down, man ! Yer gonna kill it !

Gazoo

Hi Xenodius,
Sorry but I think your diode is bad. I read on another forum about someone else lighting a match and it was so close it ruined the diode. Maybe it was the heat from the match? Or maybe sufur or smoke got inside the diode? I don't really know.

The other thing I learned the hard way is a resistor must be used. I was using a 2.2 ohm 5 watt resister with 2 AA batteries. I know you could get by with a 2 watt resistor. If you have a meter, measure the current. You can still do this with a bad diode as I have found the current will be about the same whether the diode is bad or not. From my experience the absolute maximum for a long lasting diode is a current draw of 200ma. This will give you a a little more than a 100ma output. This is assuming the diode you have is like phukudmss's diode, meaning it was pulled from one of the faster writing DVD drives.

It requires trial and error. All diodes are not the same, even if they come from the same batch they will be a little different.

S

SenKat

Gazoo - sage advice - and some have learned that (like me) the hard way ! I ran through 5 diodes in a row that were bad - they died either on the bench diong preliminary testing, or died once put into service :( THAT sucks.

Uhm... yeah... I think I need to get a new dvd drive.

And about a resistor, I was under the impression that as long as you used AA batteries, and not D cells or anything, you needn't worry about it.

About the diode, I guess smoke must be it, cause the lens is cleaned but it seriously has less power than a 5mW at the moment, and I KNOW that it did NOT get too hot. But the flame was so far away... Grr!

It just kills me that one tiny mistake just cost me 40 bucks.

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Gazoo

SenKat said:
Gazoo - sage advice - and some have learned that (like me) the hard way ! I ran through 5 diodes in a row that were bad - they died either on the bench diong preliminary testing, or died once put into service :( THAT sucks.

Yes it does. You know this but for the others benefit, I ordered a pair of diodes from a seller on e-bay. This was my very first experience with lasers. The first one took a beating and kept on ticking, until it finally died. I wanted to push it hard so I could determine what I should use for the second diode. Well, when I got around to the second diode, I accidentally hooked it up directly to a set of 4 AA Nimh's. I felt so dumb. I instantly ended up with a red LED. The point is, like you said, slow down and be careful. Also use eye protection especially when burning stuff. I ordered a pair of lasershades from Wicked lasers that are perfect for this power in red.

BTW, I have another pair of diodes coming from the same seller tomorrow, and I plan to make them last awhile...lol. At least I hope so.

Gazoo

It doesn't matter if you use a car battery, or AAA's..lol. The point is the current must be regulated.

Sad to say.. my laser diode died before I could even put it into my Aixiz module. But I have got another dvd burner and I did get the IR diode out but I don't know how to get the laser diode out. I have a picture of it that I just took and I'm attaching it. There was alot of that white rubbery type of stuff and I got some of it off but it looks like the laser diode's heatsink is part of that big metal piece or something. There is a small hole where i can see the diode but I'm afraid to do anything without getting any help. Thanks

Attachments

• laser_diode_1.jpg
    laser_diode_1.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 162
A little advanced electronics here. A 12 volt car battery will put out more current than 12 volts of aaa cells. That's due to internal resistance. That's right, a cell of any type in an imperfect world has internal resistance.
A few of us run LD's "direct" -- no driver or resistor !! It's a risky way to do it but we rely on that unknown resistance to limit the current. We do this only after lots of testing and measurements. YMMV.

Mike

Kenom

I've indicated on your picture a few places I would start to cut with the dikes. Free that section of metal from the rest and it will be easier to free it. Another recommendation will follow this as I don't wanna post more than one idea per post.

Attachments

• laser_diode_2_001.jpg
    laser_diode_2_001.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 186

Kenom

If you cannot get the diode portion I mentioned to cut I would then go to structurally weaken some area's first. If you have access to a set of micro drill bits I would go with a very small drill bit and where the circles are shown I would drill VERY SLOWLY then using the dikes cut along the lines indicated.

Attachments

• laser_diode_1_001.jpg
    laser_diode_1_001.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 207

Kenom

What model and make is this drive? seems like a lot of work to remove that one diode but if it's a closed can then it should go in the list.

Thanks Kenom I'm going to try those ideas right now. And the DVD burner is an LG burner and the model is a GSA-H42L. How many DVD burners are on that list of yours?? lol

I just put destroy my DVD burner and add this model at CPF. Yes, I believe it is good idea to compile the list here too...

Sony DRU-700A
Closed Can Diode for both IR and Red
Output unknown.

I'm very lucky since it is too easy to remove both diode out from optic carriage assemby for these model. It is still attached to the small heatsink though, and I'm not planning to remove it so I can run max power on these :)