Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CANCELED FEELER: XPL Lasers (LPF 15% discount instead)

Re: FEELER: XPL Lasers (RG:Y, RB:M, high-power 532s, etc)

It was a gallant effort none the less. For all your efforts +1 rep on the way.

Sta

Update! Peng says he can make a focusable 532nm laser in the old host. You still need two NiMH 1.2V 18650s though, since it is the old host. Li-ion 18650s will kill it. :beer:
HTB1aBK8KFXXXXajXVXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg

Last edited:

I plan to purchase the RG:Y for my birthday 7/24. Gotta pay mortgage with this paycheck, bills with the next, and if enough left overs I'll make the purchase as well as a "First Impressions" video (no LPM so can't call it a review)

Encap

Update! Peng says he can make a focusable 532nm laser in the old host. You still need two NiMH 1.2V 18650s though, since it is the old host. Li-ion 18650s will kill it. :beer:
QUOTE]

On the XPL web site it says the 532nm 1W, 1.5W, and 2W take 18670 batteries which are 1.2V--these batteries while widely available in China are not popular and relatively uncommon in USA + not many choices of manufacturers if you can find any.

Will the new hosts take 18650 3.7v batteries which are now commomly available most everywhere in USA and from a wide range of manufacturers and used in most every hand held laser currently in production.

If so, it might be a better choice to wait for the new model host if it take batteries we all know and use already--just a thought.

Will the new host be a different design/ look different or will it be the same but take different batteries. Will the new 532nm host take 1 or 2 18650s? If different are any pictures available.

I also noticed the specs on all of XPLs laser under Warranty say, 1 year (LD died not included). Does that mean if the laser diode dies at any point, it is not covered by warranty?

Sta

QUOTE]

On the XPL web site it says the 532nm 1W, 1.5W, and 2W take 18670 batteries which are 1.2V--these batteries while widely available in China are not popular and relatively uncommon in USA + not many choices of manufacturers if you can find any.

Will the new hosts take 18650 3.7v batteries which are now commomly available most everywhere in USA and from a wide range of manufacturers and used in most every hand held laser currently in production.

If so, it might be a better choice to wait for the new model host if it take batteries we all know and use already--just a thought.

Will the new host be a different design/ look different or will it be the same but take different batteries. Will the new 532nm host take 1 or 2 18650s? If different are any pictures available.

I also noticed the specs on all of XPLs laser under Warranty say, 1 year (LD died not included). Does that mean if the laser diode dies at any point, it is not covered by warranty?

The new hosts take LiFePO4 batteries, I believe. He said they take a single 18650 sized battery. No pictures available yet as manufacturing has not yet started. It is a completely different design.

I will ask Peng for clarification on the warranty. :beer:

diachi

I'd assume that's exactly what it means - and in this case it could refer to damaged crystals/other optical components too (if there are any outside of any collimating optics, for all we know it's using some giant hybrid crystals with coatings on the faces that we've not seen before).

I'd be wary of that - wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Chinese seller refer to the whole DPSS module as the "diode".

Encap

The new hosts take LiFePO4 batteries, I believe. He said they take a single 18650 sized battery. No pictures available yet as manufacturing has not yet started. It is a completely different design.

I will ask Peng for clarification on the warranty. :beer:

See if you can't get Mr. Peng to clear up the the battery issues----get huim to tell you what is what.

18670--the current 1W, 1.5W, and 2W 532nm all say 18670 which is a 1.2 volt battery

18650 LiFePO4 seems to all be 3.2V have a lower energy density than other chemistry in general. You’ll be hard pressed to find an 18650 with much over 1500 mAh actual capacity. Is a poor choice for a high output laser.

18650 that everyone is familiar with here are all 3.7V with high mAh capacity

Edit: Sta--please ask if the 532nm 500mW through 2000mW models are all IR filtered continous wave as same is not mentioned in the specs---also ask what the duty cycle is for each as it is not stated anywhere.

I'd assume that's exactly what it means - and in this case it could refer to damaged crystals/other optical components too (if there are any outside of any collimating optics, for all we know it's using some giant hybrid crystals with coatings on the faces that we've not seen before).

I'd be wary of that - wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Chinese seller refer to the whole DPSS module as the "diode".

XPL says the same thing on most all of it's lasers at least the one's I checked 532nm, 445nm, 405nm all warranty 1 year(LD not included). Does not sit very well--does make me a bit wary/uncomfortable

Last edited:

diachi

XPL says the same thing on most all of it's lasers at least the one's I checked 532nm, 445nm, 405nm all warranty 1 year(LD not included). Does not sit very well--does may me wary.

Yep - it's something that needs clarified.

Just because you can get 2W out of some crystals doesn't mean they can actually survive the required input power for any length of time (which would explain the lack of warranty there if this is the case). Also possible that the pump diodes are being severely over driven to reduce costs - which would again explain the lack of a warranty on the "diode"... Generally these things are covered under warranty - diodes/crystals are actually really quite reliable when run at spec with proper electronics driving them and proper cooling/mounting - as long as you aren't going around dropping the laser...

Imagine you bought a 2W labby from Viasho and they told you that if the diode breaks during the warranty period that you are SoL? Of course that product would be way more expensive, but the point stands. It'd be like buying a new vehicle that doesn't have the power-train covered under warranty...

May all very well be entirely legit (and I hope it is!) - but it's best to proceed with caution before dropping so much money on what is basically, at the moment, an unknown.

Last edited:

I think the discount coupon is a very good idea, it avoids the mess with reshipping, allows everyone to pay with AliExpress and allows those that want to buy one at a later date to do so.

BTW, how would you buy it on AliExpress without the accessories?

I think the discount coupon is a very good idea, it avoids the mess with reshipping, allows everyone to pay with AliExpress and allows those that want to buy one at a later date to do so.

BTW, how would you buy it on AliExpress without the accessories?

I think you just contact the seller and they can set it up for you.

But can you still pay them through Ali?

Sta

But can you still pay them through Ali?

Yep of course. Though I don't think you can get the LPF discount yet as the coupon code has not been put in yet. :beer:

I wonder what kind of cheap driver they are using that a couple volts of supply voltage too high can't regulate the current any longer. If it sounds too good to be true.....

Sta

I wonder what kind of cheap driver they are using that a couple volts of supply voltage too high can't regulate the current any longer. If it sounds too good to be true.....

The driver is still subject to change, but I will ask Peng if it is a linear driver. If so, normal Li-ions should be fine with the new host. :beer:

Any update when they are giving the 15% off out?