Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Canada pilots hit with dx laser!

Things

Yep, looks like a DX/newwish/KD to me. Though i am still stumped how they get the laser INTO the cockpit, since its on top of the plane.

Benm

Yeah, i was amazed by the stupid diagram in the video as well, the only thing you could possibly hit like that is the bottom of the aircraft, and as far as i know planes dont have windows in the floor (some helicopters do, however).

The only way you could shine into the cockpit would be on landing standing on the end or alongside the runway, not an easily accessible area to get to usually. It could be done somewhat behind the runway but even that is hardly feasible on most airports since there is often a considerable strech of fenced off land there.

I also wonder if any regulations would apply to other focussed light sources too - though i doubt any affordable non-laser would come close in terms of candlepowers.

Switch

Someone did it on September 11th 2007, frickin Osama-fan terrorist wannabe :p
That CO2 laser used to ignite wood from 1.5 km away is totally scary :-/
I'm happy I see my dot at 1500 meters and they can start fires at the same distance with only a 2 ton truck mounted laser...hmm :p

JLSE

The crappiest thing ive read associated to the laser vs aircraft thing, is that there have been pilots in Canada and the US that have been grounded due to damage received to their retnas and reduced vision. One of them was from BC and the other i believe was in WA. The angle is impossible i think when the plane is at cruising altitude, but on approach it probably wouldnt be too difficult to get it through the windscreen. Does anyone here know if there is a transparent material that would stop 532nm? So far red seems to be the norm for goggles. I have filters for 405nm and when viewed up close, they consist of a tiny mesh screen which only alows  the 405nm to pass. When i try it with red or green, it simply bounces the light. I believe this is the same concept as the mesh on a microwave ovens door. But the visibility factor would be greatly reduced with this method.

^Well, filtering one color of light can't really easily result in white light coming out the other side. The colors you often see with glasses are the result of the absorption of a color. Absorb all the green, and you'll get red. This is simply from the color wheel of opposite colors, green is opposite of red. This isn't a hard-fast rule, but you generally can't block a color without screwing up other colors too, and you certainly can't still get white from outside the plane through the cockpit. The mesh you're talking about might be a Faraday cage, which is a screen of a conductor where the holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation. We use them around RF sources in a lab I work in. This means to block visible light, the holes are on the nanometer scale, which is doable, but it certainly isn't selective, it blocks all above it and none below it, as you observed with it stopping red and allowing violet to pass. This wouldn't really be feasible either since if it's blocking light, it's not transparent anymore, and won't make a very good window. ;)

Also, look at airports at night. They use almost all colors of lights for indicators on the ground, including red, blue, green, yellow, and white. You can't block these colors, because the pilots need the indicators when operating the planes on the ground and when landing and taking off.

Basically, it's just like anything else, people need to be educated and not do stupid things with lasers. People can do stupid things in a car, people can do stupid things with guns, and people can do stupid things with lasers. Any of these can hurt others, it's up to education and responsible decision-making to stop idiots from messing things up for everyone els.

Maybe the news should make up fake stories of a few plane/helicopter crashes (resulting in a bunch of deaths) caused by lasers. Then Tell everyone how the guys were caught and screwed over for life. Then maybe people will do it less often.

Razako

Educating people about the dangers of doing this isn't an effective solution. I would guess that 90% of this is done by people intentionally trying to mess with the pilots. What they need to do is catch a couple of the idiots and make an example of them. It can't be THAT hard to catch a guy standing near the end of a runway pointing a green laser right into the cockpit of a plane. Just trace the green beam back to his location and send some cops out to get him.

Ace82

Over 900 cases in US since 2004?! :-/ Wow. Like I've mentioned several times in this forum, there are many idiots in the world. There is no stopping human stupidity!

Switch

pullbangdead said:
^Well, filtering one color of light can't really easily result in white light coming out the other side.  The colors you often see with glasses are the result of the absorption of a color.  Absorb all the green, and you'll get red.  This is simply from the color wheel of opposite colors, green is opposite of red.  This isn't a hard-fast rule, but you generally can't block a color without screwing up other colors too, and you certainly can't still get white from outside the plane through the cockpit.  The mesh you're talking about might be a Faraday cage, which is a screen of a conductor where the holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation.  We use them around RF sources in a lab I work in.  This means to block visible light, the holes are on the nanometer scale, which is doable, but it certainly isn't selective, it blocks all above it and none below it, as you observed with it stopping red and allowing violet to pass.  This wouldn't really be feasible either since if it's blocking light, it's not transparent anymore, and won't make a very good window. ;)

Also, look at airports at night.  They use almost all colors of lights for indicators on the ground, including red, blue, green, yellow, and white.  You can't block these colors, because the pilots need the indicators when operating the planes on the ground and when landing and taking off.

Basically, it's just like anything else, people need to be educated and not do stupid things with lasers.  People can do stupid things in a car, people can do stupid things with guns, and people can do stupid things with lasers.  Any of these can hurt others, it's up to education and responsible decision-making to stop idiots from messing things up for everyone els.
Would be nice if we didn't need to block a whole colour , just two or three wavelengths.That probably wouldn't affect white light much....

false:
Someone did it on September 11th 2007, frickin Osama-fan terrorist wannabe
true : Someone did it on September 11th 2007, frickin BUSH-fan terrorist wannabe

can't really add anything to this thread, everything was said.

although, i would find it pretty bad if the news made a fake story, which they do, but when u realize its not real u dont like it.

i'm not sure how many people actually own a greenie, in the states maybe there are more, but here in argentina i've only seen ONE with it.

and according to the RENAR (registry of weapons of arg.) there are approximately 155 lab lasers in the whole country.

I agree. In Toronto, for instance there are a dozen hotels almost directly in line with the runways of the airport. All it takes is one bored and drunk convention drone to point a greenie out the window and tag a pilot on approach from the South for le merde to hit the fan. I'm really surprised that they don't have hi-rez cameras trained all over the airport periphery to catch that sort of thing. (or maybe they do... :-X) With an aircraft descending almost directly toward you, it wouldn't be that hard to keep aim on the cockpit from a hotel balcony. Abct is right, If the pilots are concentrating on the runway, a beam from 1kM away directly ahead would certainly dazzle you.

CC