Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can you drive a stick?

FokoP said:
I know this may just be a stereotype, but what is with americans and automatics? 16 is the legal driving age right? is that only auto or is it for manual and automatic....
So weird.... Manuals are the way to go, drop in gear when you have road rage and over take the slow bastard in front of you :D
16 in most places :p it doesn't matter which you drive but most people now drive automatics for some reason :-/ I was driving a manual for the longest time but I just recently switched to auto because I had no choice :'( I'm gonna switch back as soon as I can.

It was fun having people try to drive my car and they couldn't even get it out of the driveway ;D or in some cases even move more than a few feet without doing a burn out

Ace82

the first pedal I ever pushed was a clutch. Soooo much more control with a manual trany... but I've been doing it in California (heavily populated) for over 10 years, plus being a "racer" has always been another pass-time.

just went 125ish this morning from the on-ramp on highway 99 was doing 125 from 3rd to fourth gear ;D ;D ;D can you say felony ?!!! [/s]

I mean yea driving a stick is fun sometimes lol ;D

automatic are the best

you dont know this because when you buy a car in the US or canada or a country with SMART people, you get an automatic car, and if you want a manual configuration then you have to specially ask for it. here in argentina you only get a manual configuration, if you want an automatic one then you have to pay LOTS of extra money and even wait more.

that's how smart people are here.

you have to pay extra for an automatic here too , auto are great for stop and go traffic but reliability standards aka sticks are best

and yes i built transmissions for a transmission shop for 5 years

sticks-muncies-getrags-tranfer cases-pretty much any 3-4-5 speeds
when i quit working there 6 speeds were rare

Auto uses hydrualic pressure to work valves seals seats, usually lasting 10 years before starting to wear out all rubber seals ect (sometimes lasting 15 years ) a standard has 3 seals usually input output and on older models speedo cable all except front input are easy to change

autos turbo 350-400-200 metric-700r4 c-3 ,c-4, c-5 aod ,aode 4l60-e 200-r4

just some types i used to rebuild ;D ;D ;D

oh and boy is it a dirty job for crap pay!!! :( :( :(

I MIGHT be getting a car thats stick soon  ;D 01 GT convertible 5 speed depends on how much I can get for my 94 f-150  :p just put a ton of money in it, the only thing I haven't replaced are the radio, petals, and steering wheel.it has a new engine, transmission (auto :() u joints, tires, rear posi diff, full tune up, new radiator, water pump the list goes on.... I need something a bit more fuel efficiant  :-/

thats a great year it has the better heads 260 hp compared to 94-99 230hp i believe and it has a great tremic 3650 tranni strong almost bullet proof we used to say ;D

nobody in my family has a manual transmission. i also waited an extra year to get my learner's permit which was dumb because I could have my license right now. anyways, i can only drive an automatic and my friend has a stick but he put a supercharger in his car and i doubt he will ever let me drive it. i guess im just going to have to buy a manual for my first car and have someone teach me to drive it.

I've never driven an automatic, I just drive sticks (lol).

And I love it, I love changing gears, it's fun!

It's harder to modify a auto because shift points need to change. A manual you can add horsepower and get better gas mileage, you can utilize the extra power by putting it in a higher gear. Besides its just more fun. I've never bought an auto and no one in my immediate family has either. Unfortunately my daily driver is my work vehicle and its auto, but I can text and drink coffee at the same in Pittsburgh start and stop traffic ::) if that's a good thing :D

I don't even own a car with an automatic transmission, and I own two cars that get driven on a regular basis.

As far as drag racing, automatic is the way to go. No power loss between shifts, super fast shifts, etc etc.

Manual is better for 'real' racing (with left and right turns and everything!) as well as reliability.

Honestly driving a 5-spd in traffic in a pain in the ass, but it's still fun.