Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can you drive a stick?

Let's see what the numbers are. I personally ride a motorcycle, but I guess that is a stick in a way.

Don't drive anything but stick. To me automatics are missing a key factor of control, and they are less efficient and heavier. No heel n toe, no clutch feathering, no perfect shift points its like a banana split without a banana...like a vegetarian t-bone...

(ok ok I accept them in straight line cars and definatelly quarter mile machines)

why would anyone willingly drive an automatic? I had to do a transmission swap on my truck and I couldn't find a manual transmission for that year in my area to save my life :'( I had to go automatic :-/ it was MUCH cheaper for some reason too since when did stick cost more than auto?

I learned to drive in a '56 F100 when i was 9 years old for the purpose of driving it thru the field with my brothers to clear the field of rocks. Country life has its pros and its cons! All of our vehicles had manual transmissions. First automatic i ever drove was the Drivers Ed car, and i had no clue how to drive it.... it didn't have a clutch!!! Didn't take long to figure it out... whoda thought it could be so simple! :eek:

Ted

Wish my parents had a manual car - I have nothing to learn on even if I wanted :(

My parents drive automatic too. I think older people like automatics more than young people.

I hate automatics. There is too much sh!t that can go wrong with them. Give me a clutch, some gears and gear lube inside a box and I'll be happy.

cars iv'e owned
1959 f100 I took the 2 speed  ford-o-matic auto out and put in a three on the tree
1975 trans am took the turbo 400 out put in a muncie 4 speed
1967 el camino took out the powerglide 2 speed put in a muncie 4 speed
my 2004 gt mustang came with a Tremic 3650 5 speed

yea i like standards they are tougher and last longer  ;)

i built transmissions at ford for two years and at a local trani shop 4 years messy job :mad:

I can't drive a "stick" (ie. piece of wood)... I only drive Manual shift Cars and Motorcycles... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Automatics are just big Go Carts... IMHO... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Used to be able to, sort of...not sure if any of it would come back to me if I had the chance again, though. Sadly my parents decided that, in order to get to school (meaning I could still ride the bus, but why, if you have access to a car?), I would have to drive my dad's old godforsaken piece of junk Toyota that stunk to high heaven with cigarette smoke and everything was sticky from him spilling his coffee all over the interior. This was back in the day when Toyotas were butt-ugly and very uncool cars - think Japanese cars of the late 70's!

Needless to say, I wanted to spend as little time in that car as possible. Worse, I was embarrassed to be seen in that bucket of bolts....especially at school. So while I could drive the car, and wasn't too bad at driving stick, it was a very ornery car. It shifted very rough, plus it had a nasty habit of stalling out on hills when I had to stop for a light or stop sign. I rolled thru a lot of stop signs in that car, luckily there was never a cop around....boy did I hate that car! Finally I insisted that my parents get me another car, and they finally did, so thereafter, everything I drove was an automatic, so I more or less forgot about driving a stick.

All my cars are manual (+motorbike), parents cars are both auto. I can understand auto for people who commute in traffic because pushing a clutch gets tiresome when you're crawling a few feet at a time and also puts a lot of heat into them and accelerates the wear, and let's face it, your "average joe" doesn't have mechanical sympathy.

FokoF

I know this may just be a stereotype, but what is with americans and automatics? 16 is the legal driving age right? is that only auto or is it for manual and automatic....
So weird.... Manuals are the way to go, drop in gear when you have road rage and over take the slow bastard in front of you :D