Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

can somebody with a good laser help me out

i'm sure almost everyone here has to have a laser i hope

anybody with a laser and a web cam and a printer can help me out here

this is what i need help with i found this program online its a 3d laser scanner but my laser sucks i couldn't get the webcam to see it or make it work watever u wana call it it wasn't working out the laser i was useing is a real piece a crap shines a straight line well more like to the left a little anyway it broke and i never got a scan with it

supposedly u can use straight line lasers to do the 3d scan if u shine the laser through the stem of a wine glass
kinda like this

heres normal laser
[]-----
heres through the wine glass
[]---|<

kinda hard to explain but i'll post a video link

HERE this guy explains the wine glass around 0:45 in the video

he also explains all the stuff u need to setup the program just note that his scan comes out looking bad

YouTube - How to make a 3D scanner

heres the site for the laser scanner u can download the program from these guys its free i think u buy it to get some other features maybe like ability to save files or something or not i dont really know DAVID 3D Scanner

heres a few videos of how it works

this video kinda sucks but at the end you can see how you put the scans together around 4:40 in the video the scans in this video are way better then the wine glass guy
YouTube - DAVID Laserscanner, Making of

heres another video showing how to setup the servos and crap that u dont really need unless your serious about this stuff
YouTube - home made motion controlled laser for david 3d

all im asking is if anybody wants to try out this program and let me know what lasers and webcams work and if the scanning program even works like the videos show let me know cause i was guna buy a laser but i dont no which ones work and which ones dont work with this program

or if maybe i can still use the little crappy laser i have if i mod it or if i can rip a laser out of a dvd drive any ideas help or comments watever just let me know

Last edited:

well i assume the web cam has to be able to detect the lasers beam. in that case light some insense in the room that should visualize the beam. light it close to the laser. let it go for a few mns.
good luck

michael

Re: 3d laser scanner help

did u even look at the videos? they dont use any insense or anything to make the web cam see the laser the program does the work for u just press the start button and wave your laser over the object u want to scan

Um...if that is real....It's awesome!!!

I'm gonna bookmark this and see if i have any webcam's around the house. My laptop cam wouldn't cut it...

Yes it works.

Your best bet is to get a cheap 5mw red laser with a line lens off ebay.. like this >>CLICK HERE<<

that way you don't need a wine glass and it will not reflect all around the room causing power loss. Now I only recommend this laser for small or close up objects cause at a far distance the lights intensity will diminish. I also recommend this laser to be used in a very dark environment.

You will need to suit the laser to your situation, but I would imagine anything over 50mw with the line lens would be sufficient enough for any medium-large scale scanning.

Hope that helped
-Adrian

I think you need to borrow some periods from lasersbee, mister lookkool3. :)

there are red modules with line generators at dealextreme (from 5~50mw)

is there any way i can make my own laser from parts and get the line lense somewhere else

Yes, if you get a laser diode from an old DVD burner, you can make a LM317 driver for about $3 and house all that in an aixiz module with will allow you to screw different lens into the front to change the dot to a line.

All this info is in the forum... use the search button.