Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I use 2AA batteries?

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could use 2 AA batteries for a 2.2v 808nm 300mw laser diode, without a current regulator?

Thanks.

it will blow the laser by direct driving. the in rush current will be to much for the laser to handle. it might not kill it the first time but it will kill it soon. the only lasers i've read about sucsesfull direct driving is the 445.

michael.

Hmm I want to make a burning laser, I got a laser from a PS3 which was a blu ray, IR and red diode in one to-18 package, but I lost that, and I didnt have a collimating lens, although it did work with a 9v battery directly.

What is the cheapest way to make a burning laser?

Thanks.

anselm

It's not totally fake, it actually does give you hints on how to make a burner laser.:rolleyes:
Ok, admitted, it is a little old, now we have more powerful diodes available.

Walshy, in short, no you cannot use only batteries to drive a laser diode.
Why do people keep asking that?

If it would work that way, why would we spend money on drivers and make our own complicated ones if it worked without them?

It's there for a reason, you know, not just for sh*ts and giggles.

All information is available here on a silver platter to you. All you gotta do is move mouse a little bit and perhaps type something on keyboard in Search fields.

If you cannot find such most basic information, I'd not trust you with it and hand it to you even more directly, nor would I trust you with powerful lasers.

Walshy, in short, no you cannot use only batteries to drive a laser diode.
Why do people keep asking that?

If it would work that way, why would we spend money on drivers and make our own complicated ones if it worked without them?

It's there for a reason, you know, not just for sh*ts and giggles.

All information is available here on a silver platter to you. All you gotta do is move mouse a little bit and perhaps type something on keyboard in Search fields.

If you cannot find such most basic information, I'd not trust you with it and hand it to you even more directly, nor would I trust you with powerful lasers.

well its kinda hard moving the mouse and typing but I manage, because I have a broken hand.

I once broke a hand too. Didn't stop me from paying a visit to local gaming center and kicking a** like never happened. :p

Kidding aside,
You can navigate to this forum and type posts. Why would you not be able to search for something on your own?

What part of the arm did you break and how bad?

daguin

I once broke a hand too. Didn't stop me from paying a visit to local gaming center and kicking a** like never happened. :p

Kidding aside,
You can navigate to this forum and type posts. Why would you not be able to search for something on your own?

What part of the arm did you break and how bad?

He can type posts and solder diodes. His hand is NOT the problem. :na:

Peace,
dave

I broke all my right hands fingers, and I had to have metal pin to straighten them, I have to use my left hand.

I once had a PS3 diode it was violet, IR, and red and also a Photodiode in one TO-18 (and a awesome 12v 32A PSU) , but I didnt have a collimating lens for it, but now I have a few colimtaing lenses, all I need is a diode, and wait for my hand to repair so I can solder etc.

I won't be taking sides here, Dave has a good point but I don't want to be a douche if Walshy is right.

I'll just make my opinion here:
When you get better, then work on lasers. Now, take some rest, you don't want to add a solder burn to a list of injuries on your hand.

When you can search for information, then you'll be able to use it. :)

I won't be taking sides here, Dave has a good point but I don't want to be a douche if Walshy is right.

I'll just make my opinion here:
When you get better, then work on lasers. Now, take some rest, you don't want to add a solder burn to a list of injuries on your hand.

When you can search for information, then you'll be able to use it. :)

OK, I'll be back.