Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can i Pot Mod this?? *with pics*

Cooper

I have stripped down an old laser to see if it could be modded by turning up the screw, but there isnt one... :-?

Anyone know if i can do anything to make it more powerfull?

P.S I dont care if it breaks. ;D

Photo-0279.jpg

Photo-0278.jpg

Cooper said:
I have stripped down an old laser to see if it could be modded by turning up the screw, but there isnt one... :-?

Photo-0279.jpg

Photo-0278.jpg

[Errors have been edited]

Nice closeup pics....
This is a Dollar Store laser... There is no Regulator to adjust...

Do You see that black part on the PCB that says 470.. :-?
That is a 47 Ohm current limiting resistor..
You can reduce the value of that resistor... slowly... to maybe increase the output
of the LD... if it is not at it's optimum power level..
You could replace the 47 Ohm with a 100 Ohm Pot and 15 Ohm resistor in series... ;)

"Please don't try this at home"..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cooper

The pics were off my old crappy samsung d900! They came out pretty well! :)

I dont think i'll bother midding this one then!

What would happen if i took the resistor out? I take it that it would blow the laser for good?

Like I mentioned before... It is a current limiting resistor...

It limits the amount of current going to the LD... :cool:

If you just remove it... there will be no current flow and the LD will be OFF. :-?

If you short it out.... the LD will BLOW because all the current from your
power source will go to the LD.. :'(

daguin

Cooper said:

There is one thing that you can try. I have done this. It works for more than 50% of the little button battery, toy pointers I have tried it on. Simply add another battery. It is sometimes a tight fit, but it also sometimes works. I have about 150 "cat toys" here that I sell at rock shows. They use three AG3 button batteries. With the stock three batteries in them, they put out around 2mW. When I add a fourth battery they put out over 8mW. However, in a different style, that uses LR44 button batteries, adding the fourth battery doesn't change the output.

You really have nothing to lose. I have never had one "burn out" when I added the extra battery. I don't have any "long term" tests on them because I rarely use these little "cat toys" as pointers in lecture anymore. I have significantly "nicer" pointers that I use now ;)

Peace,
dave

lasersbee said:
[quote author=Cooper link=1227285295/0#0 date=1227285295]I have stripped down an old laser to see if it could be modded by turning up the screw, but there isnt one... :-?

Photo-0279.jpg

Photo-0278.jpg

Nice closeup pics....

That is a 470 Ohm current limiting resistor..
You can reduce the value of that resistor... slowly... to maybe increase the output
You could replace the 470 Ohm with a 500 Ohm Pot and 150 Ohm resistor in series... ;)

"Please don't try this at home"..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D [/quote]

Doesn't "470" actually mean 47ohm? The way I learned was that the third place in the number is the number of zeros after the first two numbers. So 470 would be 47ohm, 471 would be 470ohm, 472 would be 4700ohm etc etc....

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1227285295/0#4 date=1227286802]

Doesn't "470" actually mean 47ohm? The way I learned was that the third place in the number is the number of zeros after the first two numbers. So 470 would be 47ohm, 471 would be 470ohm, 472 would be 4700ohm etc etc....

yup. that's how it works..

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1227285295/0#4 date=1227286802][quote author=Cooper link=1227285295/0#0 date=1227285295]I have stripped down an old laser to see if it could be modded by turning up the screw, but there isnt one... :-?

Photo-0279.jpg

Photo-0278.jpg

Nice closeup pics....

That is a 470 Ohm current limiting resistor..
You could replace the 470 Ohm with a 500 Ohm Pot and 150 Ohm resistor in series... ;)

"Please don't try this at home"..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D [/quote]

Doesn't "470" actually mean 47ohm? The way I learned was that the third place in the number is the number of zeros after the first two numbers. So 470 would be 47ohm, 471 would be 470ohm, 472 would be 4700ohm etc etc....[/quote]

You're absolutely correct Gooey.... My bad... :-[