Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

C6 Guidesman driver heatsink recommendations

viking

I know there are some posts about this already but I would like some advice regarding my build specifically.
I have a guidesman C6 host, M140 diode in aluminum heat sink and a microboost driver.

I need to heat sink the driver... do I attach it to the back of the diode's aluminum heat sink? Or do I try and attach it to the inside of the host?
I have some pennies from 1970 that are mostly copper... and was thinking about using DTR's idea about utilizing pennies to make a heat sink for the driver... but not sure how to physically go about it...

I have some arctic alumina thermal adhesive... anyway... your thoughts... recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I dont have an aluminum "pill" like the one shown here
p1011633.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 176
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 181
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 187
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,243
Last edited:

viking

Yea, I read that one many times...
I actually used a picture from that post in my example....

A few major differences:
I do not have an aluminum pill.
I do not have a perfectly fitting dollar coin
I want to use pennies to build a heat sink for the microboost driver but want some advice on how/where to adhere.

Thanks for your reply though

viking

Is that DTRs burnt up thumb? It's famous.

Yep! Since I started messing around and learning about electronics and lasers... (about 2 months ago)... I have sliced, singed, burned, ripped, gashed, punctured, scraped, branded, and taken large chunks of flesh from both hands and fingers. :yabbem:

viking

Here is an idea to use pennies... to heat sink the driver and distribute that heat to the actual host ...
So after I dremel them smooth and attach them together in that configuration using thermal adhesive... then I can attach the driver and then somehow attach the whole thing to the inside - side of the host...

thoughts?

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 162
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 168

viking

Finished grinding down my pennies... stuck them together with thermal adhesive... going to attach the edges of the pennies to the edges of the inside of the host. then I will use thermal adhesive to glue down the driver to the pennies.
I will attach the negative wire to the pennies and the positive wire goes through, down under the pennies, through a plastic shield and soldiered to the switch.

This is my first attempt at anything like this... so any feedback [good or bad] would really be cool.
thanks!

Attachments

• photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 192
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 182
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 190

viking

Note to self... wear long sleeve shirt when grinding pennies into fine dust. it got all over my arms and neck and legs... buried into my flesh... itchy:yabbem:

Fiddy

hey man,

First of all your plastic pill is either upside down or you need to open it up, sometimes theres a 'lid' peice of plastic ontop of it you have to remove, the pill area should be reccessed and have a decent amount of room in it to fit a microboost thats thermally glued to a peice of aluminium or copper of your choice, just tape her up once its done and jam it in the hole lol

the pill should look like this:

5362373189_94fb61c75b.jpg

7062192659_04985fccf9_z.jpg

someones driver installed in the pill:

31601d1298482993-triple-silver-guidesman-diy-1650ma-lm1117-build-guts.jpg

Hope this helps.

Fiddy.

Last edited: