Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying my first Green laser!

Hi,

I'm Alex, and I just wanna start this by saying that I'm Swedish, and sorry for my english, it might not always be the best :)

Now, here's the deal, I've never had my own green laser... So... I'm gonna buy a bunch of them for me and my friends.

I've read the sticky guide on buying a laser for the first time, but I still have some questions unanswered.

What I want is a cheap, acceptable quality laser, I want to be able to see a pretty bright beam in dark conditions and I want it to be TEM00.
I've spend some time researching and reading here on the forum, also lots of reviews on DealExtreme.

Here are the lasers I've chosen: (questions will follow below).

DealExtreme: $21.33 L-030 30mW Mini Flashlight Style Green Laser (CR123A)

DealExtreme: $20.96 Romisen 30mW Green Laser L-D030 (1*CR123A)

Question 1:
I've read that protected rechargeable batteries are the best, but that they tend to be a bit longer than regular ones, will a "CR123A" protected battery fit in both of these lasers?

Question 2:
Most of the people who review on chargers on DX talks about the charging of the batteries,
and batteries that should run on 3.6V or 3.7V are charged up to about 4.2V, and they say this like it's a good thing, is it?

I don't want to shorten the lifespan of the laser nor the batteries by overcharging the batteries. Could someone please explain to me why charging them up to 4.2V is good,
I'm pretty sure the output of the laser will be stronger, I'm not stupid :p, but I want my laser to work, for a few years at least, and not have the laser burn out on me too early.

I've been looking at a couple of chargers, and a couple of batteries:

Chargers:
DealExtreme: $6.71 DSD 18650 CR123A Charger Black

DealExtreme: $8.81 TrustFire All-in-One Charger (for 10430/10440/14500/16340 /17670/18650/CR123A)

And I've figured 3,6V batteries will work the best? CORRECT ME if I'm wrong, please! Maybe 3.7V is the way to go?
I would like the beam to be as visible as possible without totally ruining the lifespan,
like some ppl do with DX 5mW pen style laserpointers by pot modding them way to much.

Batteries:

DealExtreme: Reviews for Ultrafire 3.6V 880mAh LC 16340 Protected CR123A Battery 2-Pack

DealExtreme: $4.90 TrustFire Protected 3.6V 880mAh 16340/CR123A Batteries (2-Pack)

I'm pretty sure that my choices in lasers are pretty good, I've read good stuff about Romisen lasers,
but please suggest both batteries, lasers and chargers, preferably on DealExtreme, because I'm going to order some other stuff from there too.
I love the flashlight design on the lasers, no pen style :)

Best regards, Alex

D

Deleted member 8382

I'd forget about these models and also about rechargeable batteries.

In dealextreme the bang for the buck is the 50mW true green laser pointer. 20$, truly 50mW. If you then give it a hard use, buy a set of 2 AAA rechargeable batteries and charger on your local Chinese cheap store ;)

Ok, do you mean the Pen Style one?
I'm not really into those cheap once, sure, it's strong, but the housing is really poor and the batteries rattle when shaking it just a little... I'm really not very hipe on getting those once xD

I'd rather pay a little more for a cool looking laser ;D

What is your experience on them, True 50mW pen style one?

PLEASE people, I need more opinions!

About batteries & I speak from 1st hand experience here, If you get a laser that uses AAA batteries, The BEST, & I mean THE BEST batteries you are gonna find are the SANYO AAA ENELOOP batteries. They are supposed to hold a charge for almost 2 years once they are charged to capacity, & unlike most other re-chargeables that charge to 1.2 volts, when I took mine out of the charger, put them in a laser, & USED the laser for a few minutes, I took the ENELOOPS back out & metered them & STILL got ALMOST 1.4 volts which is what they metered at when I 1st took them out of the charger. These batteries are NiMH, they don't develop a 'MEMORY', are reasonably priced, are made for "HIGH DRAIN DEVICES" like lasers, camera flashes, RC devices, etc. & as I said earlier, will hold a charge for almost 2 years. I haven't had my ENELOOPS for 2 years yet so I can't vouch for that part, but I can for all the other traits these batteries have. There is a Member on this Forum (jasonck08) that sells these batteries & the chargers for them, although I use a charger that I already had for NiMH batteries, & it works fine for the ENELOOPS, but I did buy the batteries from him. The price was VERY reasonable & the shipping was VERY quick. His ad for the batteries is currently on PAGE 2 of the B,S,&T Section of the Forum. He doesn't carry the AA ENELOOPS though.
To get those, I went to HighTechDealZ.com. This LPF store is run by a very nice Member named KENDALL, but his Forum name is sk8er4514. As with jasonck08, sk8er4514 has VERY reasonable prices & his shipping was also VERY quick. Kendall is a GREAT guy to deal with, for example, when I ordered my AA ENELOOPS from him, I forgot to use the discount code for being a Member of LPF. I sent him a PM about it & he refunded the cash discount amount to my PayPalAcct. the very same day. Like I said, he's a very nice guy, & his store sells all kinds of laser supplies, besides the AA ENELOOPS. Well, I hope I answered any questions you had about batteries, with this book I just typed :crackup: Take care :wave:-----------rob PS, I put this in paragraph form, but when I hit the "SUBMIT REPLY" key, everything just all ran together, sorry but, NMF :scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :wave:

About batteries & I speak from 1st hand experience here, If you get a laser that uses AAA batteries, The BEST, & I mean THE BEST batteries you are gonna find are the SANYO AAA ENELOOP batteries.

I could not agree more! Enloops are awesome!

What about focalprice?

They seem to have just the same lasers as DX has, only little cheaper?

Is there a laser on FP that you guys recommend?

I feel like the lasers sold on DealExtreme are not exactly of the highest quality and probably release a ton of IR... Not exactly good for your eyes.

My first laser was a simple 5mW Green Pointer Pen... I'd say if you are just starting to get lasers to start simple and work your way up. By the time you're purchasing a really powerful one you'll have all the handling experience and information knowledge that you'll need. Better to make a handling mistake with a 5mW pointer than a 200mW laser (especially a low-quality one that may release a bunch of IR).

I would suggest LED Shoppe 50 mW lases! And there are discount codes even though the price is already very low. -Glenn

phoenix i agee with your opinion about sanyo eneloop but they're only 800mah.

i have the 2 BEST MAH powered aaa in the market.
--->i bought from FP 2xaaa sanyo 1000mah HR-4U superlattice alloy EVO...they are the most knowed aaa batteries to be truly and maybe over 1000mah....(labeled as minimun 930mah,but AT LEAST :) )
---> and i bough 2xaaa maha powerex 1000mah....they are truly1050/1080 i read from reviews...

THERE are the 2 best aaa batteries that a laser enthusiast could have...ok they ARE NOT LSD...(low self discharge)...but it is not a problem...generally we play a lot with laser pointer...right?and is better to have higher mah in 1/2months...than have lower mah but durable 1 year(lsd). this is my little opinion.... i use LSF battery only for clocks....remote controller...and flashlight(because i don't use them every week/month)

:)

Hi!

I suggest you get everything ready instead of making several lasers.

See if you like this laser:
Rayfoss

It comes with a nice rechargeable battery AND a charger. Its also a good buy, and its 50mw. If you want higher browse around Rayfoss's site. They provide good lasers and they include a rechargeable battery and charger.

You probably think I'm advertising, but thats not the case. I do NOT work at rayfoss. I am only saying this becuase I have bought from them many times, and they never disappoint me.

Goodluck!

@HanMan5000
I'm leaning towards rayfoss more and more, but I'm unsure about the shipping...

I don't see any weight measurements on the lasers, and they apparently charge per gram.

Do they have any good offers? like "buy 3 or more lasers, free shipping?

Because I intend to buy 4 lasers

@HanMan5000
I'm leaning towards rayfoss more and more, but I'm unsure about the shipping...

I don't see any weight measurements on the lasers, and they apparently charge per gram.

Do they have any good offers? like "buy 3 or more lasers, free shipping?

Because I intend to buy 4 lasers

Honestly, I dont remember paying shipping. The price listed is the price with shipping. Hoever, if you contacter them asking nicely you cna get a discount when you buy a lot. I have gotten several discounts from them before.

Goodluck!

Well, I have now completed the order.
132$ for the following:
x4 http://rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1549
Charger and battery included, with each laser!
x4 flat->round converter for the chargers (free)

If the lasers are of good quality and up to spec, then I think it was well worth the price!