Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying from CNI

rathat

I was wondering if you can buy things from CNIlasers or if it's just bulk supplies to laser companies and they just show products on the page.

rathat

Wouldn't they be cheaper than NL or LG who they sell lasers to?

yes but you would not have any quality control.... the reason that you go through the middle man is for testing and for warranty..... dealing direct is going to save you a few bucks in the short run but you could end up with a lasers that is very under powered or maybe even very over powered

its risky but can be rewarding

rathat

My nova laser is awesome its rated really high anyway.

f22warzone said:
yes but you would not have any quality control.... the reason that you go through the middle man is for testing and for warranty..... dealing direct is going to save you a few bucks in the short run but you could end up with a lasers that is very under powered or maybe even very over powered

its risky but can be rewarding

Meh... In actuality CNI is just as good about quality control. In fact, you'll probably get more than you paid for. For example, opto will buy a 300mW 'RPL' handheld from viasho, but it actually will do 400 avg. Now you're paying for a 400mW laser from opto, when the original laser was just a regular 300mW to begin with. CNI is the same way, most of their lasers are far above spec, thus allowing distributors to make a better profit. BUT it's up to the distributor to stand behind the power reading they give, which is why they are justified in charging more. A good example of this, is that CNI only makes those black pen lasers up to a rated output of 150mW, yet nova sells a 175mW version. CNI is like any other company, if you get a laser that performs under spec, they will gladly take it back and give you a good one, and they fully test the laser before they send it out. Can bad eggs get through? Of course, but not often.

Ask IgorT about buying direct from CNI he isn't a happy camper.  I would sure stay clear of the CNI PL III C as they are ( according to Justin of LG), nearly always far below the rated power after < 5min. and mode not dependable at all.  I have had to send back a >100 mW PL III that mode hopped, and was glad I did not go direct to CNI, and have to send to China to get the replacement!  Just my USD $.02 worth!  -Glenn

I wish to have a try buying 300mW green laser from them soon. But I can't purchase directly from online method as they only accept T/T method only.

Cni propose me 550 euro for a 50 mw... they are crazy or what.... and it was with discount!!

For that price I'd lose 2 days on learning on how to build it myself spending less than half of it!!
What other prices do you know on Cni products?

GooeyGus said:
Meh... In actuality CNI is just as good about quality control. In fact, you'll probably get more than you paid for. For example, opto will buy a 300mW 'RPL' handheld from viasho, but it actually will do 400 avg. Now you're paying for a 400mW laser from opto, when the original laser was just a regular 300mW to begin with. CNI is the same way, most of their lasers are far above spec, thus allowing distributors to make a better profit. BUT it's up to the distributor to stand behind the power reading they give, which is why they are justified in charging more. A good example of this, is that CNI only makes those black pen lasers up to a rated output of 150mW, yet nova sells a 175mW version.  CNI is like any other company, if you get a laser that performs under spec, they will gladly take it back and give you a good one, and they fully test the laser before they send it out. Can bad eggs get through? Of course, but not often.

I gotta say I disagree here, not all manufacturers are alike and they change with time too. Viasho is actually far better to deal with IMO. CNI sends me plenty of bad eggs and I've never placed an order with them where I didn't get an underspec unit. In general, Viasho has treated me better in that way, although there are definitely companies worse than CNI. The other thing to keep in mind is quantity. Even though you may not need to buy 100 units at a time, there's a reason why people don't buy in single quantity either. Between wire transfer fees, shipping fees (they'll easily charge you $50-100 to ship a single laser), and many other risks, it doesn't save you a cent to just buy a single unit. Not to mention that you need a power meter as it really is a lot more risky buying direct than through a company like Nova (and the cost of RMAing adds up too with shipping). So yeah, buying direct is far from impossible, but don't take it lightly. There's a lot of twists, turns and frustrating complications you just don't have to worry about with a company like Nova.

Wonder buying from CNI is much cheaper than Nova, but I do not know how good is their QC for CNI. Is that buying from Nova will get better quality control althought it is less expensive from CNI?

pseudonomen137 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1217570742/0#5 date=1217663568]

Meh... In actuality CNI is just as good about quality control. In fact, you'll probably get more than you paid for. For example, opto will buy a 300mW 'RPL' handheld from viasho, but it actually will do 400 avg. Now you're paying for a 400mW laser from opto, when the original laser was just a regular 300mW to begin with. CNI is the same way, most of their lasers are far above spec, thus allowing distributors to make a better profit. BUT it's up to the distributor to stand behind the power reading they give, which is why they are justified in charging more. A good example of this, is that CNI only makes those black pen lasers up to a rated output of 150mW, yet nova sells a 175mW version.  CNI is like any other company, if you get a laser that performs under spec, they will gladly take it back and give you a good one, and they fully test the laser before they send it out. Can bad eggs get through? Of course, but not often.

I gotta say I disagree here, not all manufacturers are alike and they change with time too. Viasho is actually far better to deal with IMO. CNI sends me plenty of bad eggs and I've never placed an order with them where I didn't get an underspec unit. In general, Viasho has treated me better in that way, although there are definitely companies worse than CNI. The other thing to keep in mind is quantity. Even though you may not need to buy 100 units at a time, there's a reason why people don't buy in single quantity either. Between wire transfer fees, shipping fees (they'll easily charge you $50-100 to ship a single laser), and many other risks, it doesn't save you a cent to just buy a single unit. Not to mention that you need a power meter as it really is a lot more risky buying direct than through a company like Nova (and the cost of RMAing adds up too with shipping). So yeah, buying direct is far from impossible, but don't take it lightly. There's a lot of twists, turns and frustrating complications you just don't have to worry about with a company like Nova. [/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

ilchirurgo78 said:
Cni propose me 550 euro for a 50 mw... they are crazy or what....  and it was with discount!!

For that price I'd lose 2 days on learning on how to build it myself spending less than half of it!!
What other prices do you know on Cni products?

I agree that it's overpriced, but the optics are coated for blu-ray, along with some other stuff like that. Better than what most DIY's are, but still overpriced. Anyone, feel free to add on to this.