Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying Cheap Ebay Lasers as a Host?

Amateur laser hobbyist. I'm planning to build a 2W 445 nm handheld laser, but I can't find any cheap good-looking hosts. I thought about buying this laser off of Ebay:

Military 10 Miles 532nm Green Laser Pointer Pen Visible Beam +Battery + Star Cap | eBay

I was planning to strip it of its parts and insert the following products:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFHJBDI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NFWW2PTPQL0U

Black Anodized Aluminum Heat Sink

Survival Laser Driver (1.8A setting)

I just want to know if it were possible for me to do this quite easily. I don't have a lot of experience with building lasers so I'm hoping you guys can help?

Well, that host isn't one I use for anything over 500 mW. The laser diode you refer to is sold by a member here who goes by the user name DTR and you can get the whole package much cheaper by going through him for the driver as well. You can also find him if you google DRT's laser shop. The leanest host I would put that into is the 501, but it will have a shorter duty cycle. Hope this helps you.

BobMc

Amateur laser hobbyist. I'm planning to build a 2W 445 nm handheld laser, but I can't find any cheap good-looking hosts. I thought about buying this laser off of Ebay:

Military 10 Miles 532nm Green Laser Pointer Pen Visible Beam +Battery + Star Cap | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFHJBDI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NFWW2PTPQL0U

I just want to know if it were possible for me to do this quite easily. I don't have a lot of experience with building lasers so I'm hoping you guys can help?

Consider going to Survival Lasers and getting their "no diode bundle" has everything you need but the diode/module/lens for about 30.00. Than go to DTR's website and grab a diode/module/lens for a m140 diode and your good to go. Should take less than 30 mins to assemble. There's a build video at Survival you might want to watch first, to give you an idea of
what goes where. Best wishes. :)

Edit, make sure you match the correct amount of amps you will need with that driver and diode, info is on their website.

Last edited:

AaronT

2W 470nm+ C6 20mm Overdrive Special

poDbCmWrj

GSS

All the above, Dtr's forum sight and Survival Laser's kits..Perfect match.
There are a few builders here that will setup a nice host with a good heatsink that all you would need to do is connect the 2 wires from the module from Dtr's sight. Way cheaper than you might think from one person who comes to mind.
If you wan't a satisfying little challenge other than wire to wire then go with the above:)

Last edited:

Here is a great host for you buddy, it is brass though but is very good quality and should be fine for 2w even 3w and you could also use your own 20mm or
25mm copper module instead of its brass heatsink with a bit of work!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222441453922

Hi
Pm me maybe I can help you out with your host. I will build you one for the 2W M140 your planning on . PM me if you want to discuss it. Way better than a cheap Chinese host.

Rich:)

GSS

Here is a great host for you buddy, it is brass though but is very good quality and should be fine for 2w even 3w and you could also use your own 20mm or
25mm copper module instead of its brass heatsink with a bit of work!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222441453922
I'm not sure if the OP is capable of building a water or air proof laser that can go to the depth of Titanic's hull or be used on Mars like you do:whistle::)

I'm not sure if the OP is capable of building a water or air proof laser that can go to the depth of Titanic's hull or be used on Mars like you do:whistle::)

Yeah ok sorry just trying to help, i tried to buy one when I saw it but he wouldn't accept my offer of $40, it looks cool to me, He should be able to just press a diode straight in and paste a driver in the head!

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Yeah ok sorry just trying to help, i tried to buy one when I saw it but he wouldn't accept my offer of $40, it looks cool to me, He should be able to just press a diode straight in and paste a driver in the head!
It's all a compliment BBB:beer:
When something comes natural to someone like you I guess we think people will pick up on it:thinking:
It sure is though a nice host:) and really he wouldn't except $4 less??