Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buy from eBay - 7 Watt NUB44 laser pen for $250?

rajhlinux

So this bad boy just arrived in the mail, wow that was quick delivery. It came well packaged. I just put the pieces together and seems like a well built laser pointer.
I know a battery was not included, anyone have any recommendations what kind of battery I should get?
Amazon or eBay links would be nice.

Thanks.

why don't you ask the seller. He is a great person. If it takes an 18650 size then you have a couple of good options. I prefer Ohm life and IMR . They have lots of juice!!! I stay away from ebay batteries as many times they are not what they say. Good cells are usually a bit pricy, but worth it.

rajhlinux

why don't you ask the seller. He is a great person. If it takes an 18650 size then you have a couple of good options. I prefer Ohm life and IMR . They have lots of juice!!! I stay away from ebay batteries as many times they are not what they say. Good cells are usually a bit pricy, but worth it.

Well there's always someone with a better opinion. I guess I'll go with IMR.

I think that this thread needs to be bumped so more can chime in. Samsung is a good brand , but IMR seems to have a little more oomph(better draw). But, what do I know? I know that I used a X-Wossee es 1500 to run a 1.2 W diode on a Samsung and it made the driver start choking(flashing hot) from starvation after 60 seconds. I tried Ohm and IMR and kept it happy for over 2 minutes. BUMP

rajhlinux

I put two new 18650 batteries and the laser does not turn on when I press the button, no manual came with the laser pointer... I messaged the seller.

These are the batteries I bought, I fully charged them took so long:

rajhlinux

You will be more then happy with the device, as I said: I own it for about 3 weeks now and I compared it against my collection of 1-3,5W output "pointers". Also I own a few laser engravers (Laserpecker, Neje, Wainlux, Daja) with which I compared it. Here I think the optics will play a big role in terms of what output characteristic and quality to expect...
To sum it up, I think the 7W device from Zach is one, if not THE best high powered single diode "pointer" device you could probably get! It has a good and nice looking host, and all should be easy serviceable. The NUBM44 is as far as I know the strongest single diode "easily" available at the moment!
The driver board is also very nice, it offers different modes and memorizes the last used one. One funny note: As I got the device and first used it (burning a little mark in my wooden drawer 5m away; this was INTENTIONALLY of course ;)), I was very impressed with the output power, and thought that this already has been "full power". Only to find out later (after rereading the available info), that the "highest" output mode is switched on only with a double -press of the button... What should I say, the drawer got a second one, but even bigger, "branding"... just seconds after my finding...

So @zach: Thank you very much for this fantastic "engraver"!!

For all others in the search of a really nice high(est) powered device: Get this one, you wont regret it!!

In regard to my M31 build: It is not very advanced now, rather proof of concept!! But it will improve soon, mainly in regard to proper cooling and handling... I also have a Osram PLPM4L here, which has only 3 of the 4 lines working... A new one is just underway! From my first impressions the PLP seems to have a tighter beam profile as the M31, but keep in mind this judgement is based on a 3 of 4 rows working PLP...
Next steps would be the design of better mount and cooling, so that I can go "full power" without burning the array within seconds... Maybe 3D Print some parts...

What did you do to make the laser turn on? Mine doesn't turn on...

rajhlinux

Oh god... these stupid batteries I got doesn't work in serial... meaning they are flat top and flushed inwards to the battery, hence not completing the circuit... I guess I'll use some aluminum foil to complete the circuit and return these batteries. I'll get some samsung 30Q batteries.

Seller has been in the game for a long time for mentioning such common battery flat top problem...

Last edited:

rajhlinux

It works :) Aluminum foil did the trick... I'm a bit scared to take off my safety glasses while playing around with this bad boy... I can't see the laser beam, I can only see the laser spot with my OD4+ FreeMascot safety glasses.

Any recommendation for a budget friendly laser wattage tester? Would like to know if I'm really getting 7 Watts of pure photon power...

Thanks.

rajhlinux

God I wish there are some mods which has a key to power this thing on. I would never ever leave the batteries inside the laser when not in use... pressing a button is too easy for the curios minds and accidents could happen.

Hi,
The flat tops your using do not make contact with each other in series . Get some AW batteries with button tops. I wouldn't use aluminum foil thats not a good idea. AW, Panasonic or Efest are great batteries.
Rich:)

rajhlinux

Hi,
The flat tops your using do not make contact with each other in series . Get some AW batteries with button tops. I wouldn't use aluminum foil thats not a good idea. AW, Panasonic or Efest are great batteries.
Rich:)

Thanks, yes will do that, you know what kind of wattage tester I can get on a budget?