Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

burning

A few people have asked what power laser do you need to BURN stuff
ie balloons black paper etc for example
will this >
500MW Beam Green Laser Pointer (1 x 4000mAh) Black ?

can you help please.................

Thanks

GSS

Looks like it would be it..
Paul666, It might pop a black balloon but thats it.. It's the same exact 301, 303 laser you see on ebay for $5. ^^^YES^^^ AVOID that store!!
Maby will be 50mW to 80mW that's it.. There is no 18650 battery at 4000mAh either.. The best 18650's only do 2000MAh at best..

Gss - the cheap "4000mAh" ones will probably be 2Ah at best, but genuine Panasonic 3400mAh ones have been out for ages. A lot of progress in energy density spurred on by demand from EV manufacturers pushing battery producers to do better!

Either way, you're definitely right that laser is far overpriced.

too damn late i already bought that and another , i thought they were from this forum
grrrr, ah well we all do things we shouldnt have done i suppose.. thatll teach me , i also bought this
303-5mw-532nm-green-beam-light-adjustable-light-styles-laser-pointer-pen-with-bracket-red

i thought £13 was ok for that and £24 for this
100mw-burning-532nm-adjustable-focus-waterproof-green-laser-pointer-pen-silver-p-2303.html

tut tut , sorry folks.Next time i better ask a question then wait for reply , take notice then buy............

i took out link GSS APOLOGIES

Last edited:

GSS

Yes, the problem is the name is close to "Laser Pointer Store" which has a add up top on this forum and I can see the confusion.
Glad your somewhat ok with it I guess.
At least you didn't pay something like $79.99 that they sometimes charge:rolleyes:
I'm also seeing this same place advertising in between your posts above which isn't right??:mad:
I hope they aren't paying for add space on this forum??

GSS

I'm going to double post here but it might be the OP linked the store ad instead of their one product?

Hi Paul 666. I have a wicked lasers 40mw 532nm that pops balloons at 20 feet and will JUST light matches. It has an epic
tiny beam though. I find my higher power lasers much more reliable for burning stuff.
My PLE-Pro 520nm @ 1200mw+ excellent for burning and my 3800mw+ 465nm PLE-pro even better.
The latter is a serious fire hazard indoors. And is currently available for about 200 bucks.

Get good goggles. You will need them.

Are we that slow in responding that members just cannot wait??
had you asked.. no member here would suggest you buy from them.
JETLASERS),ORG) Makes PL-Es mentioned above. I have some JLs here to sell but not to UK..sorry --they will ship to you and there is hardly ANY wait.. $38 usd gets you the safest and fastest DHL Express. crazy fast and super safe,,,(which is much more important than fast delivery..)

Sanwu is another company the LPF likes a lot.
AND you should OWN eye protection BEFORE you even order a laser-- JL can send some w/ an order.

I have already bought goggles, i paid about £150 for a laser years ago from a place who were in uk , burned a row of black balloons x 22 in a line in 6secs.....was v good so i set up video and it was dead..............i charged up overnight
[ The most balloons burst with a laser in one minute is 63, achieved by Ashrita Furman (USA), in New York ]
then 2 days later it just stopped working , i got new batteries new charger but nothing , and as i lost all records where it was from i eneded up selling on Ebay a yr ago for £6 broken spares
it was laser with a lock at the end class 4 which i got free goggles with in a case.....

i only wanted it to break the record for popping balloons [ black ones of course ]
i don't go out with any laser, i have 3 for now 2 are for the cats to play with similar to the pixmar one but better as it points down only......
i also have a small aluminium one for them and another black handheld whi
hand held says max ouput<-5Mw wavelength 650 nm 111a laser [ red ] takes 5 small batteries..
as far as the laserpointpro shop goes i suppose i was lucky geting them so cheap , as one came oher day scratched in a jiffy bag No instructions no batteries not even a charger , so i cant even check it, lucky the other i bought which is still not processed comes with batteries and charger i suppose..........:(
i do realise you cant buy in uk now, and there is no way in this world id ever point it at a person driver of car aircraft police officer etc, thts just expletive stupid!!
Another thing about the new laser i purchased from above site the
303 5mw 532nm Green Beam Light Adjustable Light

there is no sticke on saying DANGER , nothing , just a name SD LASER 303 shouldnt there be one? its a Class IIIA Laser so they say..

Thanks Hakzaw1 i read above hopefully all the idiots are now in jail.
mines for inside only. :)

If the chinese sellers actually marked their lasers as Class 3B or Class 4, then customs would seize every one they opened. You are correct that you can't buy anything more than class 2 in the UK, but importing is an option. Your best bet is to get powerful lasers is from quality foreign sellers, such as JetLasers or Sanwu Lasers. Both are not going to rip you off, and they make excellent lasers.

Can you give me an idea on what to purchase roughly up to £100 im on jetlasers now , its all "over my head stuff"
5MW - 150MW
200MW - 1W
1W - 5W
5W+

i understand the wavelength is the colours . but as far as thats concerned i got no idea
best for my money please

just found my listing of the one i had and sold on Ebay it was a 300mw class 3a 635nm

is this ok below for now?

or would i be better with this below

or would you go for this below, but what power /colour

$188 for the challenger 535nm 800mw or is that too much to pay for what i want..............

help me

Last edited:
It depends what you're after. If you only want to burn some stuff and then when you get bored a few days later, put the laser away in a drawer and forget about it - then buying a quality one from JL or Sanwu is probably overkill. For this goal and this only, get yourself a 405nm (violet) cheapie from Ebay for a tenner and save your money. Burning's something that gets old pretty quickly...

thanks Imm01282
........yes im bored , wife has had a few strokes so she lost her job , we were both nurses [ registered , qualified ] and im at home caring for her now 24/7.......
so i want something to do at home so i can stay in and care for her.
so i thought beating a world record for popping balloons would do for a start, then after i will look into learning more and possibly making one or two

so i want to know is it better , a red a violet green blue?
you said a 405 nm but what power please?

with a violet laser i realise A dark target will absorb a larger percentage of this total light output - though on most surfaces, a greater percentage of absorption happens with violet yes ? [ violet burns best ]
so do i also need an adjustable focus?

ps can i buy one from the laser pointer store? the Model 900 Laser Pointer
this has same batteries and is good price i think

god im so lost . isnt easy this.. i want a decent one that will last.. good value for money so to speak
last rant folks, also it would be great if we knew [ as newbies] what brand of battery to but to give us the longest time...., do we buy duracell? or ..........

Last edited:

GSS

Ok just saw your last post, and i'm very sorry for your issue's:( I truly hope laser's bring some joy...

Do you mean 635nm at 800mW for the challenger? It's a nice unit and not to bad for the money I guess but it's small host with a small battery and at 800mW's it has a short run time "duty cycle". I'm not sure if the diode it uses is one of the red 635's that has awful divergence?? Not a good choice either way for a balloon popper record try.

Tough to chose the best for this balloon challenge..
You will wan't a tight spot at a far distance which a 405 can give somewhat "without a beam expander" but 405's are limited to 800mW and that is still pushing the diode limits.

445nm's you can get 7W with a NUM44 but it has awful divergence and would need some correction lenses.
There's a 9mm 445nm diode that can do 3W that has better beam specs.
The most important part other than some good power is a tight spot spread over i'm guessing 80 ft. worth of balloon length??
What did the record setter use for a laser? Did he give that info?

Just to know are the links you gave for this balloon record or to have a few lasers in general?