Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning flashlight

There weren't any better grow lights around in 1982.

roer9.gif

What... ARE you talking about?

Metal halide lamps have been around since the 1980s
High pressure sodium lamps have been around since the 1970s
Mercury vapor lamps have been around since the 1940s
Fluorescent lamps have been around since the 1930s

Last edited:

I can see that as long as you are going to second guess everything I say, I'll have to be more specific when I post something. My wife at that time was a purchasing agent for a large home supply chain and many of those options were either not available, not practical or far too expensive, so my friend decided the halogen grow lamps which were greatly discounted because of my wife's cost plus 10% discount were the way he wanted to go. It was a large basement grow and needed a lot of light. Fluorescent lighting was just not practical at all. In the end I think the whole setup cost him $200.00. So, this is why he went that way.

Now, I could have said all that or..........it was all that was available at that time.

That reminds me of my Marshall 100 watt double stack amplifier I used when playing guitar professionally back in the 1970s. It was the tube amp with a bank of 6L6s and eight 12" Celestion speakers. I never figured out how Marshall rated this amp at 100 watts when turned up to half way it would be heard half a mile away. Our bass player had a Peavey folded bass amplifier rated at 300 watts and 3/4ths the size of my Marshall and had to be turned up to full to keep up with mine at half. It was my baby and my exwife sold it off when I moved to Colorado. I could have killed her for that. She figured I owed her more than the $3,000 diamond engagement ring I gave her along with much of my other personal property worth a total of over $10,000 after only 2 and 1/2 years of marriage.

So what all's going on in the video? I see 2 big tubes that for a while were getting hotter from the base up before starting to cool as the music got quieter, then there's the plasma stuff in the smaller tubes, but they don't look like they are burning up.

And where do you guys just come up with these random gifs? Do you guys have a gif search engine? Just curious. Some people post them so fast like they have one for every comeback just as convenient as a smiley.

Last edited:
I thought there was a 5000lm flashlight that would light brown paper on fire at contacting range. I figure if that's the case, 30,000lm focused ought to burn something at least at 1ft away. It would still be fun to hold that much light.

Yes, wicked-lasers produced them for a while. They were kind of a gimmick.
They consisted of a Projector Quartz Halogen bulb rated for 24V, overrun at ~29.4V provided by 7 Li-ion cells.
The bulb was incased in a high-temperature Barium Titanate ceramic so as not to conduct the heat down the length of the "flashlight".

These are really easy to roll your own. Do be very careful if you do decide to build one. These bulbs burn at nearly 5600K and generate an immense amount
IR.. Using this with Li-ions is going to require some careful planning and heatsinking. :thinking:

Does this answer your question?

you are going to second guess everything I say

RqTOv38.gif

Calm your tits and lay off the hyperbole. It was obvious (for the reasons I outlined previously) you didn't mean what you said: "it was all that was available", which is why I asked for clarification. Thank you for providing it. He didn't care about efficiency to begin with, he cared about initial cost, which is fine.

Last edited:
Well, in addition to that, I was actually answering WizardG's comment that using programmable, different wavelength LEDs make for a better grow environment. Those were certainly NOT available back then, nor was the thought of programming different wavelengths of light to produce a better crop. Of everyone that I consulted back then about setting up an indoor grow, this never came up.

Last edited:

BobMc

Imalent DX80 is what you want. 32k lumens on turbo. It's brutal.

I just searched/watched you tube video(s) on this Imalent DX80 light looks pretty awesome. Might have to order one thanks for mentioning it. :bowdown:

+reps

Physics at work. Cone area coupled with higher frequencies doesn't need as much power. Lower frequencies, OTOH, need much more power to be as loud.

That reminds me of my Marshall 100 watt double stack amplifier I used when playing guitar professionally back in the 1970s. It was the tube amp with a bank of 6L6s and eight 12" Celestion speakers. I never figured out how Marshall rated this amp at 100 watts when turned up to half way it would be heard half a mile away. Our bass player had a Peavey folded bass amplifier rated at 300 watts and 3/4ths the size of my Marshall and had to be turned up to full to keep up with mine at half..

The blue glow is from mercury rectifiers. On the lower registers (bass pedals), the amp is pushing full power (1kW) and the rectifiers are working much harder. It's amazing to see one of the rail yard tubes running into a direct short! If that tube was quartz it would give you a nasty sunburn in short order.

So what all's going on in the video? I see 2 big tubes that for a while were getting hotter from the base up before starting to cool as the music got quieter, then there's the plasma stuff in the smaller tubes, but they don't look like they are burning up.

Back OT, in the 80s LED lighting definitely was NOT available for that purpose. Perhaps if you wanted some dim Christmas lights. ;)

My first blue LED came as a sample from Nichia in 1990. First white in 1999.

...using programmable, different wavelength LEDs make for a better grow environment. Those were certainly NOT available back then...

But that raises the question, if your friend was after a low initial cost, and halogen remains the lowest initial cost per lumen to this day, would he have made a different selection today?

If there was a proven way to enhance his indoor grow, he definitely had the money and the desire to make it work. If that option were available, we would have definitely gone a different route.

Benm

They consisted of a Projector Quartz Halogen bulb rated for 24V, overrun at ~29.4V provided by 7 Li-ion cells.
The bulb was incased in a high-temperature Barium Titanate ceramic so as not to conduct the heat down the length of the "flashlight".

These are really easy to roll your own. Do be very careful if you do decide to build one. These bulbs burn at nearly 5600K and generate an immense amount
IR.. Using this with Li-ions is going to require some careful planning and heatsinking. :thinking:

Using Halogen lamps or other incandescent where it's actually the IR that does virtually all the burning doesn't really count if you ask me.

Yes, it's a flashlight that can set things on fire, but no, it's not -visible- light that's doing it. An electric room heater can do exactly the same and some even emit a bit of a red or orange glow (you probably know the type i mean).

As for how easy the are to make: If you get the right bulb you don't need to do much: Just get a 50 watt halogen bulb with a metallic (i.e. not dielectric) reflector and it'll set paper on fire if you hold it right in front of it.

The ones with dielectric reflectors don't work as well since the reflector doesn't focus the IR but rather lets it through. This is by design: they use this type of reflector to prevent heating up whatever you are trying to shine light on too much, like fresh produce.

The ones with metallic reflectors have them for the exact opposite reason: they need to reflect the IR out to prevent overheating the enclosure. You can find these in flush-mount ceiling halogen lights.

5600K designates the color temperature not the working temperature.

Benm

Obviously, lamps can't run much hotter than about 3000K filament temperature, after which either the filament just melts or the envelope does.

Color temperature as little to do with filament temperature unless it is a perfect blackbody radiator not shielded by anything. Otherwise you can just paint a lightbulb blue to increase the color temperature to whatever you desire.

Obviously, lamps can't run much hotter than about 3000K filament temperature, after which either the filament just melts or the envelope does.

Color temperature as little to do with filament temperature unless it is a perfect blackbody radiator not shielded by anything. Otherwise you can just paint a lightbulb blue to increase the color temperature to whatever you desire.

yeah. I was talking about colour output here not degrees K.

The filament is around 2730-2760c operational temperature.