Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building your own laser worth it??

chucho

I found this forum after i bought my tactical 1.2w from o-like.
I love taking apart everything that gets to my hands to see how it works and try to improve it.
So after reading loads of posts i realise that it would be better starting in this "world of lasers" making my own red laser.
I have a small torch powered by 3 AAA so i decide to use that as my housing.
The problem started looking for the things i needed to get my laser done.
Buying all the components i need heat sink, laser diode, diode module and driver is much more expensive than buying one all ready done with his housing.:undecided:

So i dont now if im a bit stupid looking for components or its true that making a red laser its not worth it... always talking about the monetary aspec. Cause the satisfaction of making your own and seeing it working has no price:yh:

chefla

I would say you have answered your own question with that last sentence. If you want a simple red laser then it is best to buy one. But if you want your own design or a more unsual style host, then DIY.
I found it highly rewarding to browse this forum and gather information, then decide which way to go, order the parts and finally build a laser myself. It is a hobby and it is fun. And it can be done on a small budget. You can buy a red 200mW laser from DX, PA, etc. for less than $30. I think it is very difficult to beat that price if you do it yourself starting from scratch. My first red laser was more expansive...
Cause the satisfaction of making your own and seeing it working has no price:yh:

Building your own laser is not worth it. That's why no one on this forum does it. /sarcasm

Last edited:
Uh speak for yourself.

It's only since the appearance of the arctic that the forums have gone downhill in regards to the ratio of DIYers vs 'burning n00bs'

The problem has been that the number if DIYers have remained about the same.. but there's been a huge influx of people who just want instant gratification and a new 'toy' who have no intrest in experimenting or actually possibly learning something.

However saying 'no one' does it is a bit of a stretch.. since as I said, the DIYer's just get lost in the noise now.

Edited my post just for you, qumefox.

I really shouldn't have to add that at the end though.

Last edited:
It's always worth it to build your own laser. Once you get up into the higher powered ranges for lasers, generally speaking, building your own will be significantly cheaper than buying it (albeit, you may end up ruining diodes/drivers, so it may cost more, depending on how much you screw up).

My most recent ~650 405nm build probably cost me... $80 to make (not including the batteries, add another $8 for that), and I bought the host, driver, sled (contains the diode), made my own heatsink, and batteries, and put it together from there. It's much more rewarding, fun, and, in my opinion, usually cheaper.

Edited my post just for you, qumefox.

I really shouldn't have to add that at the end though.

Yes you do. Sarcasm in no way translates through text very well. Especially on this topic since a lot of the new people that are here fit your original statement...

This is a forum dedicated to the enjoyment and buying/selling/building of lasers. Notice the word "building" I used. Think that goes without saying.

Why would people on here build lasers if it wasn't worth it to them. Sorry but it seems like a stupid question. And an opinionated answer.

Also, building you can customize various aspects of the laser to what you personally want.

Some have done very small pocket lasers with high power, which you would never find elsewhere
or large lasers that will last a long time or with multiple diodes and drivers. Or even custom hosts like the Kryton Groove

And with the right equipment, you can tweak yours to do things that won't be available commercially. For example, I haven't seen a commercial dual 445 "pointer" other than on here.

Building your own laser is not worth it. That's why no one on this forum does it. /sarcasm

i've only bought 2 lasers about 3 years ago. every laser i have to date is a diy.

@ chucho... if you are a hands on guy, then i say build your own. there are many kits here to choose from. it will save you money if you can make your heatsink. but heat sinks are available for most of the common hosts here.

michael.