Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building My First 7w With NUBMM44 V2 need all help I can get!

Laserbran

Hiya Freinds!
So here starts my first high end build, please bare with me, all help is greatly appreciated, I do NOT want to screw this up. This is what I've pulled the trigger on so far. Ordering from DTR's Laser Shop I opted for the NUBMM-V2 450nm 7W Diode in the 20mm Copper Module Case with the ACS5500BU Driver set at 4.5A. I ordered with the G8 lense. So I was originally going to go with the 24mm case but the 20mm is still really beefy(and besides the point). I'm making my own host so that is the least of my worries. Now I'm still reading a lot on this when it comes to best most appropriate components. Now working from the above components back do I need a mosfet before the switch for a load or does this Driver work fine as is(I know it has a ramp up module)? I'll be powering with two 3.7V batteries. Best battery contact and what I should consider with that component wise to help cushion the system? Best switch? I'm not sure where I'll mount the switch, at the butt end or midway. And if at the end should I have the spring at the top or on the end with the switch? I'll be doing a lot of reading and anyone on here who has built using these above components I'm not too proud to beg to see what their layout is(feel free to point me to the right place on here) My host I'll be turning and pressing the copper into(should I use anything between the copper and the aluminum like thermal paste? I'll be reaming the host to accept the 20mm(which I'll measure when I get it but seems to be 5 thousanths under). Any and all walk through would be really helpful. I'll be testing loads and settings etc as I go through with my voltmeter. I'm not even going to open the component packaging without doing loads more research until I'm 100% sure I know what will work safely.

Thanks loads ahead of time guys! :)

Anthony P

I have not built the 7watt, but I have used many of DTR's 20mm modules. They come preset ready to go. Just connect batteries. There is no need for further testing or adjustments. I have always used hosts from Survival Laser. Even if you are making your own, you may want to look at their website to get an idea of the parts involved.

Laserbran

Hiya! Many thanks, just ordered his 20 mm adapter so the front of the laser will be a piece of cake. I can still make the host from that back or maybe I'll go with a pre-made host since it seems really plug(solder) and play but still got my heart on making a unique host otherwise.

Laserbran

I have not built the 7watt, but I have used many of DTR's 20mm modules. They come preset ready to go. Just connect batteries. There is no need for further testing or adjustments. I have always used hosts from Survival Laser. Even if you are making your own, you may want to look at their website to get an idea of the parts involved.

Laserbran

For ease of build I took your advice and ordered survival lasers S4X host since it takes two 18650 batteries not one as the original s4 host does(there is an adapter to extend the host for two 18650s). Now I had already ordered their 20mm adapter for the original s4 host so they got back to me that a 20mm adapter is coming out in a couple weeks for their S4X host. I ordered the best 18650 3200mah Protected 3.7v batteries I could find as well. The NUBM44 v2 driver 20mm copper combo appears to be pre-assembled on DTR's website but I can not find contact info to verify this, not a big deal. Anyway very excited about this build. Wish me luck! Since I'm going all out with heat sinking and giant two battery S4X host what would be a safe duty cycle? I'll probably stick to the typical 60 seconds since I'm seeking the longest life for the diode, they're not cheap. Thanks again to you and everyone on here.

Last edited:

DTR

Yep on the NUBM44-V2's in 20mm with ACS5500BU using one of SL's 20mm adapters just wire the positive and negative leads from the module to the appropriate contact points on the contact board in the pill of the host and then place the 20mm flush on top of the host body minus the adapter. Then slide the adapter down over the 20mm module to the threads on the host. This is important. make sure as you screw the adapter down on the module it does not rotate as that could twist up the leads ripping them from their soldered connections. It is so simple but also easy to overlook your fist time. Other than that you are ready maybe a note to be mindful of the direction you insert the batteries so not to reverse the polarity.🍺

Laserbran

Many thanks! I'll definately be ordering more subassemblies from your site. This all seems straight forward but it's the little things that can become major bummers. I ordered the driver set at 4.5a, I'll check anyway but everyone tells me they are solder and play on here. I'm again using two 3.7v 18650 protected batteries. Thanks again! Just ordered another nubm44 v2 in 20mm with the acs550bu driver set at 4.5. Now what are the advantages of the sxd driver compared to the acs5500bu when I see the acs5500bu can handle or be set to 5.0a and the sxd only to 4.5a? Just curious...the sxd cost substantially more?

Last edited:

Laserbran

Latest update. Finished my first nubm44 V2 7w in SLs S4X host assembly using DTRs 20mm module with 5500bu driver set at 4.5w. Using SLS new S4X 20mm adapter. Using two 18650 2900mah protected batteries. There was a small hiccup but I now have an astoundingly powerful 445/450nm blue laser of my dreams. I'm using DTRs g8 lense. The beam is flat of course but burns wood up to 50 feet away instantly. My meter reads 7.6w! I bought a used meter so not sure of accuracy but DTRs test shows a good 7.5 at 4.5A. I used plenty of thermal paste between the module and host but have kept run times under 60seconds with complete cool downs after a couple three 60 on/60 off cycles. The host only begins to become moderately warm at 60seconds. Many thanks to DTRS laser shop and Survival Lasers! Many thanks for everyone on here who helped and held my hand through this project. Straightforward but still nerve racking being my first high watt build. Been using 190 TO 540 NM goggles from SL of course. So yeah the laser burns instantly, plasma balls baby! Hehe...sorry it really is something these 7watters. A ordered DTRS 3 element lense to help with the beam further out, not sure if that is the designed/desired effect. The flat beam is stupidly powerful as it is. So happy safe lasing to all community members. Now to begin design of my first host, got that laser bug!

Philipnzw

Latest update. Finished my first nubm44 V2 7w in SLs S4X host assembly using DTRs 20mm module with 5500bu driver set at 4.5w. Using SLS new S4X 20mm adapter. Using two 18650 2900mah protected batteries. There was a small hiccup but I now have an astoundingly powerful 445/450nm blue laser of my dreams. I'm using DTRs g8 lense. The beam is flat of course but burns wood up to 50 feet away instantly. My meter reads 7.6w! I bought a used meter so not sure of accuracy but DTRs test shows a good 7.5 at 4.5A. I used plenty of thermal paste between the module and host but have kept run times under 60seconds with complete cool downs after a couple three 60 on/60 off cycles. The host only begins to become moderately warm at 60seconds. Many thanks to DTRS laser shop and Survival Lasers! Many thanks for everyone on here who helped and held my hand through this project. Straightforward but still nerve racking being my first high watt build. Been using 190 TO 540 NM goggles from SL of course. So yeah the laser burns instantly, plasma balls baby! Hehe...sorry it really is something these 7watters. A ordered DTRS 3 element lense to help with the beam further out, not sure if that is the designed/desired effect. The flat beam is stupidly powerful as it is. So happy safe lasing to all community members. Now to begin design of my first host, got that laser bug!

Hey congrats on the build, can we have some pics?

Laserbran

Here is a photo, tonight I will upload a beam picture. This is telling me my file size is too big to post more then one at a time.

Attachments

• 20190918_142101.jpg
    20190918_142101.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: GSS

Laserbran

Here is the 20mm adapter for the s4th and the g8 lense. Again gonna get a proper beam photo tonight to show it in all its glory!

Attachments

• 20190918_144328.jpg
    20190918_144328.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190918_194248.jpg
    20190918_194248.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190918_194620.jpg
    20190918_194620.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 35

rajhlinux

Can a "Super X-Drive 5.5A" driver be used instead? Will it fit inside the SLs S4X host assembly?

Also why are you using G8 lens and not G2 lens? DTR's eBay site sells these NUB44 V2 laser units with G2 lens and not G8 lens.

Here is the 20mm adapter for the s4th and the g8 lense. Again gonna get a proper beam photo tonight to show it in all its glory!
Very nice, good job. I use DTR and SL for all my builds as well with great results! I recently got a 7.5w Sanwu so I wont be building one but for all my builds so far I've stuck with the 12mm copper modules and the copper heatsinks from SL. The 20mm module is awesome.. makes me wonder just HOW MUCH better the cooling would be vs the 12mm setup that I've been using. My next build is a 465nm blue which should be right under 4 watts! I expect it will get warm in the S4X host but hoping the duty cycle will be relatively good. I know my 2.4w blue in S4X host has an INFINITE duty cycle so I'm optimistic