Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building Laser Pointers Using the 445nm Laser Diodes

Thanks Gryphon, I am working on updating the first post, hopefully it will make sense as to what I have learned about the 445nm LD :D

Just a quick note on the lens I am using.

I tried Jayrob's 405nm lens but it did not look to good for me. Others have found this too, including Jay http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-445-custom-focus-knob-aixiz-glass-lenses-51727.html#post720940.

For now I am using a regular Aixiz glass lens which gives a nice "roundish" point. Here is focus and zoomed in from about 24ft away from the wall:
Aixiz 24ftrz.jpg

And here, expanded or out of focus from the same distance.
Aixiz 24 expanded at 24ftrz.jpg

You shouldn't run your laser with the cap on, because it could damage the diode. Although that's quite rare.

Asherz

Fantastic guide jmg, really helpful cheers :)

As buildabluraylaser said, the only issue with it is that you run it with the cap on, I've done it a few times with my PHR and not had an issue but a few members have had an issue with this killing the diode.

Thanks again for the detailed write up, a little rep coming your way :beer:

blrock

@ jmgallego

Great pics!! Could you add some smoke to the room and once again compare the 200mw 532nm with the 445nm?

This makes me think of the 445nm laser pointers on the various advertised websites. I do have to admit the high price tag keeps this out of the hands of irresponsible people.
Regardless they still have hand held lasers with more power than would be considered safe and would surely be far outside of the classification of "toy"

@ jmgallego excellent thread on how to press the diode in, I bought almost the same kit from Jayrob. I had him set the current to 800ma used a copper extended heatshink and drill out the pill. Following your guide seating the A140 diode was a snap, Thanks for that, I hope this thread becomes a sticky....my first 445nm build has went very well. :) +1rep

Hi Xtrm2Rick, BuildAbluraylaser and Asherz,

You guys are right, I should have use to demo the difference in intensity of the two lasers. Although it difuses the light and makes the silicone cap fluoresce, it is not a good idea to turn on the laser with the cap. I made a note on that post.

What I do recommend, as a precaution, to put a cap over the laser in case of one accidentally turns the laser on. And, as I mention, I do not care if the laser diode gets killed, I am more concern about accidentally turn it on and hurting someone.

Besides the caps will also protect the lens from getting dusty :)

Jose

Last edited:
So driving the diode with a FlexDrive at 600mA will be no issue? I wasnt sure if there was a difference between the micro boost and the Flexdrive in performance as to how much power the thing can output, to run the laser safely.

Also, when using the dummy load of 1N4001 diodes and 1 ohm resistor, Is it best to connect it and adjust the power according to red lasers or bluray lasers?

So far, I have not had any problems running the 445nm laser diode at currents from 600 to approximately 1200mA.

Yes, just to make sure that you DO NOT overload the laser diodes, it is best to use a dummy load, measure the current before using the laser diode.

I am in the process of building a dummy load but instead of using the 1N4001 diodes, I will be using 1N5001’s. The reason is the 1N4001 diodes have a maximum rating of 1A while the 1N5001 diodes have a maximum of 3A. Also, I may need to use a resistor with a higher rating so it can stand the current and the heat.

Also, I placed an order for a laser power meter from Kenom, this way I will be able to know what current I am using and how much power I am getting out.

I post my notes once I have these two items.

Jose

Last edited:
Fantastic guide jmg, really helpful cheers

As buildabluraylaser said, the only issue with it is that you run it with the cap on, I've done it a few times with my PHR and not had an issue but a few members have had an issue with this killing the diode.

Thanks again for the detailed write up, a little rep coming your way

Thanks Asherz, I really appreciate your support. I did make some additional comments to the original post.
Jose

Last edited:
@ jmgallego

Great pics!! Could you add some smoke to the room and once again compare the 200mw 532nm with the 445nm?

Sure, I will use the potassium nitrate and sugar technique. I will try to post them tomorrow evening. Keep an eye for the post then. :D

@ jmgallego excellent thread on how to press the diode in, I bought almost the same kit from Jayrob. I had him set the current to 800ma used a copper extended heatshink and drill out the pill. Following your guide seating the A140 diode was a snap, Thanks for that, I hope this thread becomes a sticky....my first 445nm build has went very well. :) +1rep

Glad to hear that it help you :D Thanks for the rep!

Jose

jayrob

+ rep...

I just say your pictures and tutorial... :gj:

I would like to add that there are a lot of options for my 18650 build kit.

Copper heatsink upgrade is very popular...

And one of the other most popular (and recommended) options is to have the pill drilled out, so that I can mount the driver inside the pill. That way, I can leave the heatsink a little longer...

18650%2014.jpg

This option gives extra room inside in case you need to position your module farther into the heatsink to adjust your lens (or EzFocus adapter) position...

in this part you said

2. Although there are several ways to “press-fit” the diode into the Aixiz, I prefer the way someone described here a while back. Place the small hole of the back half of the Aixiz housing on top of the diode. Make sure the pins of the diode are inside and that is properly aligned as in this photo and press it slightly, enough to hold in place:

After this you will not ned the back half of the Aixiz housing, CORRECT?
right?

Pretty much covered all the bases--good emphasis on safety-gotta +rep you on this sir!!!:yh:

one question tho--any advantage or disavantage to removing the pink plastic part from the diode pins, in your opinion?

Does it help to seat the diode in the AixiZ module properly?

:thanks:for a job well done.