Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Build Thread Illustrating Fixed Focus in Hobby Lasers

IsaacT

Update on the 638 build: the divergence is crazy good. I mean the beam stays so thin and intense that it looks like a damn DPSS laser. I will measure it shortly and report back. Hopefully I can get my other builds to similar infinite focus.

jayrob

Nice job! :gj:

Just to let others know that I don't have the ones with the extra hole above the side button hole these days... (your first picture)

Just the single side button hole... :cool:

Last edited:

IsaacT

No, I definitely only got the single hole ones. Very VERY nice hosts. I never expected I would fall in love with temporary on button hosts, but the feel is very tactile, very natural. Very smooth.

Also, I measured the divergence on the 638 laser out to about 9 meters(28 feet), and here is what I got:

Diameter at Aperture: 3.63mm
Distance measured: 9m
Diameter at 10meters: 5.15mm
Divergence Calculated: 0.169mRad

I did this using some quality calipers. According to an online calculator that gives me a divergence of 0.169mRad. I am going to find a place to measure farther out, but even when I am using it for star pointing, it is brilliant. Looks like a thread in the sky. Honestly thinking about holding onto it just for beam specs....atleast until I get my new diode in.

ktroy

What's the difficulty of this for someone with zero experience. This is amazing.
If you have some free time, would you care to build me one at 445nm?

That's a fabulous host for a single-mode collection! I only went with Krytons because I know the host build and heard the Leadlight is difficult to assemble.
Do you find the assembly is easier than expected?

I notice you're doing a 532nm build in one. Does the standard sized module fit in these?

Did you find yourself a case yet? Should you decide against a metal case, I'm just gonna say I'm loving this new case of mine. I didn't plan on going plastic, but it's sooooo durable and hold so much!

I cannot wait to see the rest of your collection. Do us a favor and give us a build thread to let us know what you went through in assembly.

+1 for you, my friend!

IsaacT

Will do! :beer: yesterday I finished the 520. The difficult part for this build stems from the way I keep the cap on it. Everything has to be as well fitted as possible. Also, centering the button thing is fairly difficult.

As for the 532, I am going to have to really contemplate it since it won't quite go in.