Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Build pair - 473nm Stainless & 503nm Copper (Pic heavy)

473nm & 503nm Lasers
Custom Builds
──────────────────────────────

As most of us are aware of the new wavelength diodes, I took a stab at both of them and ended up getting some nice builds. All of the relevant information for these diodes were discussed here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/505nm-480nm-diode-results-100775.html

For these builds, I decided to shrink down two of my favourite host designs that are based on 2*18650 batteries, down to 1*10440. The majority of the dimensions were scaled down to 58% of the full size. I thought this would be a fun concept especially since these are <Class IV lasers. :D

The 473nm laser diode was bought from DTR while he had them. It was put in a module wired case negative to make it a bit easier for me. The host for this laser was based off the larger aluminum and carbon fiber hosts I make.

The 503nm was kindly provided by paul1598419, he did lots of work on the module for that diode, I can't thank him enough. He even spectro'd it for me at exactly 503.2nm. The host for this one was based off of the larger copper-bronze hosts I make, except this one uses brass instead of bronze for the handle. It should also be noted that I varnished it with a Rustoleum brand clear coat, so that it preserves the surface finish. Although you may notice a bit of a "sparkling" look to it in the pictures. Thanks to RB Astro for the tips and inspiration from his guide thread. :yh:

Other than those details I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

2sam49e.jpg

5bw6de.jpg

2jezolg.jpg

9u5jlz.jpg

Sorry for the sh!tty pic here, those are the larger (original)hosts
t4y7vn.jpg

t6w3es.jpg

For scale, 12mm module and 18650 battery
16ln1u9.jpg

Those are 10240 batteries

BEAMSHOTS

The 473nm is my favourite :p
10ge5up.jpg

xm2xwi.jpg

zo70yg.jpg

2mwcyvs.jpg

2gvlys2.jpg

211vzas.jpg

That's it, sorry for the load of pictures, there were -way- more. I had a great time with these builds. :D

-E.P.

Magnificent Sean !!!!
Well done, great builds and I love the beam shots and WLs.
I'm kicking myself for missing the 473nm but here's hoping they'll be back.
I love my 505nm from DTR too.

Also congrats to you and diachi, 100k (Sean, I owe you a +rep on this when I can).

RB

:beer::beer:

Great looking builds, makes me want to try one of the 473's when they come back around. :gj:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Those are a couple of beauties you've got there EP, great work on the hosts! :beer:
I really love that 473nm and the downsized host that you put it in, as I've always liked the full sized version.
:gj:

BobMc

Very nice builds EP you've got a couple of "mini-me's" :crackup:

Seriously though, great builds and write up. Also the beam shots are great also. Think these diodes are of such a beautiful color. Love these small builds. :gj:

Edit; just curious, I see your two 10240's, do you have anything built that uses them? If so, what type of run time do you get out of them?

Last edited:
Thanks a ton guys, I really do appreciate the kind words. I'd reply to each of you individually but the post would be too long. :p I urge you all to keep a sharp eye out for these 470+nm diodes, I can't get enough of mine. Glad I sniped it while I could. :D

Very nice builds EP you've got a couple of "mini-me's" :crackup:

Seriously though, great builds and write up. Also the beam shots are great also. Think these diodes are of such a beautiful color. Love these small builds. :gj:

Edit; just curious, I see your two 10240's, do you have anything built that uses them? If so, what type of run time do you get out of them?

Thanks Bob, I agree with you the colours for these builds are beautiful and go great together too. Actually those 10240s are in the shot because it's the 503nm laser that uses them. :yh: I haven't ran it long enough to determine runtime, but for the size they're doing great. I'm actually looking into even smaller batteries for a micro-build, doing quite a bit of research but I'm very excited for it actually.

Nice. Bet those look amazing next to each other in person. Sadly lack of funds at the time made me pick between the "480's" and the "505's" and I chose blue.

awesome dual build, i also prefer the light blue color but both builds are stunning. also i can't pass those beamshots uncommented,your beamshots are so beautiful and clear and the represented colors are almost the same as the real 'eye seeing' colors :beer:

Last edited:

BobMc

I'm actually looking into even smaller batteries for a micro-build, doing quite a bit of research but I'm very excited for it actually.

Even a smaller build! I'm so curious, finger on the :drool: button.

Best wishes with your micro build. Looking forward to your post/build
pictures.

Thanks all! I have to say I prefer the 473nm over the 503 too, CynicalBrad you made the right choice. I've always had a thing for my blues. :D

Thanks Chris, I'm learning more about getting higher quality beamshots the more I take.

Bob, it won't be happening anytime soon as there's a lot of stuff I still haven't touched on, but if it becomes something you'll definitely see me post everything about it. :yh:

Great looking tiny builds, Sean!

I personally prefer 503 over 473 colour, just a personal opinion :p

Both hosts are amazing!

+Rep