Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BUILD 638nm 900mW HL63193MG in 20mm C6 host.

AaronT

First a shout out to DTR and his
2W 470nm+ C6 20mm Overdrive Special
for inspiring this build as well as the 20mm module assembly.
Also kudos to Survival Laser and their fast shipping and helpful customer service.

Also sorry for the low quality pics, I have yet to invest in a good cam/smartphone...

Here are all the parts gathered together.
IM000933.jpg

The hardest part about this build is making sure you have passed the module wires through the pill and ring with everything oriented properly. Check this a few times before you solder the wired to the contact board.

I was lucky, I got it right on the first try!!!
IM000935.jpg

Here is everything pressed together.
IM000936.jpg

Shot of the contact board assemble showing my solder work.
IM000937.jpg

No build is complete without the beamshot.
IM000939.jpg

Finally a LPM test.
IM000940.jpg

Last edited:

BobMc

Re: BUILD 900mW HL63193MG in 20mm C6 host.

Nicely done 470 in a 20mm module. Thanks for the pics. Enjoy that c6 :gj:

Just curious, on your second to last picture, it makes the dot look yellow. Was wondering why? A camera thing? :thinking:

Last edited:
Re: BUILD 900mW HL63193MG in 20mm C6 host.

Hi,
Great build and choice of WL , Yes as BOB said very YELLOW looking but pretty cool if you ask me . Good job Pal keep them coming .

Rich:)

AaronT

Though the beam profile is "poor" in this 638nm, when focused to infinity, I still find it handy for a little light burning.
Focused to a point it is sort of like a calligraphy pen where light pressure (lift) gives a fine point but with very little change the beam widens.

I like the orange red color and it is especially bright at this wattage.

I haven't run it more than 30 seconds at a time but I think my hand warms the host more than the module in that time. I don't see much reason to run it longer.

I'm using a cheap 18650 not worth mentioning but will be replacing it with a panasonic cell ASAP.

Overall this was a simple, low cost, high quality, build (great learning/collecting build). Great quality all around, I have G2 and 3 part lens assemblies (I metered the 3 part) and the build was barely over $100.

I am planning a clone build around a QSI QL80T4H "1w 808-810nm" diode that is about $25. I just need to find out how hard I can drive it (Hoping for 1.2w or so). On that build I plan to press the diode into the 20mm module and solder the driver to it as well as the leads to the contact board all myself.

Always take proper safety precautions.
With lasers of this power it goes way beyond just using your OD5-OD6 rated goggles.
This includes considering anything around you that can be burned, melted, damaged, reflective, and any living creature that my enter the aria or pass uncovered windows or open doorways.

I feel this warning is especially important with a build this simple. A 7 watt NUBM44 based clone of this build would be no more difficult. Lot's of potential for a beginner to get in over their head.

BobMc

I'm sorry I must have read it wrong, thought this was a 470 build. I see now it's a 638. Still curious about the yellow dot.??

Anyways enjoy your handy work! :)

AaronT

I'm sorry I must have read it wrong, thought this was a 470 build. I see now it's a 638. Still curious about the yellow dot.??

Anyways enjoy your handy work! :)

Poor quality camera.

So funny
This what happens when peaple jump to the pics and don’t read,
It looks yellow but it’s red not blue!

GSS

I see Dtr's over driven special 470nm was the inspiration for this 638..
BBB, the OP's pic's have been changed a few times also to add to some confusion:whistle:

Last edited:
Except for the post title, I see nothing in the text to imply what wavelength it is. To me, it's an honest mistake.

I was more so refuring to bobs response, nicely done 470 then later it makes the dot look yellow was wondering why, He must have been in a rush but was funny to me,

I mean I clicked on the link becouse the title said 638 build saw the LPM reading saw the beam shot it was straight forward to me, So still funny to me!