Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bronx Guy Lasering Airport Flights...crap

Re: Brooklyn Guy Lasering Airport Flights...crap

Another one?!?! What a moron. At least he got what he deserved!

-Alex

gozert

I really wonder why some people think it's funny to point at aircraft. Don't they know how dangerous it can be, especially when a plane is taking off?

Certainly do hope that this asshole isn't a member here!

This is how laser pointers will get banned. Eventually, people will get tired of searching for the guys who do this kind of thing and just make them illegal.
So unless everyone on earth decides on doing one thing, (not aiming lasers at planes) I see a dark future for laser hobbyists.

Idiot, he bought a 303 laser on ebay i bet and it was crazy overspec like they usually are he just had to shine it at a damn airplane whats wrong with people ? too many stupid people that should not have lasers at all this is why they get so bad rep and everyone thinks that having a laser makes you a bad person.

Last edited:

gozert

This is how laser pointers will get banned. Eventually, people will get tired of searching for the guys who do this kind of thing and just make them illegal.
So unless everyone on earth decides on doing one thing, (not aiming lasers at planes) I see a dark future for laser hobbyists.

It's already illegal in most countries, so that's not the problem here. What's bad about this is that people like us, who know what and what to not do with lasers get a bad name.

Banning lasers entirely won't be possible. People can make lasers from the stuff every electronic store offers, and easily get diodes many devices.

Unbelievable!!!!! :banghead:

This guy seems like a real loser!

36 year old Frank Egan arrested after "the suspect's mother invited them inside the apartment."

At that age still living with his mom and his playtime is pointing a cheap overspec 303 laser at aircraft that are taking off & landing at LaGuardia Airport!

Good thing he's probably going to head to prison since when his mom goes he probably wouldn't have anywhere else to live anyway!

:mad:

Gabe

So... Should I stock up on non-buildable lasers now? :/

Teej

It's already illegal in most countries, so that's not the problem here. What's bad about this is that people like us, who know what and what to not do with lasers get a bad name.

Banning lasers entirely won't be possible. People can make lasers from the stuff every electronic store offers, and easily get diodes many devices.

Right, but, along the same lines, any machinist worth his salt could make a rifle or pistol, etc.

They can ban anything they want to typically, as long as the group that doesn't want it banned is a minority.

If its not THEIR hobby, its just not necessary.

:D

Unbelievable!!!!! :banghead:

This guy seems like a real loser!

36 year old Frank Egan arrested after "the suspect's mother invited them inside the apartment."

At that age still living with his mom and his playtime is pointing a cheap overspec 303 laser at aircraft that are taking off & landing at LaGuardia Airport!

Good thing he's probably going to head to prison since when his mom goes he probably wouldn't have anywhere else to live anyway!

:mad:

You are assuming a lot, you don't know, his mother could be retired or in poor health and he could be taking care of her or she could just be old and unsafe for her to live alone, there are legitimate reasons he may be living with his mother. Although if that were the case then I feel sorry for his mother.

Clearly though he is a complete imbecile, the article says he was using the laser from the apartment window! How could anyone be that stupid? You would think he would walk a few blocks to someplace with not many people around. He could probably plead innocent by reason of mental retardation. :crackup:

Alan

I have concerns regarding future laws banning the ownership of laser pointers too, this kind of thing will continue to happen, I'm afraid. I'm switching to IR to avoid problems like that.

Teej

I have concerns regarding future laws banning the ownership of laser pointers too, this kind of thing will continue to happen, I'm afraid. I'm switching to IR to avoid problems like that.

But how will you be able to tell if you hit the cockpit or not if you use IR?

:thinking:

:scared::lasergun:

You are assuming a lot, you don't know, his mother could be retired or in poor health and he could be taking care of her or she could just be old and unsafe for her to live alone, there are legitimate reasons he may be living with his mother. Although if that were the case then I feel sorry for his mother.

Clearly though he is a complete imbecile, the article says he was using the laser from the apartment window! How could anyone be that stupid? You would think he would walk a few blocks to someplace with not many people around. He could probably plead innocent by reason of mental retardation. :crackup:

Alan

Alan,

Very true and in truth I wasn't directly making a comment about his living with his mom except for the fact that combined with what he did also seems to show him to be a real Putz!

I know of more than a few people who live with their elderly parents for many acceptable reasons that are no reflection on the people doing it. Just Frank's actions make him out to be a momma's boy basement dwelling schlepp!

SteveT

Total and utter pillock!

Banning them won't do much anyway. There
are already so many of them around and too
many online retailers eager to make a buck
and ship them in illegally. Imbeciles and
people with bad intentions will still be able to
get a hold of them and cause trouble.

It's like the model aircraft thing. Model
planes and helicopters have been around for
years. They become popular and incidents
are bound to increase.

These kinds of articles no longer surprise me at all, except to frustrate.

Unfortunately, yes, people just don't realize the potential for harm.

That said, to date, a laser pointer has never caused any aviation accident (thankfully) so I find the paranoia about them to be misplaced.

I'm also extremely annoyed that several articles I read about this particular case, mention pilots being treated for injuries. Now that's just true BS. There is no way in hell that laser has anywhere near the necessary divergence and power at a distance to do any kind of harm. I'm probably more seriously "injured" on my nightly walks by car headlights.

PS - I accidentally subjected it as a Brooklyn guy instead of a Bronx guy...if a mod could edit that.

Hit edit, and then advanced edit. You can then change the thread title.