Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broke my laser

Tmack

Some people love pointing out technicalities when the intended subject is clear.

To the op. Look at seller overfeel on ebay for a replacement. He has some of the best ebay cheap pens and you can get r/g/violet for a little over 15$

He also has some nice pointers that are near 100mw for 17$ again in the same three Wavelengths.

Last edited:
Buy form reputable sellers if you want the laser to be up to spec. Search the forum for good people to buy from.

Basically $1 for every 1mW.
CNI's 532's at 500mW are $0.52 a mW not $1. At the 10 piece price $0.416 per mW
CNI+high power green = win

Last edited:
If you get some IR safety glasses it might be possible to repair the laser you have. The crystals in those pens are epoxied on so you will have to carefully remove the crystal set and scrape the remaining epoxy off both surfaces being careful not to drop any into the diode. Then practice getting the alignment right. It's not too difficult to get green but getting it aligned PERFECTLY will be a little harder. once you know the alignment that works best a tiny drop of epoxy will hold it in place.

The reason I say practice first is because when you add the epoxy you will inevitably move the crystal set just a tad and will need to reset it. If you practice and are expecting the tiny movement you won't enter panic mode :)

If you decide to fix the pointer you have and have any questions, let me know.

Don't mess with that unless you have some 808 - 1064nm safety glasses. The diode in there is emits very
strong infrared (much more than 30mW). It is a light which cannot be seen.

the JD850 ?

No, I'm talking about the one that broke. Like Javalin says, it can be fixed, but you NEED
safety glasses which block both 808nm AND 1064nm, or else you will fry your eyes. A better
idea would be to get ones that block 532nm, 808nm, and 1064nm in case of any accidental
reflections. It can be done, but it takes a LOT of patience.

Tmack

It's all well and good if you are able to fix it, but it is a 6$ pen. Personally I would just replace it with a three pack.

No, I'm talking about the one that broke. Like Javalin says, it can be fixed, but you NEED
safety glasses which block both 808nm AND 1064nm, or else you will fry your eyes. A better
idea would be to get ones that block 532nm, 808nm, and 1064nm in case of any accidental
reflections. It can be done, but it takes a LOT of patience.

I'm not sure if I'd get the 532 blockers. I know that 30mW can still blind but if done safely it would benefit the OP to be able to see the dot and how subtle changes will change the dot. Besides while setting up and all the way until completion the dot won't be focused. I think the 808nm glasses would be a better choice but even that won't be focused and wouldn't pose much danger unless the OP was trying to be stupid.

Having said that, there is no way to ensure that you don't have any safety problems. You can only mitigate the dangers present. Cheap 808 glasses would probably be enough. You only get 2 eyes and in this hobby there are rarely second chances.

Safety first! Lase safe, and have fun!

EDIT: I have to second what Tmack said, it's much easier to just buy another. But I know what's it's like to want to repair it as well.

Last edited:

SKeeZ

looks like you weren't able to escape fate... see what i did there :)

I can personally attest to the quality of the 1064nm safety glasses o-like sells if you want to go that route.
They block nearly 100% of 760-940nm. I don't know how good they are at actually blocking 1064nm as I
don't have a 1064nm laser to test with (yet). They were tested with an IR photodiode which is even more
sensitive than an LPM.