Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brand new batteries won't work

Hey guys. This is my first post here, but I've been reading articles and stuff for a few weeks now.

Anyways, I just got my new <50 mW laser pointer from LED Shoppe (my first pointer ever) and it works great! But I figured if I put some better batteries in it then it would work a little better. It came with "Andali" brand batteries.

So I switched those out for some brand new Duracells and it doesn't even shine! If I look down inside the pointer I can see just a tiny spot of light. They are the same battery type (AAA, 1.5V, alkaline) so I don't get it. I tried a few sets of batteries so I know they aren't defective.

Anyone have an idea?

jayrob

Hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but those pointers are usually case positive. (positive end of batteries toward tail cap)
Jay

Hm yeah that would be a problem... but I double checked it and it's still not working. I had my brother try new batteries in his too and he's got the same problem.

I don't know, this doesn't make any sense to me.

I know you said your new batts are AAA1.5v. also get a digital multi meter and check the new batts voltage. do a side by side comparison with the old. Also put the old ones back in to see it still works at all. :-?

thanks
michael

Hm.. thanks for the input. I don't have a multimeter but that's ok.

I bought a couple rechargeable AAA's from Radioshack and they work great. I guess my laser just doesn't like Duracell? I really don't understand it but it's not a problem anymore ;)

Would you look down the barrel of a loaded gun? Why look into a laser ?
OMG -- what could have happened?

Mike

Steve NZ

This guy is on to something.
I have a green laser, would not work with Eastpower super heavy duty, lead, Hg and Pb free 1.5v batteries.
Total measured voltage 3.55v
Does work with Energizer alkalines.
Total measured voltage 3.31v
???