Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*** BluRays for $25... ***

Is this still available? Or does anyone have to sell for the same(or cheaper) price?

Daedal

toked323 said:
oh sorry daedal just thought you should all get in the fun and its under 400$

That's a pretty good price :)

I'm sure you'll get interest at that price :p

--DDL

Daedal

scopeguy20 said:
Hey Mo! Are you going to get a bluray into a cylinder one 'o these days? ;D

For Sure! I've got parts coming in to make this a really good laser. You I got you down for at least one of them ;)

Pictures will be up as soon as I get something 'solid' together :)

--DDL

Daedal

SargeMX5 said:
Is this still available? Or does anyone have to sell for the same(or cheaper) price?

These should be available soon... and by soon I mean 2 weeks, 3 maximum.

--DDL

cdanjo

Hi Daedal,  
 I'd love to get in on the next GB for Blu-rays... I popped one due to a bad power supply (shot a transient through it), and another one got weak suddenly after running at 25mW for a while (could have also been static since my soldered ground wire snapped while I was playing with it).   :-/
 I have only one Blu-Ray left and I don't want to kill it!  I have parts for several blu-ray lasers, so I want more diodes!  ;D

Thanks for organizing these GBs -- and even at your own expense too??  You are an inspiration to us all!!  

thanks!
-colin

ill probably be in for the next buy. Just a quick question, do these come in the complete PS3 module(like that link in the first page shows)? If so are the diodes easy to remove out of their original housing? Is the DDL driver module suitable for running these type of blue ray diodes?

just wondering were the blu-rays shipped off?

no rush seriously i don't want to seem rude

Thanks,
Mitch

SargeMX5 said:
ill probably be in for the next buy. Just a quick question, do these come in the complete PS3 module(like that link in the first page shows)? If so are the diodes easy to remove out of their original housing? Is the DDL driver module suitable for running these type of blue ray diodes?

ditto on his first question

the DDL driver can be used, just:

INSTEAD of 2 10homs resistors in parallel, use a 33 ohm resistor

and you need more than 6.5 v input, preferably 9v

regards,

amk

Thanks amk, to clear things up what mA reading and voltage reading should i be getting as the output from the driver? What should be the max voltage and the max mA?

Gazoo

Try to keep thinking in terms of current...the hell with voltage.. ;D I never even check the voltage anymore unless I am curious. For the blu-ray...I would not go over 38ma's. You can run it with less and it will still lase.

If you are using Daedal's driver, a standard 9 volt battery will do the job nicely since the current the laser draws is so low.

Removing the diode is incredibly easy. I was able to press it out of the heatsink using the tips of my fingernails...lol. The main concern is static electricity. Make sure you have yourself grounded with a wrist strap before doing anything. I also used an anti-static mat.

And yes, these come in "sleds". There are some good optics. As a reminder all you really need to know is here:

http://www.fineartradiography.com/hobbies/lasers/blu-ray/diode.html

for drivers, do you guys go with 1/2 watt resistors or 1watt? Ill definatley be in the next GB

Skram0

Gazoo said:
The main concern is static electricity. Make sure you have yourself grounded with a wrist strap before doing anything. I also used an anti-static mat.
Since the side is off my computer case, I just touch the metal frame every now and then to discharge anything I may have built up. But I never feel any sort of shock when I do so I guess I never build up anything to begin with. But I think if you're always working with the diode while it's suspended from ground, i.e. not near ground potential, you shouldn't have to worry about static shocks. If your body has a static buildup then it's looking for ground, not a floating laser diode which leads to nowhere. It's not like you're going to touch the diode and it goes through it back to you causing a shock. Like a bird on a high voltage wire. :)

Gazoo

SargeMX5 said:
for drivers, do you guys go with 1/2 watt resistors or 1watt? Ill definatley be in the next GB

You can get by very easily with a 1/4 watt resistor...use the formula..lol

P=1.25 X I

1.25 X .038ma's = .0475 watts.

Skram0 :
It also depends on the humidity. During the summer I never lost a diode to static electricity. But now with winter here I am very careful, and blu-rays are much more sensitive to ESD....at least that is what has been reported. So it is better to error on the side of caution.

yea, they are sensitive, the ONE time i forgot to make sure the capacitor didn't have any residual juice, it DID had enough juice to cause COD, now it's a bluray LED, the red laser in it still works fine though.

i can't express how useful it is to have a tester bluray diode, though static may kill them easily, i find the bluray to be quite tough (at least this LED one is), i have tested sooo many circuits with this thing! and it was especially useful with 'test circuits' the circuits I wasn't sure would even work properly.